News   May 23, 2024
 356     0 
News   May 23, 2024
 766     7 
News   May 23, 2024
 1.1K     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

I wondered if this was so - particularly since Union's platforms are so narrow. Loading and unloading delay, and passage of trains through crowded platforms, is not what it might be under optimal platform design.

I can't help but think that there's a better way - perhaps set it up so that platform loading on even-numbered platforms and offloading onto odd-numbered platforms. But let's be honest, there's a lot that needs to be done before we even worry about that kind of fine detail.

As to turning regulations, if TC ever gets their heads around crash worthiness specs, the next battle will be brake and control continuity. The regulations are written as if every train has a vintage 1876 Westinghouse air brake control at one end (they kinda do) and a 1940-era 27-pin diesel MU control cable between cars (as they do). Technology has come a ways, and I hope whatever EMU GO buys will have a radically modern braking and control system.

- Paul

Well, they are finally coming around. They have made some minor changes and improvements - for instance, within the this calendar year (I believe) turning trains within the USRC are now exempt from doing a brake test while changing ends. Hurray for small miracles, right?

Could you help to clarify what "upset limit" means?

"Upset limit" is another way of saying the "theoretical maximum".

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

The section of the report (p.22) Steve Munro mentioned is the same I quoted from, and to me the question stands. I still think this is being designed as a line station, not a terminal. But the "future relief" certainly could also include turning that into a terminal station once the fabled DRL extension to the fabulous new deck park is built.

A less-remembered variant of the scheme from a few years back was, instead of terminating a couple of lines at Spadina, to build a tunnel under Front and end them at Union. This would be about a kilometre, and a station spanning York to west of Simcoe would provide walkable links to the financial district, subway line 1, and the area around the Convention Centre. That would be degrees of magnitude simpler and cheaper than the DRL shuttle idea or a tunnel from Spadina to the Don under the existing rails.

Well, they are finally coming around. They have made some minor changes and improvements - for instance, within the this calendar year (I believe) turning trains within the USRC are now exempt from doing a brake test while changing ends. Hurray for small miracles, right?

That's not entirely correct, we still need to do a number 3 brake test when we change crews and/or change ends at Union which most of the Lakeshore jobs now do outside of rush hour. Like before we are still required to observe the application and release of the brakes on the last car of the train, the difference is now we can do this test by observing the BP pressure readings given on the PAS - Priority Alarm System(which as been available for years, they sure took their sweet time), instead of having the conductor watch the brakes in person. Basically it's like our SBU/TIBS(used for brake tests on freight trains for those who don't know what this is), minus a few features. Wouldn't be feasible for them to have crew changes at Union, implement the quick turn around at Oshawa and give crews time to rest at Union instead of Oshawa, otherwise.

We're also allow to use this procedure for our crew changes at Mimico. The only curious thing is why they haven't implement this procedure at every other location where crews change ends(at least in GO territory), e.g. Oshawa.

In the last few days alone, I've seen various evening commute Lakeshore West overshoot their platforms (by varying extents, but less than 1 coach-length overshoot). THREE times. A couple minutes later, the train backs up, and the doors finally open.

I guess the notchy behavior of the new cab brakes are still challenging, eh?

In the last few days alone, I've seen various evening commute Lakeshore West overshoot their platforms (by varying extents, but less than 1 coach-length overshoot). THREE times. A couple minutes later, the train backs up, and the doors finally open.

I guess the notchy behavior of the new cab brakes are still challenging, eh?

I would guess that wheel slippage due to the fall leaves would be a big factor. I know GO has struggled with it in the past, and there isn't much to do about it except having staff being more prudent in their stopping distance, and ensuring sanders are filled.

Could be a factor, but not sure if this is the chief overriding factor --

It almost never happens to me when going eastwards. One of the train drivers says it happens a lot more when going westwards due to the "digital" or "notchy" stepping behavior of the new cab brakes, harder to modulate smoothly....

Last edited:
According to the GO FAQ, the digital automated signage in the accessibility coaches has started its rollout: "The first coach with digital signs went into passenger service on November 17, and approximately two coaches per week thereafter until all accessibility coaches have screens in spring 2017."

According to the GO FAQ, the digital automated signage in the accessibility coaches has started its rollout: "The first coach with digital signs went into passenger service on November 17, and approximately two coaches per week thereafter until all accessibility coaches have screens in spring 2017."
Excellent news!
I am deaf, so this is important on unfamiliar routes.

They're coming to all coaches, woo hoo! Just accessibility ones first.

According to poster djsurflfs over at CPTDB, GO will launch weekend service on the Barrie Corridor (year round) this coming January.

Other service enhancements (weekday and additional, 2-way peak) will be added later, subject to completion of:

• Passing track between York University and Rutherford
  • Temporary storage tracks at Bradford
  • 7th storage track at Barrie storage facility

Last edited:
Gormley GO station opens Monday, December 5th, 2016 as the new northern terminus of the Richmond Hill line. 850 parking spaces, bus loop for route 61 Gormley-Richmond Hill-Langstaff-Union bus, etc. detailed on the announcement page: http://www.gotransit.com/public/en/news/gormley/default.aspx

It will be serviced by five trains each way per day, during peak; interestingly, they aren't running the first and last northbound Richmond Hill trains (there are normally 7) there, which is strange because the storage yard is north of Gormley so they have to drive through the station regardless...not sure what the rationale is for not servicing it.

I know that there have been some questions of whether it might possibly alleviate a bit of the parking demand at my station, Aurora GO--it's quite distant, but looking at the map it's conceivable that there might be some people coming in from the east, and certainly it would be a better choice for people coming down off the northern 404.

After this, I believe Bloomington GO is scheduled for 2018--construction has already started.

According to poster djsurflfs over at CPTDB, GO will launch weekend service on the Barrie Corridor (year round) this coming January.

Other service enhancements (weekday and additional, 2-way peak) will be added later, subject to completion of:

• Passing track between York University and Rutherford
  • Temporary storage tracks at Bradford
  • 7th storage track at Barrie storage facility
Awesome, great to hear

Can't wait for Brampton!
Gormley GO station opens Monday, December 5th, 2016 as the new northern terminus of the Richmond Hill line. 850 parking spaces, bus loop for route 61 Gormley-Richmond Hill-Langstaff-Union bus, etc. detailed on the announcement page: http://www.gotransit.com/public/en/news/gormley/default.aspx

It will be serviced by five trains each way per day, during peak; interestingly, they aren't running the first and last northbound Richmond Hill trains (there are normally 7) there, which is strange because the storage yard is north of Gormley so they have to drive through the station regardless...not sure what the rationale is for not servicing it.

I know that there have been some questions of whether it might possibly alleviate a bit of the parking demand at my station, Aurora GO--it's quite distant, but looking at the map it's conceivable that there might be some people coming in from the east, and certainly it would be a better choice for people coming down off the northern 404.

After this, I believe Bloomington GO is scheduled for 2018--construction has already started.
Can't wait to go up

Thanks for all the updates they do.

Can't wait for Brampton!

Well, that begs a question.

The most recently stated reason why evening and weekend service hasn't come to Bramalea (if not Brampton) was crew shortages.

So, how has ML found the people to run up the Newmarket line, but not the Bramalea line? Don't they care about Bramalea any more?

- Paul

The most recently stated reason why evening and weekend service hasn't come to Bramalea (if not Brampton) was crew shortages.

So, how has ML found the people to run up the Newmarket line, but not the Bramalea line? Don't they care about Bramalea any more?

- Paul
Very interesting. I thought they hired 300 more people in 2011. Seems ML needs to make up their mind here. I also believe the hourly service is to Mt Pleasant. I know Markham is also going to take a bit long because of the track widening at the Scarborough Markham border.

- Paul

could be because they already had weekend service for 3 summer seasons on the Barrie Line. Either technical reasons (testing out weekend service) or union based (perhaps new union agreements for working on weekends need to be drafted, and the Barrie Line already had this for the summer season)

Back