News   Jun 14, 2024
 2.2K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.6K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 814     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

Well, that begs a question.

The most recently stated reason why evening and weekend service hasn't come to Bramalea (if not Brampton) was crew shortages.

So, how has ML found the people to run up the Newmarket line, but not the Bramalea line? Don't they care about Bramalea any more?

- Paul

I'm not sure what exactly they are thinking in terms of timing, but for whatever reason the weekend service to Barrie has taken precedence. Weekend and evening service to Mount Pleasant will start in April, however.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Cool. Any idea about reverse-peak - particularly AM reverse-peak? For all those commuting to Brampton?

Commute to Brampton? Who does that? Oh wait. All-day two way really is a game changer. Now someone from Toronto really could get a job in Brampton. When in place, with the ability to board mid-town like Mount Dennis (at the end of a higher order line) or Bloor with a better connection to Line 2, all kinds of commutes that used to look something between impossible, or brutal or stupid will be smooth (smoother?) and possible. Could not come fast enough.

Regarding Gormley GO, I can't stop thinking about this, it doesn't seem to make sense--can anyone figure out why GO is having the first and last northbound Richmond Hill trains terminate at Richmond Hill, not servicing Gormley, when they have to go through Gormley anyways to reach the Bethesda yard? I can't figure it out--even if they expect minimal demand at Gormley for those two, it wouldn't slow down any other passengers' trips as it's the last station, and again, the train has to go right through it anyways, stop or not.

Bethesda has 6 tracks, so at least one of those two would fit there. As for the other, if the first and last are shorter, presumably they could fit both in one track there...or the odd one out could sit at Gormley for the night, since they've built the second track for freight to pass anyways.

Aren't there only 5 southbound trains in the morning? If so, they would presumably only leave 5 trains parked at the yard overnight, and the first and last northbound trains would deadhead back after arriving at Richmond hill, if they went all the way to Gormley then there might not be enough time for the first train to get back to Union and get out of the way of the next one.

Aren't there only 5 southbound trains in the morning? If so, they would presumably only leave 5 trains parked at the yard overnight, and the first and last northbound trains would deadhead back after arriving at Richmond hill, if they went all the way to Gormley then there might not be enough time for the first train to get back to Union and get out of the way of the next one.

Ah. That makes sense. I didn't realize they were still deadheading a couple of them back from RH...seems like a potentially messy practice, but I'm sure they have their reasons.

Thanks Dan.

So is Mt Joy being pushed to 2019? Thanks in Advance.

The last document I saw has evening service starting in September. That was current as of June, however, and there have already been a couple of minor alterations to it.

Cool. Any idea about reverse-peak - particularly AM reverse-peak? For all those commuting to Brampton?

I'f I'm reading the document right - it's certainly not clear on it by any means - it looks like they will be starting up some limited counter-peak service in June.

Regarding Gormley GO, I can't stop thinking about this, it doesn't seem to make sense--can anyone figure out why GO is having the first and last northbound Richmond Hill trains terminate at Richmond Hill, not servicing Gormley, when they have to go through Gormley anyways to reach the Bethesda yard? I can't figure it out--even if they expect minimal demand at Gormley for those two, it wouldn't slow down any other passengers' trips as it's the last station, and again, the train has to go right through it anyways, stop or not.

Bethesda has 6 tracks, so at least one of those two would fit there. As for the other, if the first and last are shorter, presumably they could fit both in one track there...or the odd one out could sit at Gormley for the night, since they've built the second track for freight to pass anyways.

As of December 5th, 5 trains will be stored at the yard at Bethesda (4 are stored there now). The other trains will deadhead back from Richmond Hill Station, and need to do so in such a way as to avoid interfering with the northbound revenue moves.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

The last document I saw has evening service starting in September. That was current as of June, however, and there have already been a couple of minor alterations to it.

I'f I'm reading the document right - it's certainly not clear on it by any means - it looks like they will be starting up some limited counter-peak service in June.

As of December 5th, 5 trains will be stored at the yard at Bethesda (4 are stored there now). The other trains will deadhead back from Richmond Hill Station, and need to do so in such a way as to avoid interfering with the northbound revenue moves.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.
Awesome to hear. I guess weekend service in two years, too.Is metrolinx moving faster now? Or just hitting targets on time?

Last edited:
I'm not sure what exactly they are thinking in terms of timing, but for whatever reason the weekend service to Barrie has taken precedence. Weekend and evening service to Mount Pleasant will start in April, however.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.
Dan, are you able to confirm the third train planned for West Harbour GO in Hamilton next spring?

Infact, let's take this all the way. When is 7-day all day service coming to West Harbour, 2020?

When passengers show up to use the service.

After UPX shat on GOs operating budget in 2015 I doubt they'll ever schedule large improvements on speculation alone ever again. They'll run more trains when passengers start showing up to the ones that run today.

After UPX shat on GOs operating budget in 2015 I doubt they'll ever schedule large improvements on speculation alone ever again. They'll run more trains when passengers start showing up to the ones that run today.

I can empathise with the sentiment, watching the Slow pace on Brampton. But to be fair, if GO didn't have faith in this route they wouldn't be doing the huge project to add a track from Bayview to West Harbour. I expect that as soon as that work is complete, we will see the all day service extended. The bridge will be done next year, and most of the track is already laid. There is no doubt an official start date, but I don't have it handy. I will guess spring 2018.

- Paul

The service has to be there before riders show up. UPX was poorly executed and now they changed the price, they got high ridership. But even that will shrink once Brampton gets all day service anyway withing the next 6 months.
I can empathise with the sentiment, watching the Slow pace on Brampton. But to be fair, if GO didn't have faith in this route they wouldn't be doing the huge project to add a track from Bayview to West Harbour. I expect that as soon as that work is complete, we will see the all day service extended. The bridge will be done next year, and most of the track is already laid. There is no doubt an official start date, but I don't have it handy. I will guess spring 2018.

- Paul
Thanks Paul. Seems like a good time line.

Awesome to hear. I guess weekend service in two years, too.Is metrolinx moving faster now? Or just hitting targets on time?

Remembering that this is a report from June - but they had projected weekend service to start to Mount Pleasant at the same time as the evening service in April.

Dan, are you able to confirm the third train planned for West Harbour GO in Hamilton next spring?

I can't confirm anything because this is only a planning document.

Although it does seem like they are trying their best to keep up with it. I got confirmation yesterday of an additional Stouffville train starting up in January, which the document did make note of.

Infact, let's take this all the way. When is 7-day all day service coming to West Harbour, 2020?

Sorry, my crystal ball doesn't predict that far out.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Back