News   Dec 06, 2019
 104     0 
News   Dec 06, 2019
 515     4 
News   Dec 06, 2019
 350     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

Leo_Chan

Member Bio
Reaction score
Don't these fare inspectors have the ability to know when and where the card was tapped?
Its not a PRESTO card its a ticket.
Here are the term and conditions from link:
Using GO Transit e-tickets
Printed copies of e-tickets will not be accepted as a valid fare.
To use your e-ticket or pass, you will need to be able to access the confirmation e-mail using your mobile device and an internet connection (data or a Wi-Fi). You must activate your e-ticket before you board by clicking on the ticket(s) or pass links in your confirmation email from your mobile device. Allow five minutes for your ticket to activate. Once activated, single-ride tickets are valid for four hours, and passes are valid during service hours on the day of activation. Each e-ticket has unique ticket number and you must display this identifier on your mobile device to a GO Transit fare inspector on request.

mb4wong

Member Bio
Reaction score
In my experience it depends on the CSA.
For the Stouffville to Kitchener through service, almost everytime it is announced that the train becomes a Kitchener line train at Union. I don't know if many people take advantage of the through service but the stopping time at union was pretty short (or at least average for a train continuing through).

robmausser

Member Bio
Reaction score
For the Stouffville to Kitchener through service, almost everytime it is announced that the train becomes a Kitchener line train at Union. I don't know if many people take advantage of the through service but the stopping time at union was pretty short (or at least average for a train continuing through).
I could see someone maybe getting off at Bloor GO if they work in the west end, etc.

WillTo

Member Bio
Reaction score
seems like a great idea, but bad for fare evasion. Say you don't pay your fare and wait for the fare inspectors to show up. Once you see them, you can quickly pay on your phone.
They can probably verify WHEN the ticket was validated and if it is reasonable or not.

I can see this being useful for stations that only have one machine and it is down, or there is a line.
One time I was on a train passing South Barrie and there was a line for the ticket machine. People tried to hold the train for their friends but I saw one family that had to return to their vehicle because they didn't get a ticket in time.

Woodbridge_Heights

Member Bio
Reaction score
seems like a great idea, but bad for fare evasion. Say you don't pay your fare and wait for the fare inspectors to show up. Once you see them, you can quickly pay on your phone.
Revenue is revenue. The alternative is that the fare inspector misses you and no revenue earned

Leo_Chan

Member Bio
Reaction score
I believe the point was this approach will encourage fare evasion, which may have an adverse impact on revenue.
The only way to discourage fare evasion is to have inspectors on all trains, which is true with the previous payment methods too. There's no increase in encouragement since you need to activate the ticket before you board anyways.

rbt

Member Bio
Reaction score
Berlin accepts metro fare payment via numerous mechanisms including phone; in fact they even allow 3rd party apps to sell tickets via an API.

They do, however, have a 2 or 3 minute delay before a mobile ticket becomes active. If you purchase prior to the station entrance while walking down the sidewalk the ticket will be active by the time you get on a train, but if you buy on a train after a fare inspector boards you'll not have much luck.

It seemed like a reasonable compromise; though Germans seem less likely to try to cheat the system than Canadians.

Last edited:

Krypto98

Member Bio
Reaction score
I've used it a few times , but most times I go downstairs to York concourse, grab a snack and go back up. I've also used the kitchener line to oakville at around 8:50/9am. I'm not sure if they are keeping it anymore.

Fritter

Member Bio
Reaction score
Allow five minutes for your ticket to activate.

Better allow 5 minutes between seeing the officers and them checking your e-ticket

Tuscani01

Member Bio
Reaction score