News   Aug 09, 2024
 184     0 
News   Aug 09, 2024
 650     1 
News   Aug 09, 2024
 468     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

If Milton were 2-way, all-day, that Kipling station might be of use to you?

Kipling is roughly in the middle of Mimico to Long Branch and just over 2km from each, in theory, not an unreasonable spot, though a quick look-see suggests that sitting at the west end of the Willowbrook/Mimico yard may make its creation a bit messy.

yeah willowbrook certainly makes it complicated - iirc there's also some spurs for businesses that could be an issue too

but nah i'm south of kipling, it's more been a dream than anything because it's annoying getting to mimico and long branch stations.

theoretically for going downtown, the new park lawn station would be the preferred method for people in lakeshore village going on foot and to me that's just wild :p

yeah willowbrook certainly makes it complicated - iirc there's also some spurs for businesses that could be an issue too

but nah i'm south of kipling, it's more been a dream than anything because it's annoying getting to mimico and long branch stations.

theoretically for going downtown, the new park lawn station would be the preferred method for people in lakeshore village going on foot and to me that's just wild :p
I hear where you're coming from, growing up in South Etobicoke it's like you have to travel backwards first if your destination is downtown.

Even once Park Lawn GO comes online, if you live west of Islington it would be quicker to take the bus up to Kipling or Islington, compared to taking the streetcar to Park Lawn and taking the GO the rest of the way. The streetcar is just too damn slow.

I'm simply frustrated about how you actively ignore all of the evidence and arguments that contradict your claims, and immediately proceed just repeat them unchanged. If you deny the existance of GO's expansion plans why didn't you say so? How am I supposed to know why you keep repeating your claims after they have been disproven? This is a discussion forum, so we're trying to have a discussion. If you ignore everything that contradicts your argument and proceed to repeat the argument unchanged, that's not a discussion. That's just shouting into the void.

I didn't think that the plans for all-day express service on LSW needed to be cited because it's been consistently stated in every RER or GO Expansion plan ever. Surely anyone making claims about GO Expansion on a publicly-visible transportation discussion forum has done enough research on it to know at least vaguely what it entails.

Here is the current business case, which took me literally ten seconds to find - far less time than took you to write all those posts.
https://assets.metrolinx.com/image/upload/v1667497052/Images/Metrolinx/GO_Expansion_FBC.pdf
After re-acquainting myself with the FBC, I was surprised to see that it specifically referenced "4-car UPxpress and GO trains" (current UPX are 3 cars, sometimes 2). Makes me think we'll get new matching rolling stock for UPX (albeit different livery I would think). It also shows the hourly trains coming from Kitchener stopping at Weston (and bypassing Malton, Etobicoke North, Mount Dennis and Bloor). Presumably that's so there's less back-tracking if they want to go the airport, but if its what they do, it would suggest we might not lose the UPX stop in Weston in the future after all. In all, Weston would then have 11 trains per hour (4 UPX, 6 Bramalea, 1 Kitchener) which is pretty crazy frequency compared to today.

Back