News   Apr 26, 2024
 493     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 370     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 572     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

@cbrown2009 @mb4wong there was also this map posted by @ShonTron:

In the May 15, 2019 version of the rendering posted by a Brampton City Councillor they didn't show the third track.

Interesting to see in @Krypto98's reply above that the August 2, 2019 video by the City does show it.

The third track recently came up in the Metrolinx Town Hall through this question:

Time marked video response to it here:

@cbrown2009 @mb4wong there was also this map posted by @ShonTron:

In the May 15, 2019 version of the rendering posted by a Brampton City Councillor they didn't show the third track.

Interesting to see in @Krypto98's reply above that the August 2, 2019 video by the City does show it.

The third track recently came up in the Metrolinx Town Hall through this question:

View attachment 205440

Time marked video response to it here:

I find it funny that they didn't really answer the question but instead talk about how much they added

Having missed my Barrie-line train by a hair this morning, I zipped down to Gormley to catch the 61F express to Union.

I was surprised that it was operated by double-decker 8477.

Are the 6x-series routes (Richmond Hil, Barrie) getting them with any regularity these days? Have never seen one in Newmarket/Aurora.

Does anyone know the status of conversion across the fleet? The CPTDB wiki shows 200+ regular coaches, so I'm guessing we're still aways away.

Having missed my Barrie-line train by a hair this morning, I zipped down to Gormley to catch the 61F express to Union.

I was surprised that it was operated by double-decker 8477.

Are the 6x-series routes (Richmond Hil, Barrie) getting them with any regularity these days? Have never seen one in Newmarket/Aurora.

Does anyone know the status of conversion across the fleet? The CPTDB wiki shows 200+ regular coaches, so I'm guessing we're still aways away.
Do those route even have substantial ridership?

Also, make sure you take the Richmond Hill Line when you’re heading home. Don’t want to be stranded. ?

There are almost 200 of the current design "SuperLo" model now in the fleet. Next year is the last of the original contract, which will see the last of the 253 buses put into service.

Beyond that though? There have been rumours of taking up at least one of the options to get more of them and expand the fleet, but nothing has been set in stone just yet. There is also going to be delivered late this year a fully-electric bus as a technology demonstrator and testbed.

We won't see the end of the single-deck bus though, at least not in the foreseeable future. There is an RFP out for a "low floor", single level highway coach to replace many of the remaining MCIs.

Dan

We won't see the end of the single-deck bus though, at least not in the foreseeable future.
I assume there are some routes due to low bridges/hydro wires or other obstacles that will just not allow double Decker buses no matter how many are available in the fleet.

I assume there are some routes due to low bridges/hydro wires or other obstacles that will just not allow double Decker buses no matter how many are available in the fleet.

The Gardiner being a big one. Years ago the TRHA brought 6213 from Exhibition Place to Roundhouse Park but they had to plan out the route because of the Gardiner. @smallspy I believe you would know about this.

Anyway, there are more than a few bridges in the GTA that would preclude them.

The Gardiner being a big one. Years ago the TRHA brought 6213 from Exhibition Place to Roundhouse Park but they had to plan out the route because of the Gardiner. @smallspy I believe you would know about this.

Anyway, there are more than a few bridges in the GTA that would preclude them.
But the Super Lo DD buses can get into Union Station. The 16 Hamilton Express runs majority if not all Super Lo’s

The 34 & 40 Airport routes run through Yorkdale to the airport as well. I thought York Mills was the only major terminal left inaccessible to even the Super Lo buses

Too much GO train service too soon on Stouffville line
OPINION Sep 08, 2019 by Sean Pearce Markham Economist & Sun

The GO train service on the Stouffville line has been, and continues to be, a wonderful asset for early morning and late day commuters travelling to and from work each day.
That’s where “wonderful” ends.

The addition of all-day service with dozens of trains running midday demonstrates a lack of reasoned planning and forethought on the part of Metrolinx. The majority of these midday trains are near empty. In spite of ridership data, that clearly doesn’t warrant so many trains so soon, Metrolinx plans on pushing ahead with a 400 per cent increase of trains on the Stouffville line.

This “build it and they will come” philosophy ignores the obvious, that many GO station stops are huge parking lots, or stops where commuters are obliged to find additional transport once they exit the train.

My neighbours laughingly refer to these dozens of midday trains as “ghost trains.” There really is little humour in this. It is a sad lack of insight on the part of Metrolinx and city planners to believe that current growth rates in York Region require trains every 15 minutes. Let’s make reasonable projections about ridership based on authentic data before investing any more taxpayer dollars on “too much, too soon” ventures.

Dave Pollard
Markham

The GO train service on the Stouffville line has been, and continues to be, a wonderful asset for early morning and late day commuters travelling to and from work each day.

The addition of all-day service with dozens of trains running midday demonstrates a lack of reasoned planning and forethought on the part of Metrolinx. The majority of these midday trains are near empty. In spite of ridership data, that clearly doesn’t warrant so many trains so soon, Metrolinx plans on pushing ahead with a 400 per cent increase of trains on the Stouffville line.

This “build it and they will come” philosophy ignores the obvious, that many GO station stops are huge parking lots, or stops where commuters are obliged to find additional transport once they exit the train.

My neighbours laughingly refer to these dozens of midday trains as “ghost trains.” There really is little humour in this. It is a sad lack of insight on the part of Metrolinx and city planners to believe that current growth rates in York Region require trains every 15 minutes. Let’s make reasonable projections about ridership based on authentic data before investing any more taxpayer dollars on “too much, too soon” ventures.

Dave Pollard
Markham
Just a sour NIMBY.
From this piece in 2015, it's evident he lives near the tracks.

Dave Pollard
Markham

To be fair, I have been taking the last Stouffville train from Union every night to avoid subway closures the past week and it is VERY empty. The trains are shorter, have less people and while I am grateful for the service it is likely not cost effective.

I only go from Union to Kennedy but even still, the trains have MAYBE 1 or 2 people other than myself on each car.

Back