News   Jun 14, 2024
 2.2K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.6K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 812     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

Noticed that Mississauga Transit is introducing the 107 Malton Express bus during rush hour from MCC to Westwood Mall, via Viscount Station on the Pearson Airport LINK train. I guess this means that MT is taking over the GO airport express bus?

In some ways, yes. But personally, no. I prefer not transfering, and I prefer the seats on the bus by a large margin. I'm not incredibly annoyed with the change, but the 6:35 is luxurious, by public transit standards. Also, the 6:35 gets you to Georgetown by 7:41 or earlier--for a time, the 6:35 had a driver who really booted it on the highway. The extended 6:45 train/bus combo will get me to Georgetown by 7:55.

I'm just having a little moan, really; don't mind me.

Sorry, I thought your end destination was Mt. Pleasant....so yes you still have that annoying transfer from train to bus...and I know how annoying that is....I hate it! You have a right to moan until this train goes to Georgetown too!

Review of route elimination

There is a lot of elimination (leaving out school related)...

Milton:
- Weekday southbound bus trips departing from Milton to Oakville will no longer be operating: 5:45 a.m., 8:40 p.m. and 10:40 p.m.
- Weekday northbound bus trips departing Oakville to Milton will no longer be operating: 6:54 a.m., 9:29 p.m. and 11:29 p.m.
- Weekday service between Hamilton and Meadowvale Business Park will no longer be operating.

Georgetown:
- The 6:30 p.m. bus from Union to Mount Pleasant, and the 6:35 p.m. bus from Union to Georgetown.
- The 10:50 a.m. weekday eastbound bus departing from Brampton to Union.
- Eastbound bus trips departing Brampton at 3:00 p.m., 4:00 p.m, and 5:00 p.m. to York Mills GO Terminal.
- Eastbound trains departing Bramalea at 10:25 a.m., 12:15 p.m. and 1:45 p.m. are discontinued, along with the buses that the connected to these trains.
- Weekday westbound trains departing from Union to Bramalea at 9:40 a.m., 11:30 a.m., and 1:00 p.m. are discontinued
- Weekday buses departing from Bramalea to Guelph at 10:22 a.m., 12:12 p.m. and 1:42 p.m.

Airport Express
- Daily bus service between Square One GO Terminal and Lester B. Pearson International Airport will no longer be operating.

407 West
- The following weekday eastbound bus trips departing from the University of Guelph will no longer be operating: 8:05 a.m., 9:40 a.m., 11:40 a.m., 1:40 p.m., 4:10 p.m. and 10:10 p.m.
- The following weekday westbound bus trips departing from Cooksville will no longer be operating: 6:35 a.m., 10:05 a.m., 12:05 p.m., 2:05 p.m., 2:35 p.m., and 11:40 p.m.
- Sunday and holiday bus trips will be suspended for the summer starting April 24, 2010.

North Richmond Hill
- The southbound bus trips departing Old Cummer, serving Oriole, to Union at 5:53 a.m., 9:05 a.m., and 10:35 a.m.
- Northbound bus trips departing from Union at 12:50 p.m., 2:10 p.m., 3:20 p.m., 8:50 p.m., and 9:50 p.m. to Oriole and Old Cummer.
- The weekday southbound bus trips departing from Bradford at 5:07 a.m. and 5:32 a.m. to Newmarket GO Terminal and the northbound bus trip departing from Newmarket at 12:15 a.m. to Bradford.
- The weekday southbound bus trip departing from Barrie Bus Terminal at 6:20 a.m., serving Essa Road, Hwy. 400, Innisfil Beach Road and Hwy. 400 carpool lots to Maple and the northbound bus trip departing Rutherford at 4:58 p.m.
- Weekday southbound bus trips departing from King City at 12:45 p.m. and 1:45 p.m., serving Maple and Rutherford, to Union.
- The weekday northbound bus trips from Union to King City, at 10:20 a.m., 11:20 a.m. and 11:20 p.m.
- Newmarket B GO Bus no longer in operation Effective Monday, April 5, 2010
- 62-Newmarket B GO Bus service between Newmarket and York Mills will no longer operate.
- 64-Newmarket – York University GO Bus service will no longer operate.

Lakeshore East
- The 7:00 a.m. and 7:40 a.m. buses departing from Oshawa, serving Whitby and Ajax to Scarborough Town Centre will no longer be in operation.
- All eastbound and westbound route 93 bus trips are suspended for the summer, effective May 1, 2010.
- Weekday eastbound bus trip departing Scarborough Town Centre at 6:10 p.m., serving Ajax and Whitby to Oshawa will no longer be operating.
- Weekday westbound bus trips departing Oshawa at 7:00 a.m., and 7:40 a.m., serving Whitby and Ajax to Scarborough Town Centre will no longer be operating.

If Mike Sullivan is to be believed, 42 services per day are possible on the current tracks. That's 30 minute headways.

Leaving aside the fact that Mike Sullivan very much has a dog in this fight, for argument's sake let's (a) magically move back the clock for the WTD and Dufferin Jog works, and return the tracks to the way they were 2 years ago, and (b) magically move forward the clock for the Georgetown North works to the end of this spring such that there's full multitracking and double platforms from Malton to Mt. Pleasant.

That still leaves ~15 km of single track from roughly St. Clair to Highway 27, right smack in the middle of the run. Unless he proposes the trains learn to jump over top of one another, there's no way you could schedule bidirectional service at 30 minute frequencies and not have trains meet head-on along that section of track.

42 services per day is an altogether different quantity if you just want 21 inbound trips in the morning and 21 outbound trips in the evening. The tracks could handle that fine, assuming there was a 21-train layover yard in Georgetown. ;)

Even DMUs would do. A single American Railcar DMU will carry those 90 people plus 100 more. Sending a 3000 capacity train to serve 90 people is just a set-up to call the service a waste.
So you're proposing GO purchase DMUs that would be rolled out for mid-day service and then sent back to the shops at rush hour?

Last edited:
42 services per day is an altogether different quantity if you just want 21 inbound trips in the morning and 21 outbound trips in the evening. The tracks could handle that fine, assuming there was a 21-train layover yard in Georgetown. ;)

... and that GO is willing to pay for that many trainsets, and use each of them twice a day only.

At high frequencies, bidirectional service requires much fewer trainsets than morning-in / evening-out service.

So you're proposing GO purchase DMUs that would be rolled out for mid-day service and then sent back to the shops at rush hour?

This might be a bad idea at the end, but not outright stupid. Some cost analysis is needed.

By running single DMUs outside rush hours, one can save on fuel and maintenance costs, and lengthen the lifespan of the standard, multiple-unit GO trains.

Last edited:
Leaving aside the fact that Mike Sullivan very much has a dog in this fight, for argument's sake let's (a) magically move back the clock for the WTD and Dufferin Jog works, and return the tracks to the way they were 2 years ago, and (b) magically move forward the clock for the Georgetown North works to the end of this spring such that there's full multitracking and double platforms from Malton to Mt. Pleasant.

That still leaves ~15 km of single track from roughly St. Clair to Highway 27, right smack in the middle of the run. Unless he proposes the trains learn to jump over top of one another, there's no way you could schedule bidirectional service at 30 minute frequencies and not have trains meet head-on along that section of track.

So then Sullivan is not to be believed, then. Very well. But the thought of a layover yard is only absurd when we assume trains are 10 cars + locomotive.

Or used for counter-peak operations during rush hour, or even stored in a small piece of layover track somewhere. I don't see how exactly that is a worse idea than buying so many locomotives, as they are, for new services?

In my opinion, it's a bad investment to buy anything that can't be used during the peak hours. The best use of the money is to convert an entire line to DMU / EMU and run 100% of them during the peak hours and <100% of them offpeak.

In my opinion, shunting trains midday is a waste of time. 10 car trains in the off peak isn't hurting anyone.

Last edited:
You could always buy full DMU (EMU might be wishing right now,) trainsets to serve a line entirely off-peak, and then during rush hour just add in a bilevel car every 3rd car or whatever. You'd still pretty much get the same benefits as a full DMU train, but you'll have the added capacity of the bilevels, which will free up room for more trains using DMU-Bilevel sets.

You could always buy full DMU (EMU might be wishing right now,) trainsets to serve a line entirely off-peak, and then during rush hour just add in a bilevel car every 3rd car or whatever. You'd still pretty much get the same benefits as a full DMU train, but you'll have the added capacity of the bilevels, which will free up room for more trains using DMU-Bilevel sets.

This would mean shunting trains, which, in my opinion, is a waste of time.

Pretty minor news, but GO is looking to add 400 more parking spaces to Mount Joy (for a total of about 1,200). Hopefully between this and the parking garage that is planned to go up at Centennial later this year, we might see some more Stouffville service in the Fall.

http://www.markham.ca/markham/ccbs/indexfile/Agendas/2010/Development%20Services/pl100323/go%20parking%20metrolinx.PDF

There's a spare layover slot for a sixth train at Lincolnville, so, unlike the Georgetown situation, service could be added without dead-head moves. Barrie is also in line to move from four runs to five as soon as it maxes out its current capacity, which ought to be soon, especially in light of that monstrous new parkade about to open in Aurora. In that situation there's also spare layover capacity on the north end of the line, so adding runs is really just a matter of having enough rolling stock to go around.

On that note, does anybody know how GO pulled off service along the Stouffville line before the layover yard was built at the Lincolnville site? In light of the single track, would they have had to move all their morning trains out to Stouffville in the pre-dawn hours and then left them lined up on the track idling?

There's a spare layover slot for a sixth train at Lincolnville, so, unlike the Georgetown situation, service could be added without dead-head moves.

I remember going to a Brampton City Council meeting a few years ago where the location of a layover yard near Mt. Pleasant was the discussion subject....if I recall correctly, the discussion was not so much about if it was built but which of 3 (think it was 3) options made the best sense.

I guess that was never built? Has it been scrapped? Delayed? Anyone know the status? If it is still on the cards, it would seem that it should have been built earlier in the whole line revamp. Earlier in the discussion , someone pointed out how funny/strange it was that the Georgetown line now had 4 trains inward bound and 6 outward....I guess if they could have parked a couple (more?) trains at Mt. Pleasant that would not have to be the case.

The discussion above about not running Georgetown GO to accommodate WTD work - will that affect VIA Kitchener?

The discussion above about not running Georgetown GO to accommodate WTD work - will that affect VIA Kitchener?

They will probably be on diversion between CN Parkdale and CN Halwest, using the Newmarket Sub (Barrie Line) and the Halton Sub (CN's Toronto bypass). No stops will be missed, and another poster who was on a previously diverted train said there was no effect on the schedule.

I guess that was never built? Has it been scrapped? Delayed? Anyone know the status? If it is still on the cards, it would seem that it should have been built earlier in the whole line revamp. Earlier in the discussion , someone pointed out how funny/strange it was that the Georgetown line now had 4 trains inward bound and 6 outward....I guess if they could have parked a couple (more?) trains at Mt. Pleasant that would not have to be the case.

As everything, that seemed to be delayed.
I thought the new yard was going into be at Winston Churchill. There seems to be some work there.

It's frustrating, because one could look at the schedule change, and the 4 trains out, 6 trains in, as simple incompetence.

Also note the widening of the Credit River bridge just to the west.

Back