News   Jun 25, 2024
 984     1 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 865     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.5K     3 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

So, a friend of mine wrote to Rob Prichard a few weeks back and recently shared the letter and response w/me.

Basically, he wrote asking why there was no 30-min service on Lakeshore yet, as well as the other long proposed service improvements on other routes.

He got a brief answer from Prichard of the 'thanks for your input' variety; but also got a follow-up letter/email from Gary McNeil, GO's GM.

GM said basically that in regards to more rush hour trains, they lack enough locomotives right now. That new ones are arriving all the time, but through then end of 2010 are being used as replacements rather than fleet add-ons. He suggested net new locos were due in early 2011, and rush hour service add-ons would follow.

As to off-peak service, he basically said this loses money (ie. requires subsidy) and the province has been requested to provide this in fiscal 2010-2011 and if that money is forthcoming, the service will be to.

So for those waiting, time to bug the higher-ups, see Kathleen Wynn in transport, and the Premier if you want more GO service.

It took years, but Georgetown Corridor is getting some respect with additional buses. The baloney about how the every-three-hour Union Station service was all that was needed (with the crappy Yorkdale/York Mills milk runs) was just that; GO has been adding more runs to this service ever since they've introduced proper bus schedules to downtown Toronto. With Brampton Transit taking over many of the non-Union Station GO bus markets (Humber College, York University, Pearson Airport) for a lower fare and often a better schedule, I can see GO pulling a York Region and eventually cutting service at least on the 32 Highway 27 route in favour of more Union buses.

Milton, Stouffville and Bradford (Newmarket) get a few more Union buses as well with the changes, but yeah, there's nothing exciting here.

Bramptonites would be really happy to see GO Transit provide service from Bramalea City Centre to Union Station.

Not all Bramptonites! Perhaps those that live near the City Centre but what good would that do for the vast majority who don't?

I think most Bramptonites would be much better served (for their connections to Toronto) by full GO train service and a local transit system that focused on the 3 train stations as hubs/terminals.

Not all Bramptonites! Perhaps those that live near the City Centre but what good would that do for the vast majority who don't?

I think most Bramptonites would be much better served (for their connections to Toronto) by full GO train service and a local transit system that focused on the 3 train stations as hubs/terminals.

Which will not occur anytime soon. GO can implement service to BCC - Union service quickly.

GO doesn't currently have inbound service between Bramalea City Centre and Union Station (outbound service only), but they are moving the transfer point for the Yorkdale / Yorkdale buses to the GO Station. It's not a one-seat ride, but it's a more convenient transfer than having to walk to the corner of Bramalea & Steeles. Since BCC and Bramalea GO is in the same fare zone, you'll save money over having to use Brampton Transit for the last leg to BCC.

Question: I was pondering using GO one day to get to Oakville; but my destination is about half-way between Oakville and Bronte stations. Bus might work ... but how easy is it to get a Taxi at Oakville GO station?

Question: I was pondering using GO one day to get to Oakville; but my destination is about half-way between Oakville and Bronte stations. Bus might work ... but how easy is it to get a Taxi at Oakville GO station?

Oakville's a pretty busy GO station. A taxi there shouldn't be a problem. It's not overly far from downtown Oaville either IIRC.

Many Oakville buses meet all off-peak trains in both directions. For example, if your destination was downtown or along the Rebecca/Lakeshore corridor the #14 does the trick. There's a similar bus along Speers as well, not sure about Upper Middle. You can use the GO discount.

Many Oakville buses meet all off-peak trains in both directions. For example, if your destination was downtown or along the Rebecca/Lakeshore corridor the #14 does the trick. There's a similar bus along Speers as well, not sure about Upper Middle. You can use the GO discount.
Thanks ... yes, bus might work ... but if train late, need back-up.

Though I'll probably end up driving ... not bad to get there, but it looks like it will take me about 1:50 to get back to the office compared to about 40 minutes driving. Can't wait until the office moves to near Union ...

Thanks ... yes, bus might work ... but if train late, need back-up.

Though I'll probably end up driving ... not bad to get there, but it looks like it will take me about 1:50 to get back to the office compared to about 40 minutes driving. Can't wait until the office moves to near Union ...

I vote for this exchange to be the "2010 Urban Toronto why Transit Sucks in the GTA award" winner

I'm afraid that's the nature of mid-day secondary-hub to secondary-hub movement ...

True, however I think you'll agree that the issue of connections between secondary hubs has been a hot (maybe warm) topic here abouts. I forget the thread but there was discussion regarding how the GTA's secondary hubs are not well connected in comparison to their connections to the primary hub (DT Toronto), and I think your situation illustrated this fact quite clarly.

Now for the off topic comment. If we do plan for multiple hubs within a greater district rather than one central hub, than we must be prepared to provide connections between each hub (within reason of course).

Back