News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 940     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.6K     3 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

Here's a slide I'd like to have seen - Effort Made To Buy Back and Reuse LIUNA Station (i.e. the former CN passenger station)

Instead it's a glass box and a plaza. That plus the withdrawal of VIA Rail (and refusal to stop the Amtrak Maple Leaf at the new station) make it a "hip" to me rather than a full throated hiphiphooray.

Here's a slide I'd like to have seen - Effort Made To Buy Back and Reuse LIUNA Station (i.e. the former CN passenger station)

Instead it's a glass box and a plaza. That plus the withdrawal of VIA Rail (and refusal to stop the Amtrak Maple Leaf at the new station) make it a "hip" to me rather than a full throated hiphiphooray.
True but its a commuter station at the end of the day. I wish it was closer to Union but its just Oakville +. Beggars can't be choosers.

James North GO

The PanAm 'reason' is b/c our PanAm Stadium was supposed to be literally 100m away at Barton & Tiffany, but the TiCats owner Bob Young ('The Caretaker') hijacked that process and we ended up with a sub-par stadium in the poorest of locations (same site as Ivor Wynn). But I digress..

Re: LIUNA Station, it's a cash-cow that just went under extensive reno's to expand it's banquet/convention facilities. The Province would have to expropriate as LIUNA would never sell that asset.

Here are some screenshots I took from the Metrolinx report (keep in mind this station will connect with Hamilton's future A-Line LRT)

BEFF7BA0-F237-4C3D-A14C-47FF52531BD4-11148-0000031C106FED84_zpsc6f056ec.jpg

Source: http://www.documentcloud.org/docume...t-north-stakeholder-meeting.html#document/p23

9C950961-1F1A-47A8-8437-0EDC4BFEF1AC-11148-0000031C0846085E_zpse72b76d2.jpg

Source: http://www.documentcloud.org/docume...t-north-stakeholder-meeting.html#document/p23

This looks like a double tracked stub-end station much like the current end of GO trackage at Oshawa, and I don't see a through platform in the drawings. I'm wondering if that's an oversight, a "not part of the scope of this project" thing, or what. I wonder if the the two station tracks will be stubbed end and a third track on the north towards the mainline given access to a platform for through trains towards Stoney Creek and Niagara.

I also heard somewhere that CP's regular train movements through the Hunter Street tunnel are now quite minimal - only 2 per day most of the time or something like that. I do understand there's a lot more room to work with on the CN side and it would cut the train travel time, but I love the old TH&B station and would have much preferred something to be worked out over there.

Last edited:
This looks like a double tracked stub-end station much like the current end of GO trackage at Oshawa, and I don't see a through platform in the drawings. I'm wondering if that's an oversight, a "not part of the scope of this project" thing, or what. I wonder if the the two station tracks will be stubbed end and a third track on the north towards the mainline given access to a platform for through trains towards Stoney Creek and Niagara.

I also heard somewhere that CP's regular train movements through the Hunter Street tunnel are now quite minimal - only 2 per day most of the time or something like that. I do understand there's a lot more room to work with on the CN side and it would cut the train travel time, but I love the old TH&B station and would have much preferred something to be worked out over there.
Yes. It's a shame. But this will save 10 minutes going across the lake ON the CN sub Imo

ok. that's probably for the storage facility.
That would be part of it, but the grade-separation is on the mainline I think The maintenance centre does seem to be the focus, and the funding isn't there yet for new GO stations in Oshawa. Presumably we have to see how the current Metrolinx funding stuff resolves itself, and who will be governing us after the budget.

That would be part of it, but the grade-separation is on the mainline I think The maintenance centre does seem to be the focus, and the funding isn't there yet for new GO stations in Oshawa. Presumably we have to see how the current Metrolinx funding stuff resolves itself, and who will be governing us after the budget.
Ok. I heard they pulled out of the new Oshawa go site because it was too expensive, http://www.durhamregion.com/article/1243892--metrolinx-derails-plans-for-oshawa-go-station

Ok. I heard they pulled out of the new Oshawa go site because it was too expensive, http://www.durhamregion.com/article/1243892--metrolinx-derails-plans-for-oshawa-go-station
That's only one of the station locations. I thought at the time they were looking at another property nearby instead. Didn't we discuss that here back somewhere when that article came out 18 months ago?

Looks like they are still negotiating ... a recent article in http://www.oshawaexpress.ca/viewposting.php?view=4590 says negotiations resumed a week after the November 2011 pull out.

Back