News   Jun 14, 2024
 2.2K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.6K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 817     0 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

Wow, that's quite interesting. Did your source mention which element of the structure was unsound? I wonder if they'll fabricate a similar structure to replace it, or simply forego the bridge altogether (which would be foolish).

There is no plans to replace the bridge since there will be traffic lights at the crosswalk.

Only told the structure was unsound with no info where.

Was told today, only #20 will be using the new bus terminal. Based on what happen over time, various phases may take place for 9 and 38. They may only due a trip or 2 a peak time only to the new terminal. Time will tell.

There is no plans to replace the bridge since there will be traffic lights at the crosswalk.

Only told the structure was unsound with no info where.

The bridge is not technically "unsound" but rather was designed in a manner that makes future repairs difficult and costly. As of a year ago, it was showing signs of deterioration but was far from unsound. The decision was made to scrap the bridge and utilize traffic lights and a crosswalk instead.

The bridge is not technically "unsound" but rather was designed in a manner that makes future repairs difficult and costly. As of a year ago, it was showing signs of deterioration but was far from unsound. The decision was made to scrap the bridge and utilize traffic lights and a crosswalk instead.

Ahh, thanks for the clarification. I'm quite curious to know when the bridge was put into service. It's a shame that whoever green-lit construction, didn't have the foresight to think about something like that. I don't blame the engineer( because I'm biased in favour of engineers :)), but I imagine a scenario where cost went hand in hand with repairability and the decision was made based on the budget the city had to work with.

I'm guessing the people that made that decision don't use a wheelchair.

IMG_7385.jpg

IMG_7386.jpg

IMG_7387.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_7385.jpg
    IMG_7385.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 643
  • IMG_7386.jpg
    IMG_7386.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 724
  • IMG_7387.jpg
    IMG_7387.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 623
Guelph Central Station Platforms will be repaved late June, Early July. Kiss.n.Ride won't open till late fall, even possibility next spring. Shelter is almost up and Elevator shaft is there but no Elevator. The design of the station is not like any other GO Stations. The bike rack does not have a GO Bike on top as it all follows the Guelph design (which I dislike)

This is really old news, but I flipped through the thread and I don't think it's been posted.

GO Transit is undertaking a Class
Environmental Assessment (EA) of the
Barrie railway corridor to build a passing
track from Steeles Avenue, in the City of
Toronto, to slightly south of Rutherford GO
Station in the City of Vaughan. The passing
track will provide increased flexibility and
reliability in scheduling along the Barrie
railway corridor and improve service for GO
Transit.
http://www.gotransit.com/public/en/improve/PN-4331-GO_V3.pdf

So to sum up, here is the current status of double tracking in the Barrie Corridor:

Sidings exist at York University GO station (length: 1.3km), and between Maple Station and King City Station (3.4km)

Construction is underway to add double tracks in the Georgetown South Corridor (~4km) and probably at Downsview Park Station (?? km)

This proposal is to extend the existing York U siding north by 5.8km.

This is really old news, but I flipped through the thread and I don't think it's been posted.

http://www.gotransit.com/public/en/improve/PN-4331-GO_V3.pdf

So to sum up, here is the current status of double tracking in the Barrie Corridor:

Sidings exist at York University GO station (length: 1.3km), and between Maple Station and King City Station (3.4km)

Construction is underway to add double tracks in the Georgetown South Corridor (~4km) and probably at Downsview Park Station (?? km)

This proposal is to extend the existing York U siding north by 5.8km.

Add to this, where does the double track fit in for the new Sheppard Station?? The corridor can handle double track with no issues. The section north of Finch has to deal with the tank farm siding as well the York BRT crossing.

Been a few years since I last saw the area, the industries sidings will be remove since there hasn't been service to then in decades to the point there was some cars abandon on them around the York U station.

The new bridge was built for double tracks a few years ago. Steeles, Finch, Sheppard and Wilson bridges can handle 2/3 tracks now.

The other missing EA (Was out) was the grade separation of CP track as well building a station at St Clair.

Add to this, where does the double track fit in for the new Sheppard Station?? The corridor can handle double track with no issues. The section north of Finch has to deal with the tank farm siding as well the York BRT crossing.

Been a few years since I last saw the area, the industries sidings will be remove since there hasn't been service to then in decades to the point there was some cars abandon on them around the York U station.

The new bridge was built for double tracks a few years ago. Steeles, Finch, Sheppard and Wilson bridges can handle 2/3 tracks now.

I've already sent an email to Metrolinx enquiring about the extent of the second track being built as a part of the Downsview Park (formerly Sheppard West) station construction, among other things.

Here is the content of my message regarding the passing track project:

I am wondering how this project fits in with other projects along the Barrie corridor. I understand that as a part of the Georgetown South project, two tracks will be built for the Barrie Line where the it uses the Weston Subdivision, and I know that Downsview Park Station is planned to eventually have at least two tracks as well.

1. Will two tracks be built at Downview Park station as a part of the current construction? If so, how far will the second track extend?

2. Do any other projects currently exist which would link up these sections of double track in order to achieve more extensive double tracking, as envisioned in The Big Move?

3. What is the projected use for the passing siding until the line is extensively double-tracked? A siding already exists between Maple and King City stations, allowing two trainsets to be run on the line in different directions (as is done on weekends during summer months). But the new siding seems too close to the existing siding to allow more than two trainsets to run on the line. Are additional passing tracks under construction further north to allow more than two trainsets to use the line while it is operating in both directions?

The other missing EA (Was out) was the grade separation of CP track as well building a station at St Clair.
I haven't heard anything recently about the Davenport Diamond grade separation, which is surprising given all these other upgrades in the corridor.

I have no evidence to back this up, but I get the impression that the Caledonia Eglinton LRT/GO station has more or less replaced the proposed station at St. Clair.

Last edited:
I've already sent an email to Metrolinx enquiring about the extent of the second track being built as a part of the Downsview Park (formerly Sheppard West) station construction, among other things.

Here is the content of my message regarding the passing track project:

I haven't heard anything recently about the Davenport Diamond grade separation, which is surprising given all these other upgrades in the corridor.

I have no evidence to back this up, but I get the impression that the Caledonia Eglinton LRT/GO station has more or less replaced the proposed station at St. Clair.

With all the work taking place at the diamond, CP would opposed having 2 disruption on their mainline taking place at the same time. There is a lot off issues as to how to built bypass tracks for both line during construction. Most likely will take place after 2016. It would be a mistake not putting a station at St Clair.

I know the plan for the Downsview station calls for 2 tracks and supposed to be in place when the station opens in 2016.

It's starting to make way more sense to rename this station "Liberty"
I disagree. It's so far from Liberty that changing from a streetcar at Exhibition to the Ossington bus at Liberty/Atlantic isn't a valid transfer!

The name Exhibition works fine.

I believe that some of the renderings for the new Downsview station actually showed three tracks, but that may have only been conceptual.

Back