News   Jun 28, 2024
 2.3K     2 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.5K     1 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 574     1 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

Long List update

The list would be longer, but had issues with a rental car and lost haft a day of shooting.

Clarkson:
This was one of the fist station able to use free Wi Fi on April 5 when I was there. Only following what is taking place in Europe these days.

Saw the site on Friday April 05 and have almost a 1/4 of it up as of Thursday April 11. Understand there are various issues on this site as well Erindale that daily site visits are require than the normal weekly ones.

It looks like there will be 2 elevators connecting to the west tunnel area, but will require riders to use the centre one unless new elevators are going to be built on the platforms for this tunnel.

Kitchener:
They have torn down the building on the north side of the tracks north-west of the station an assuming a new GO parking lot is going there.

Fencing has been place on both side of the tracks where the street was close off for the new 12 car platform as well for GERX loco that are store there. There was a real beat up caboose there also and rare to see one these days.

Guelph:
They are still building shelters at the station as well the elevator that will take riders to the tunnel leading to the new yet built kiss-ride on the south side. The platforms will be using the new underpass bridge. Provision has been made for a future south platform on the new bridge as well stairs on the west side that are currently block off from the street at both ends. When the new platform is built, the stream locomotive will have to either move to the south or the platform will be narrow there. Don't see any provision for a future elevator to connect to the new tunnel. There could be a connection in the tunnel and since I could not gain access to it, its unknown.

The bridge to the east can handle a 2nd track there since it was design for 2 in the first place.

Saw the new bus loop in service as it was still being built the last time I saw it. Lack of washroom will be an issue when the VIA station is close.

A new condo is going up across the street from the station and will help GO if residents work in Toronto or want to visit it.

Burlington:
King Rd is close to traffic until December as it being rebuilt and widen south of the tracks. Only local residents and business are being allow in during the week and open on the weekends.

A second bridge has been built north of the new bridge and is higher than the other bridge for some reason. Not sure if this is a road bridge or another track bridge as design is different from the other one. If it is for a new yard lead track, it will require a retaining wall on the east side of the road to support the line up to the QEW. The communication tower and the ladder tracks will have to be rebuilt and move for this new track. It is possibly that the yard will be lengthen to free up one of the main lines being used for storage as well offering GO a 2nd track to the Aldershot & Hamilton Stations

From what I saw on Thursday, the existing station is history and being replace with a longer one close to the tracks between the current one and the old west entrance. With the old west entrance torn down, looks like they are planning to have 2 elevators there. Regardless if there is 2 there, they still need a 2nd one to the platform. Maybe they will add a 2nd one where the main one is once the west entrance is back in service.

As for the new station and not seeing any plans for the station, not sure why it is higher than the existing ground. Some may have to do with the connection to the boiler house.

Rendering has surface what that condo complex is going to look like between the station and Walmart. Should add a number of new riders once it gets built for GO, but will be a mainly car building since local transit sucks and the city not wanting to invest in it.

Stop 50:
The truck stop is close where GO wants to built the Grimsby Station and haven't heard when Metrolinx wants this station to be in service? I am assuming 2015 for the Pan Am's games and a waste since there are other lines needing more service than expanding the line to Niagara Falls now.

St. Catharines:
New readers, checker and fare machines have been in stalled at the VIA Station. The fare machine is still wrap up at the west/south end and looks like another one going in at the other end. Since the station is now unman, this will be the only way riders will be able to pay their fare on GO trains on the May Long Weekend and start of summer service June 29.

Never stop off at Niagara Falls to see if anything is new there or in Hamilton.

Photos in order as noted above.
8644935790_2d8b6116c7_b.jpg

8643839439_b19f24a878_b.jpg

8644981118_b4e4475580_b.jpg

8643840551_ffecd9e3be_b.jpg

8643880561_5bd973f12a_b.jpg

8643851909_1a7f2baac2_b.jpg

8644947840_2bcbbedff1_b.jpg

8644974580_2569e59200_b.jpg

8644948940_9c88686e6f_b.jpg

8644973244_931dede0be_b.jpg

8644952286_30451d358b_b.jpg

8644951682_8c77e91c9c_b.jpg

8643854927_5968515116_b.jpg

8645816788_93ea917513_b.jpg

8644715219_99e0217ba5_b.jpg

8645812994_c4b32f973d_b.jpg

8644961446_74c79af468_b.jpg

8644959602_cb728a3bf4_b.jpg

Condo Site
8644714715_419371eb6a_b.jpg

8644960972_d912f7dfdd_b.jpg

The demolition in Kitchener is likely due to the widening of Weber St. The Region is widening the road to 4 lanes, and building an underpass under the rails. Many properties on the East side of the street have been expropriated.

@dunkalunk
Why would you have an Express from Kitchener stop at Bramalea?
If I were plotting out an Express service, I'd have it do all stops to Acton, then stop at the 2 or 3 highest ridership stops after that.

Bramalea is an important transfer node to any buses that travel on the 407 and would connect the Kitchener line to Square One, York University, and Pearson Airport. Anyone who is headed to another destination on the line could walk across the platform at Georgetown and take a local train.

Bramalea is an important transfer node to any buses that travel on the 407 and would connect the Kitchener line to Square One, York University, and Pearson Airport. Anyone who is headed to another destination on the line could walk across the platform at Georgetown and take a local train.

Some questions, at what service levels for the entire line are you asking/suggesting that some trains run direct from KW to Bramalea? Current? 2015 modest increased levels? Or when the unidentified day comes when the full two way service arrives.

In your mind is it KW-Bramalea - Union with no other stops?

How long a trip down you think that is compared to the current "all stops" service?

I assume he is talking of a hypothetical:
Kitchener > Guelph > Acton > Georgetown >>> Bramalea >>> Union

For which the existing service pattens really do not fit. We'd be sending half empty trains into Union if we did this right now.

I see something more like:
Kitchener > Guelph > Acton >> Brampton >> Bramalea >> Bloor > Union
as workable in the short term to speed up service to the outer edges of the line. It still provides the maximum number of trains to the high traffic stations, but speeds things up.

Burlington:
A second bridge has been built north of the new bridge and is higher than the other bridge for some reason. Not sure if this is a road bridge or another track bridge as design is different from the other one. If it is for a new yard lead track, it will require a retaining wall on the east side of the road to support the line up to the QEW. The communication tower and the ladder tracks will have to be rebuilt and move for this new track. It is possibly that the yard will be lengthen to free up one of the main lines being used for storage as well offering GO a 2nd track to the Aldershot & Hamilton Stations

There was a small creek that crosses under the tracks and used to cross under King Road in a culvert. It will now cross over King Road in that bridge.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

April 14
The official word is, the corridor in the Weston Area is 2 months behind schedule and it still to open on the schedule time frame. Parts of this delay is due to unforeseen issues and have cause a 9 month delay for some work.

A lot of bitching regarding the condition of the roads over the dirt and dust from the movement of the trucks from the site.

Metrolinx wanted extra hours for work during the week as well on some weekends, but have been shot down for it at this time.

If the new road bridge for King St was to be in place by September, but not going to happen on what I saw. Since one road is to be open at all times, both John St and Church St work can take place until King St is open.

The original #1 track at Blackcreek Dr to south of Rogers Rd have been totally removed.

Part of the new retaining wall and the new bridge on the east side of Weston Rd is in place with foundation work to start on the west side. The hole is dug for the west side. The road has been lower by a foot for the current traffic lanes.

The excavation of the road under the Dennison Rd bridge hasn't progress to far from the last time I saw it.

Work is still slow at the Diamond. Part of the concrete track base has been pour and its over 3' thick.

No work has stated on Ray overpass yet.
8649610675_3e008f4001_b.jpg

8650723316_9814179d2b_b.jpg

8649611887_43b6d0f0e2_b.jpg

8650706728_fec9960ca9_b.jpg

8650727802_7cdf84e94c_b.jpg

8649630571_94902f79a2_b.jpg

8650731104_713997dc4e_b.jpg

8650705318_eb95e6858e_b.jpg

8650700088_5d7a087075_b.jpg

8649604657_bbdcfbe941_b.jpg

Looks like they are having a water table issue at Dennison. I'm surprised that they needed horizontal support braces at the start of the gradient for the West Toronto Diamond grade separation. Obviously it is temporary. I guess the new track bed slab is there as a structural compression member to replace those horizontal braces and not just to support the track bed.

Thanks for the photo update as always.

April 17
Stop off to do some grocery shopping on my way home and check the Bloor Station out.

All entrances to the platforms off Bloor St are close and you have to walk 2 blocks north to gain access to the new extension south of the Wallace walkway bridge.

Only 3 cars are servicing the platform to the point northbound trains are stopping north of the Wallace bridge. Platform it totally automated with fare machine there.

I see this is the first area where clear cutting of all trees and shrub in the corridor has taken place. This has happen since my last visit.

Shoring taking place next to track 3 at the station end.

Caught a KW & Milton train while there. The KW train had FP59 560 on point with FP59 561 pushing. A rare sight to see these days considering it was a 10 pack and no snow on the ground.

Hording is up next to the rail path and it show how the noise wall will look if it got built there as well how much room is lost.
8661543926_8d9103c901_b.jpg

8660447845_a362020390_b.jpg

8661541270_9df3d0d4e3_b.jpg

8661542742_775dcb05a1_b.jpg

[video=youtube;raAessppQwc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raAessppQwc[/video]

I don't know Hamilton very well.....so I apologize if this question comes across all "uninformed".... and I imagine there is a ton of discussion somewhere on this...not looking to retrace anything but can someone give me the 50 cent explanation on why this station is needed and needed for the opening of the Pan Am games?

Just a quick look a the maps of the world shows me there is already a Hamilton GO station......one that is 3.8km from Ivor Wynne stadium....why, are Metrolinx building a new station that is 3.7km from Ivor Wynne and suggesting that it is important that this be ready prior to the games? Could they not just run trains to the old station? Again, sorry if this has (likely) been rehashed a million times....just find it interesting.

I don't know Hamilton very well.....so I apologize if this question comes across all "uninformed".... and I imagine there is a ton of discussion somewhere on this...not looking to retrace anything but can someone give me the 50 cent explanation on why this station is needed and needed for the opening of the Pan Am games?

Just a quick look a the maps of the world shows me there is already a Hamilton GO station......one that is 3.8km from Ivor Wynne stadium....why, are Metrolinx building a new station that is 3.7km from Ivor Wynne and suggesting that it is important that this be ready prior to the games? Could they not just run trains to the old station? Again, sorry if this has (likely) been rehashed a million times....just find it interesting.

To bring in visitors from Niagara Falls as well to events down there. It will be part of the Niagara Falls line and able to provide more service to Hamilton by the CN Line than the current CP Line.

It down by the current CN yard and the old CN station.

Could they not just run trains to the old station?

No, because the old station is on the CP Hamilton sub and the limited amount of track time CP has granted wont allow for all day service to Hamilton least not without some major upgrades to the line particularly the single track section through the tunnel just west of the Hamilton GO center. While this station would be further away from the core it is by far the much cheaper and quicker solution.

No, because the old station is on the CP Hamilton sub and the limited amount of track time CP has granted wont allow for all day service to Hamilton least not without some major upgrades to the line particularly the single track section through the tunnel just west of the Hamilton GO center. While this station would be further away from the core it is by far the much cheaper and quicker solution.

Plus much easier to run the half hour service :)

Thanks...folks....so it is a long term upgrade and I imagine not totally necessary that it be completed prior to the Pan Ams...but that would be nice if they could do it.

Back