News   Sep 16, 2019
 1K     5 
News   Sep 16, 2019
 1.3K     16 
News   Sep 16, 2019
 1K     0 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

crs1026

Member Bio
Reaction score

Allandale25

Member Bio
Reaction score
^ so it still shows the Kitchener Extension and the Bowmanville Extension at their previous capital cost levels?

raptor

Member Bio
Reaction score
Capital Projects report for the next ML Board meeting has been posted here.

The old RER/Expansion budget chart continues to be shown.

One item that caught my eye was that a tender for grading and soundwalls for double tracking the south end of the Barrie Line was awarded in April. I may have missed this one - can anyone point to the announcement?

- Paul
It's the first time I'm seeing it too. I guess there was no announcement as it wasn't done through IO.
"The scope of the first contract includes grading, noise walls, retaining walls, culvert extensions, and utility relocations on the southern portion of the corridor, as well as bridge widening at Sheppard Avenue and a new platform at Downsview Park GO Station. "

Also, the 2019/20 Business Plan is here:

There are bits of interesting information.

raptor

Member Bio
Reaction score
Also, there's confirmation that Caledonia GO station will start this year. No word on Mt. Dennis GO station...

Edit: According to the following link, Mt Dennis station is included in the Crosstown project, and presumably there is no need to tender it separately:

Last edited:

crs1026

Member Bio
Reaction score
A quick read - capital expense on GO Expansion in 2018-2019 will be $2.1B of ML's $3.8B total capital budget (the remainder going to transit etc).

The key projects highlighted are Stouffville track, 401/409 Tunnel, Davenport Diamond, Barrie Corridor. There is a statement that Lakeshore East Expansions and Lakeshore West are still on. As in past years, it is sometimes difficult to discern where the progress planned for this business year is merely in studies (Niagara, Kitchener, and Bowmanville all seem to fit that category) versus actual field construction.

When one looks for a breakdown of the $2.1B, the amounts reported for key projects are pretty small
Bowmanville - $7M
Niagara - $22M
Kitchener - $27M
but then there is a grab bag item "GO Expansion and Optimization" of $755M.

There's lots of USRC work described and work to advance the new Control Center and various signalling needs, but it's a pretty nebulous breakdown.

- Paul

Last edited:

smallspy

Member Bio
Reaction score
No word on Mt. Dennis GO station...

Edit: According to the following link, Mt Dennis station is included in the Crosstown project, and presumably there is no need to tender it separately:
In fact, preliminary work on Mount Dennis has already started.

Dan

blaixx

Member Bio
Reaction score
I'm curious about the Confederation GO station. Is the rail station opening this year, or is it just the bus loop? What is the service plan once Confederation opens.

I've done some googling, but only yielded a few articles in the past year.
I haven't found anything myself although 2019 does not seem likely to me. Service will likely be the same 2 trips per direction per day as West Harbour and then the existing Route 12 GO bus between Burlington and Niagara.

crs1026

Member Bio
Reaction score
^ Would this add double tracking? cc @crs1026
I don't have access to the documents, but the answer is likely, it's the first step.

The key words are "Enabling works". My understanding is that in ML procurement space this implies utility relocation, grading, fencing and/or sound walls, culvert extenstion, etc....but not necessarily the laying of track itself and installation of signalling.

MP 21.10 is the first farm crossing north of the end of double track at Kirby, and MP 29.17 is Englehard Road, just south of Aurora Station. So logically that implies at least one track in addition to the current single track on that stretch. That's enough passing capacity to push hourly 2WAD service to possibly Bradford, assuming the Davenport work creates double track south of Steeles. It would likely also resolve the siding issue at the lumber yard north of King City that causes the "roadswitcher day" bustitutions.

We would have to hear about more track work at or north of Bradford to push 2WAD any further north or any more frequently than hourly. It's 12.5 miles from Aurora to Bradford, with two intermediate GO stations.....so without double track, hourly headways (30 minutes up, 30 minutes back) are as good as it gets. (Do I recall a procurement for some small project at Bradford, eg a passing siding?)

Personally I'm pleased to see ML procuring some of these projects outside of the Mother of all P3 procurement. The bidders on the latter can't be expected to take every and all risks and manage every and all bit of work on the GO network. Getting to a graded, ready for track right of way is a logical starting point for P3 bidders.

- Paul

Last edited:

robmausser

Member Bio
Reaction score
It would be cool if there was a map showing the tracking of each go train line, whats single, double, triple, etc and what is being currently constructed, under construction, approved.

As well as color coded for Metrolinx, CN, CP etc.

robmausser

Member Bio
Reaction score
^
This map provides the ownership and the amount of tracks in corridor: https://rac.jmaponline.net/canadianrailatlas/

I don't think there's a singular map that shows "currently constructed, under construction, approved".

The map @ShonTron posted a few pages back (see here) had the recently constructed layer for the Kitchener Line between Bramalea and Georgetown.
Yeah RAC is nice, but the way it shows the number of tracks is real sloppy. You have to zoom way it. Makes sense as its a to-scale map though. Also it not only doesnt show upcomimg construction but its out of date; it doesnt show any of the recent tracking on Barrie.