News   Nov 19, 2019
 1.1K     19 
News   Nov 19, 2019
 795     1 
News   Nov 19, 2019
 783     3 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

Toronto1834

Member Bio
Reaction score
I don't have any specific information, other than having heard through back channels that the expansion had indeed been scaled waaay back.

The comment about construction of a Highland Creek bridge does make me think that some third track extension will happen. It's a touch over 3 miles from Rouge Hill to Durham Jct, so reading the text literally, the 3-mile reduction would be from Rouge Hill eastwards.

Operationally, if eastbound local GOs can be held at Rouge Hill on a third track, it's possible to run 15 minute locals plus hourly Oshawa Expresses and hourly VIA's while running the same pattern westbound. The choke point is actually at Durham Jct where eastbound GOs will have to cross over the path of westbound VIA's , but expanded use of the south platform at Pickering might mitigate that.

The other choke point discussion is the fourth track from Union to Scarborough Jct, and the flyover/under at that point. That's a huge deal.

- Paul
Interesting point about Scarborough Jct needing a flyover. I do not take the Souffville Line frequently but when I have rode the train eastbound I have noticed VIA Rail trains stopped westbound at the Junction as GO Trains cross over their path. I would imagine this will become quite a big issue as Souffville service approaches 15 minute headways as I believe this may also force westbound Lakeshore trains to wait.

Allandale25

Member Bio
Reaction score
^ It was mentioned at the Durham townhall and as @crs1026 said they are looking at a fly over. Looking forward to seeing the drawings. Will it require an EA like the Davenport Overpass?

crs1026

Member Bio
Reaction score
Will it require an EA like the Davenport Overpass?
A TPAP, I’m sure.

It will be interesting to see whether they have learned anything about community relations after the Davenport debacle. I’m quite sure that local residents out there don’t know this is coming.

- Paul

drum118

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
July 08
More up on site
Hamilton Confederation GO Station

Hamilton Desjardins Channel 3rd Track Bridge

Old Valley Inn Rd

July 14
Torbram Rd Grade Separation For CN Rail Halton Subdivision In Brampton

Georgetown-Kitchener Corridor Expansion: Metrolinx Weston Subdivision Torbram Rd 4 Track Grade Separation For CN Rail And GO Transit In Mississauga

[imghttps://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48327121852_02d238233c_b.jpg[/img]

drum118

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
^It's going to be so exciting when that 4th track on the Kitchener line goes live.
Why??? It only connects to CN Halton Sub as a loop now and no plans in the works going further west than it does today. The south track will connect to the Bramalea platform as #3 track, Track 2 will connect to the south track for the centre platform like it has been doing all these years. Track 2 will connect into CN Mainline Halton Sub and be on the north side of the centre platform. There is space to add the south 3 to the east of the Bramalea station and deal with the current 2 tracks to the east. No idea with the siding tracks are been used at this time nor does the track connect into CN track 3 to the west.

Having 4 tracks for the KW line on the Halton Sub goes back to the early 2000's when it was only a single track. GO did a EA for adding a 2nd track and I call for 4 tracks then. EA was approved a 2 tracks, but 3 got built that I was happy to see, but still want 4. This would allow CN to use 2 tracks and GO using the other track and cut down on the interference for adding more trains down the road. Other than Brampton Station area, the corridor can support 4 tracks easy. If the office and bus terminal get torn down as been talked about, then the corridor can 4 tracks from Bramalea to Georgetown.

Current setup

Any idea when the Hamilton Desjardins Channel 3rd track will be connected to the line?
Its up to CN and CP, but mostly CN who have this on the long list of things to be done after dealing with their mainline issues first. Maybe 2020 or 2021 with 2021 time frame due funding cuts and opening of Confederation Station. Others with better info may say something different and my view only at this time.

crs1026

Member Bio
Reaction score
Any idea when the Hamilton Desjardins Channel 3rd track will be connected to the line?
It’s supposed to be imminent, ie next few weekends. Initially, there will be one new switch connecting the new track to the south CP-CN connecting track (the track that takes.GO to CP at Desjardins). The new Interlocking at Dundurn (where the two tracks coming out of West Harbour narrow to one track) will come on line at that time also.

- Paul

Allandale25

Member Bio
Reaction score
It’s supposed to be imminent, ie next few weekends. Initially, there will be one new switch connecting the new track to the south CP-CN connecting track (the track that takes.GO to CP at Desjardins). The new Interlocking at Dundurn (where the two tracks coming out of West Harbour narrow to one track) will come on line at that time also.

- Paul
So this right?

Attachments

Reecemartin

Member Bio
Reaction score
I've been riding thew Stouffville line daily so I thought I'd throw my hat into the ring on Scarborough Junction Flyover speculation:

A few points:

- I don't think Metrolinx plans to service Scarborough Post Flyover
- Danforth Rd and St. Clair complicate the design a lot, St. Clair pretty much makes a fly under out of the question and Danforth likely needs a grade separation but the proximity to the intersection with Midland complicates things
- Elevating the tracks above Danforth might initially make sense just to avoid dealing with that intersection

What I'd propose:

1. Shift the Southern Platform and track at Scarborough as far South as the current building permits that give room to elevate the express track which becomes the Flyover Track and starts climbing around Scarborough
2. Shift the current Stouffville Line track farther North as it turns, this mainly just encroaches on parking lots, giving room for the down ramp for the second track.
3. Remove the intersection of Danforth Road and Midland, Danforth now passes under Midland and drivers can use Greystone Walk Drive to connect, this gives room for the second track to come in next to the original track

Heres a diagram:

I'd point out that the pink track connection (the reverse direction though) would be of use in the meantime as well, allowing the Northbound ST line train to wait for the Southbound train to exit the single track section before it enters.

I also thought you folks might appreciate the massive pile of Concrete ties sitting right by Scarborough GO

crs1026

Member Bio
Reaction score
Remind me what this connection permits. It’s part of the ML communication strategy. Draw it out long enough and no one remembers what is supposed to be happening or why.
ML built a new track from Hamilton Jct (where the CP and CN lines through Hamilton connect) to the new station at West Harbour. The theory was that the track would be needed when substantial GO sevice was begun through West Harbour. The track has been there for some years now, but never tied in or used. At current GO service levels it hasn’t been missed, but it will be needed if 2WAD to West Harbour or beyond ever arrives. It’s a white elephant or it’s good long range proactive investment, whichever you like.

The “no one remembers what is supposed to be happening or why” comment is well put, and mostly applies to GO’s internal plan to serve Hamilton. Lots of grand plans, but either no money or no railway agreement or no sense of urgency, or a sudden better idea that restarts the planning, or all of the above.

Oh, and by the way.....the final configuration will need further rearrangement of plant at Hamilton Jct, plus extension to Bayview, before it can actually do what it is meant to do....and GO has no apparent procurement in process to finish the job, so this summer’s work is just a small step, not the end of the job.

Maybe some day.

- Paul