News   Aug 16, 2019
 1.6K     7 
News   Aug 16, 2019
 661     1 
News   Aug 16, 2019
 807     0 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

Allandale25

Member Bio
Reaction score
Metrolinx Weston Sub grade separation is still a year or so off from being completed. The 4th track bridge is in place, but still has to be back fill. 2 sections of the east retaining wall on the north side is seeing forming and that retaining wall could be done by year end. The south section still has to have its top form with handrail. Still some forming of retaining wall to be done as well.
Sorry I'm a little unclear. Which grade separation is this and where exactly? cc @crs1026 @smallspy

crs1026

Member Bio
Reaction score
Sorry I'm a little unclear. Which grade separation is this and where exactly? cc @crs1026 @smallspy
This may help. The two grade separations are just east of Bramalea GO, and east of the junction between the Halton and Weston Subs. There are two projects, one for the CN Halton Sub (which is nearing completion) and one for the GO Weston Sub (which has been a very painful project). You can see the two road diversions at the very right side of the shot. I zoomed over to show the Bramalea GO station so you get the relative locations.

- Paul

Screen Shot 2019-07-15 at 1.19.46 PM.png

Allandale25

Member Bio
Reaction score
Not sure if this email update (from July 9th) has been posted. This matter was mentioned back at the Metrolinx town hall in Durham where it was stated that they wouldn't need some of the third tracking on the Lakeshore East corridor. Just out of curiosity, does this mean they'll still add a third track between Guildwood and Rough Hill Stations? cc @crs1026 @smallspy

Lakeshore East Rail Corridor
Update for Rouge Hill GO Station to Pickering Area

Metrolinx is working to transform the way the region moves by building a seamless, convenient and integrated transit network across the Greater Golden Horseshoe. Over the next 10 years, Metrolinx is transforming the existing GO rail system to deliver a whole new rapid transit experience to your community. With more frequent train service you’ll have more options to get you where you need to go.

What has changed?

Initially, it was understood that the Lakeshore East Rail Corridor would have to be widened to accommodate the new third track, but with intensive reviews of the project scope and train service between Rouge Hill GO and Durham Junction (west of Pickering GO Station), Metrolinx determined that it is possible to reduce the entire three-mile three track section while still achieving future GO Expansion service levels.

This now means that there will be limited impact to adjacent trees and landscaping in the immediate future. There will be some work done to the Rouge River Bridge. Also, during Highland Creek Bridge construction there will be some impacts to the section of the Waterfront Trail under the Highland Creek Bridge. The plan for this work is still being finalized, but Metrolinx remains committed to engagement with the surrounding community in advance of and during these impacts.

crs1026

Member Bio
Reaction score
Not sure if this email update (from July 9th) has been posted. This matter was mentioned back at the Metrolinx town hall in Durham where it was stated that they wouldn't need some of the third tracking on the Lakeshore East corridor. Just out of curiosity, does this mean they'll still add a third track between Guildwood and Rough Hill Stations? cc @crs1026 @smallspy
I don't have any specific information, other than having heard through back channels that the expansion had indeed been scaled waaay back.

The comment about construction of a Highland Creek bridge does make me think that some third track extension will happen. It's a touch over 3 miles from Rouge Hill to Durham Jct, so reading the text literally, the 3-mile reduction would be from Rouge Hill eastwards.

Operationally, if eastbound local GOs can be held at Rouge Hill on a third track, it's possible to run 15 minute locals plus hourly Oshawa Expresses and hourly VIA's while running the same pattern westbound. The choke point is actually at Durham Jct where eastbound GOs will have to cross over the path of westbound VIA's , but expanded use of the south platform at Pickering might mitigate that.

The other choke point discussion is the fourth track from Union to Scarborough Jct, and the flyover/under at that point. That's a huge deal.

- Paul

Toronto1834

Member Bio
Reaction score
I don't have any specific information, other than having heard through back channels that the expansion had indeed been scaled waaay back.

The comment about construction of a Highland Creek bridge does make me think that some third track extension will happen. It's a touch over 3 miles from Rouge Hill to Durham Jct, so reading the text literally, the 3-mile reduction would be from Rouge Hill eastwards.

Operationally, if eastbound local GOs can be held at Rouge Hill on a third track, it's possible to run 15 minute locals plus hourly Oshawa Expresses and hourly VIA's while running the same pattern westbound. The choke point is actually at Durham Jct where eastbound GOs will have to cross over the path of westbound VIA's , but expanded use of the south platform at Pickering might mitigate that.

The other choke point discussion is the fourth track from Union to Scarborough Jct, and the flyover/under at that point. That's a huge deal.

- Paul
Interesting point about Scarborough Jct needing a flyover. I do not take the Souffville Line frequently but when I have rode the train eastbound I have noticed VIA Rail trains stopped westbound at the Junction as GO Trains cross over their path. I would imagine this will become quite a big issue as Souffville service approaches 15 minute headways as I believe this may also force westbound Lakeshore trains to wait.

Allandale25

Member Bio
Reaction score
^ It was mentioned at the Durham townhall and as @crs1026 said they are looking at a fly over. Looking forward to seeing the drawings. Will it require an EA like the Davenport Overpass?

crs1026

Member Bio
Reaction score
Will it require an EA like the Davenport Overpass?
A TPAP, I’m sure.

It will be interesting to see whether they have learned anything about community relations after the Davenport debacle. I’m quite sure that local residents out there don’t know this is coming.

- Paul

drum118

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
July 08
More up on site
Hamilton Confederation GO Station

Hamilton Desjardins Channel 3rd Track Bridge

Old Valley Inn Rd

July 14
Torbram Rd Grade Separation For CN Rail Halton Subdivision In Brampton

Georgetown-Kitchener Corridor Expansion: Metrolinx Weston Subdivision Torbram Rd 4 Track Grade Separation For CN Rail And GO Transit In Mississauga

[imghttps://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48327121852_02d238233c_b.jpg[/img]

drum118

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
^It's going to be so exciting when that 4th track on the Kitchener line goes live.
Why??? It only connects to CN Halton Sub as a loop now and no plans in the works going further west than it does today. The south track will connect to the Bramalea platform as #3 track, Track 2 will connect to the south track for the centre platform like it has been doing all these years. Track 2 will connect into CN Mainline Halton Sub and be on the north side of the centre platform. There is space to add the south 3 to the east of the Bramalea station and deal with the current 2 tracks to the east. No idea with the siding tracks are been used at this time nor does the track connect into CN track 3 to the west.

Having 4 tracks for the KW line on the Halton Sub goes back to the early 2000's when it was only a single track. GO did a EA for adding a 2nd track and I call for 4 tracks then. EA was approved a 2 tracks, but 3 got built that I was happy to see, but still want 4. This would allow CN to use 2 tracks and GO using the other track and cut down on the interference for adding more trains down the road. Other than Brampton Station area, the corridor can support 4 tracks easy. If the office and bus terminal get torn down as been talked about, then the corridor can 4 tracks from Bramalea to Georgetown.

Current setup

Any idea when the Hamilton Desjardins Channel 3rd track will be connected to the line?
Its up to CN and CP, but mostly CN who have this on the long list of things to be done after dealing with their mainline issues first. Maybe 2020 or 2021 with 2021 time frame due funding cuts and opening of Confederation Station. Others with better info may say something different and my view only at this time.

crs1026

Member Bio
Reaction score
Any idea when the Hamilton Desjardins Channel 3rd track will be connected to the line?
It’s supposed to be imminent, ie next few weekends. Initially, there will be one new switch connecting the new track to the south CP-CN connecting track (the track that takes.GO to CP at Desjardins). The new Interlocking at Dundurn (where the two tracks coming out of West Harbour narrow to one track) will come on line at that time also.

- Paul