News   Jul 19, 2024
 335     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 599     0 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 1.7K     3 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

Wow, shocking. Not only will this kill the plan to extend the line in Scarborough, it eliminates 3 of the existing RT stops.

It looks like Karen Stintz and Rob Ford really screwed Scarborough over big time!

I'd hate to think how long the SRT would have to be closed for a subway conversion. I'd think that it would be significantly longer than an LRT conversion.

This isn't what council agreed to, and I'd be surprised if council agrees to this.

The province has put the city in a tough position. It's either they accept this inferior option or they find a way to find a way to fund their plan. Your move next!

Stinz is already washing her hands of it.

Well then she needs to go and find the money to fund her superior subway plan. She and the city haven't put up one cent. The province at least is showing that we can build a subway with the money we already have and not need any other funding which will never come.

The province has put the city in a tough position. It's either they accept this inferior option or they find a way to find a way to fund their plan.
Or go back to the fully funded LRT conversion and extension to Sheppard/Markham.

It's incredulous that Murray would come up with this plan when there's still weeks before the Sept 30 deadline. Chances were always slim that the feds would pay up but now be have a precedent of not even bothering to to hear from the feds (even if it was a refusal). Ottawa already doesn't seem to care much for funding in the 416 and now Harper is just going to figure that Queens Park can just go it alone anyways.

It's incredulous that Murray would come up with this plan when there's still weeks before the Sept 30 deadline. Chances were always slim that the feds would pay up but now be have a precedent of not even bothering to to hear from the feds (even if it was a refusal). Ottawa already doesn't seem to care much for funding in the 416 and now Harper is just going to figure that Queens Park can just go it alone anyways.

Maybe because they have talked to these same people and realized no money is coming. Why wait for the inevitable? Anybody with a clue knew Ottawa wasn't going to pay up. Or you think Ottawa is going to surprise us and announce money by Sept 30th? Already the plan was in shambles because the provincial government did not put up the 1.8 billion the city wanted.

Last edited:
I still think the optics would have been better having the time run out on Ottawa coming to the table rather than just walking away from the table.

Also why do I constantly see people stating that Ford/Stintz/Council haven't put a cent on the table? The money wasn't a lot and it was conditional on the feds but there were municipal money on the table. Hell, Ford even voted a property tax increase.

So we have a funded lrt plan, this inferior subway plan which is funded, and an unfunded pipe dream thrown by the city in which all the stars has to align. Which one to pick?

I still think the optics would have been better having the time run out on Ottawa coming to the table rather than just walking away from the table.

Also why do I constantly see people stating that Ford/Stintz/Council haven't put a cent on the table? The money wasn't a lot and it was conditional on the feds but there were municipal money on the table. Hell, Ford even voted a property tax increase.
Because we actually haven't seen an announcement on how much they are willing to contribute. Just something about they might increase taxes to raise the money and even that they can't agree on. The amount that Ford wants to increase does not amount to required contribution that is needed to build the subway.

I think Murray did this to get council stop debating plans and start building something.

At the same time he has sent a clear message that you come up with the bulk of the money to build this white elephant or go back to Square One and built the original LRT Plan.

Even though I support part of the Subway extension, it toooooo laaaate to do it.

Its a given Ottawa is not going to fund this subway and leaves the city on the hock for about $1.3B to get the line to Sheppard as well the stations.

We will still seeing council debating this in Oct.

Mississauga is ready to take that $1.4B today to build their LRT line since they have stating the "stop taking, writing reports and just start building" campaign.

From the Toronto Star transportation reporter twitter feed:

Teresa Kalinowski ‏@TessKalinowski 8m
Murray and Duguid say they don't really care what council thinks of their new subway plan -- that they're paying. TTC will be the owner
Retweeted by Matt Elliott

The arrogance of Glen Murray is sickening! He should go back to Winnipeg where he belongs!

Back