News   Jul 19, 2024
 330     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 591     0 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 1.6K     3 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

Phase 1: I figure elevating Eglinton is pretty much mandatory and the cost would be about $300M to $400M on top of the LRT plan. Add another $300M to extend the SRT to Malvern and not stop one station from the end.

Phase 2: To have a branch of the line continue north parallel to Kennedy, the corridor is not wide enough. 2 tracks would be needed for GO and 2 for the LRT. From Sheppard to Finch it is very residential (single family) so I will assume for now that it would only go up to Sheppard. That is about 2km and the line would have to be elevated, going over Progress and the 401. Lets say another $300M to $400M for this.

Phase 3: To have a line go from Agincourt to U of T Scarborough would require say $200M for an interchange to facilitate the Southbound to Eastbound and Westbound to Northbound movements. It would also require about 4km of elevated track @150M/km to get to U of T ($600M). This line would be about $800M total.

In total, these would add up to $1.8B - probably similar (if you use a high estimate) to the extra required to bring the B-D subway up McCowan to Sheppard. It can also be done in stages so the extra needed now is just the $300M to $400M to elevate the Eglinton LRT, which has immediate benefits and also keeps all options open for the future.

Despite the above, I do not support this idea - it was just in response to the idea of having a branch up to Agincourt.

Phase 1 is definitely needed. Electrified GO (with fare integration) can adequately serve Agincourt with increased frequency service - maybe a new station can be added at Finch. No sense having 4 tracks added to duplicate the service. The Durham (Ellesmere) BRT would serve UTSC. At this point, there are probably higher priorities across the rest of Toronto. For the next Scarborough plan, I would rather use the $1.2B (from phase 2 and 3 above) to extend the B-D subway to Kingston Road - about 5km.

Seems like a plan.

Toronto seems intent on blowing $2 billion for no other reason than to get rid of a transfer. Imagine how far that would extend the BD to Kingston and beyond and actually serve people that have no service now.

Until they change their mind in the next week or two.

But perhaps the extension could follow a parallel route and not have to close the SRT in the mean time, seems to be enough space for it.

Keithz:

Maybe not, depending on the exact alignment and the impact it has on extant SRT infrastructure. Not enough detail to judge at this point.

AoD

Look at Edmonton putting $800 million of their own money into expanding their transit system, only in Toronto are we deluded into thinking only others should pay:

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news...ed+years+funding+shortfall/8843959/story.html

This. Ottawa too is putting in a billion bucks of its own money. Toronto is substantially bigger than both those cities and yet people think that Toronto should get credit for putting in $600 million per year into the TTC. I can't believe this debate. Any other city would have jumped at the chance to get an infrastructure upgrade for a slight top-up. Only in Toronto is coming up with an extra $400 million to go from LRT to subway, a migraine-inducing exercise.

Yay! Scarborough gets the booby prize!

Thanks Glenn De Baeremaeker, you useless dud.

Glenn is still trumpeting this as a huge victory for Scarborough, spectacular he says, (in the Globe article)

And yet last year when council pried transit away from the Mayor and saved Transit City he was proclaiming that "Scarborough deserves better than subways, we deserve LRT!"

He is engaging in blatant vote grabbing and he knows it.

This. Ottawa too is putting in a billion bucks of its own money. Toronto is substantially bigger than both those cities and yet people think that Toronto should get credit for putting in $600 million per year into the TTC. I can't believe this debate. Any other city would have jumped at the chance to get an infrastructure upgrade for a slight top-up. Only in Toronto is coming up with an extra $400 million to go from LRT to subway, a migraine-inducing exercise.

Only in Scarborough are people wanting subways and expecting others to pay for it. It's not a "Toronto" issue, if polls are to be believed.

AoD

Back