News   Jul 19, 2024
 247     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 477     0 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 1.4K     2 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

The announcement is a “huge, huge, huge victory for the people of Scarborough, for the city of Toronto,” said Mr. De Baeremaeker, who also is a TTC commissioner.

This guy is a TTC commissioner?

Can someone please fire him. Now.

Well I hope Rob Ford is happy. Say hello to less rapid transit and more crowded and longer bus rides for the great people of Scarborough (if it's approved). This is just sweet.

Last edited:
The province has put the city in a tough position. It's either they accept this inferior option or they find a way to find a way to fund their plan. Your move next!

I really think that this was done out of spite by the province. I can't see how anyone would think this is a good plan.

From the Toronto Star transportation reporter twitter feed:

The arrogance of Glen Murray is sickening! He should go back to Winnipeg where he belongs!

Not sure how this is sickening. Without the City and Federal financial support, it is really the Province's money that they are using to get this done. For $1.4 billion, here is the Subway we can build for you. That's the truth. At least the province is being fiscally responsible this time around.

The feds are now saying that they will respond to the request in due course - let's hope they are a bit more prompt than they were with the Spadina extension...

AoD

I really think that this was done out of spite by the province. I can't see how anyone would think this is a good plan.

It's the subway plan for the money available. So now we have three options. Support this new plan, go back to the LRT which, or for Toronto to find 1 billion plus for the subway plan that they put forward. Which will city council support?

For those who haven't seen it, the new Scarborough Subway:

BTVW-cLCcAACoE3.jpg

Follows the exact same alignment as the SRT and removes all but two stations.

If someone showed me this yesterday, I would have brushed it off as some kind of sick joke.

Is it absolutely vital to have an Ellesmere and Midland stop on the line to better service those under incommed areas, since this approximates the same route. Although shame about the lack of Sheppard connection.

Basically the province is trying to cover all their bases. Whichever of the three plans is chosen, they will feel they will come on top.

I don't think this is a terrible plan. It seems weird that this proposal removes Ellesmere, Midland and McCowan stations but these stations are all REALLY underused. Much better than the Miller plan which makes the SRT conversion/extension dependent on the Sheppard LRT, which is so bizarre that I swear that this was done solely to force the widely hated Sheppard LRT to be built.

I don't know whether to be amused or alarmed that the people planning the subway expansion don't realize we already have a station called "Lawrence".

I don't think this is a terrible plan. It seems weird that this proposal removes Ellesmere, Midland and McCowan stations but these stations are all REALLY underused. Much better than the Miller plan which makes the SRT conversion/extension dependent on the Sheppard LRT, which is so bizarre that I swear that this was done solely to force the widely hated Sheppard LRT to be built.

Really?

Really?

You think this is a better plan?

So a one stop subway that will serve far fewer people than the 8 stop LRT is a better plan?

There is no benefit to this subway plan whatsoever. Since there are only two stations (vs eight with LRT), the bus rides to the subway will be longer and more crowded. The average travel time for people in Scarborough will almost certainly increase. This really only benefits those in Scarborough who live and work at STC and at Lawrence @ Midland. Everyone else is a loser.

Last edited:
From the Toronto Star transportation reporter twitter feed:

Teresa Kalinowski ‏@TessKalinowski 8m
Murray and Duguid say they don't really care what council thinks of their new subway plan -- that they're paying. TTC will be the owner
Retweeted by Matt Elliott
The arrogance of Glen Murray is sickening! He should go back to Winnipeg where he belongs!

So does this mean that even if council votes against this, the province will go ahead with this plan? I was really hoping that this was just a ploy to get Council to stop bickering over the SRT, but his comments suggest otherwise.

So we have a funded lrt plan, this inferior subway plan which is funded, and an unfunded pipe dream thrown by the city in which all the stars has to align. Which one to pick?

Does not matter. Rob Ford would NOT use any of the options, unless its a photo op, because his first option is his car.

Back