News   Jul 19, 2024
 48     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 176     1 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 388     0 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

Toronto stuck cash into the Spadina extension. And ford did say that he was willing to have a 1% tax hike to make the subway happen.. (or around 20 million a year)
How many of Toronto's money is going into any of the LRT projects...As for Ford and his so called tax hike, I'll believe it when I see it.

How many of Toronto's money is going into any of the LRT projects...As for Ford and his so called tax hike, I'll believe it when I see it.

Well, Toronto put about $700M into vehicle purchases (delivery happening now), $150M for a new downtown storage yard (I think it was a 3 way split), and has been investing around $80M/year in track rebuilds.

The money started flowing under Miller and Ford was unable to stop it.

that is for streetcars, not the lrt network. 100% of the funding for the LRTs is provincial, but that is because they want to maintain ownership. in the traditional 1/3,1/3,1/3 setup the city maintains ownership. (like for the Spadina subway, which was funded only 3 years before the LRT, showing that the city is willing to pay up)

that is for streetcars, not the lrt network.

Right, it's for the downtown Light Rail Transit (LRT) network; also known as trams and streetcars depending on your location.

Either way, cherry picking projects will get you funny answers. Toronto taxes (property, land transfer, development charges, etc.) contribute about $600M/year into TTC; $6B over the last decade (2013 dollars) and likely much more over the coming decade as maintenance costs increase.

People like to mention the lack of Toronto funding for the new LRT routes but they fail to look at the the hundreds of projects in the capital budget, most small but some large, budget which do not get split 3 ways or operations.

In the end, even with full Big Move funding, Toronto property taxes will be putting in 10's of billions over that 30 year timeline.

I would like to see the city contribute more capital to TTC projects but to say they put in nothing into TTC capital is very incorrect.

Last edited:
I would love to see a map of the potential routing of the subway along the RT alignment. It would be interesting to compare options.

The Kennedy Station reconstruction option is an interesting one. If they split off from the existing track early enough, theoretically they could have B-D itself split into two branches: one going up the SRT ROW to STC and then Sheppard, and one going east along Eglinton to Kingston Rd. The Kingston Road branch would obviously come later. Now, rebuilding Kennedy opens up a whole new can of worms, but it also presents some interesting opportunities.

Another opportunity would be to use the SRT alignment up until the Gatineau Hydro corridor, and then run elevated through the corridor until McCowan, where it then goes cut and cover to STC and eventually Sheppard. This would allow for an elevated station right overtop of the Brimley & Lawrence intersection, hitting 2 major bus routes with the same station (as opposed to the current Lawrence East station that only has 1). Running through the hydro corridor means over 2km less tunnelling.

It's just too bad that the rail ROW that the subway used from Warden to Kennedy that used to extend all the way up into Malvern isn't still there. That would have been a good alignment, even if it was cut and cover like between Warden and Kennedy.

I'm not sure by what definition the new LRVs (light rail vehicles) for downtown are not for a light rail network. Ditto for the old LRVs (both the CLRVs and the ALRVs).

I think he meant the Transit City network. And I think the biggest difference is track gauge.

This would mean that Kennedy Station and the SRT would both have to be shut down for an extended period of time and the shuttle busses would have to run from STC to Warden. How long would it take to completely rebuilt Kennedy Station (I do not think they can just pick it up and rotate it 45 degrees)? I imagine the down-time would be similar for this option as for the LRT option - and that was one of the main selling points of the subway option. Now the shutdown would be equally as long but require an even farther shuttle ride to Warden.

When I imagined the SRT being connected to the ECLRT, I saw significant savings in cancelling the Conlins yard and using this area for train storage - the main Maintenance facility would be at Kodak in the West end. Hydro One is not a private company so it should also work towards the greater public good.

STC is the main destination - I doubt it would be seriously considered to eliminate the highest density station – and really the whole reason the subway was proposed in the first place. Again, if the ECLRT is elevated through Scarborough to handle addition capacity, there may be some merit in having one branch of the SRT go straight north to Sheppard and the other branch to follow the planned route through STC to Malvern. Both of these routes, along with the entire length of Eglinton would be grade-separated so consideration could be given to using SkyTrain to reduce the shutdown time from 3 to 1 year.

If you really wanted to get fancy, there would also be an interlined service from Agincourt (at the end of the Sheppard subway) south to the SRT corridor, east through STC to Centennial and then new elevated track for 4km to U of T Scarborough.

View attachment 17352

Now that's what REAL "network planning" looks like!

Fantastic Burl Oak. Love it.

If Toronto is what it is today with the current hydro corridor, how are you going to get power to a city 3 times that size down the road if you remove the excess land the corridors has today and turn it over to transit and traffic??

Since the city as well most other cities don't want to build power plants in them to provide more power for them and not be tie to feeder lines currently feeding power to the city, you need room to add more lines and towers. If they fail or go down, black out like 10 years ago for all or part of Toronto. Also, where is this extra power coming from and how clean is it???

If Kennedy new station was built on an angle in relationship to the tracks between Warden and most of the straight section of the tunnel, you could use the current SRT ROW from Kennedy to Ellesmere, At this point you could split the line with one going north to Steeles and the other following the plan LRT line to Malvin, but will required rebuilding the existing line including the tunnel.

Rebuilding Kennedy station would only see about a 6 months shut down to make the new connection to the exist tunnel just before the current Kennedy station once the station is ready to open.

This will require a lot more money than what on the table as well being asked for.

I still say build the plan LRT and allow for branch lines that were thought about in the 70's and 80's as it will give you the biggest bang for the buck as well offering more service to Scarborough.

Doing an LRT split at Ellesmere has a few issues to do it, but can be overcome.

If Toronto is what it is today with the current hydro corridor, how are you going to get power to a city 3 times that size down the road if you remove the excess land the corridors has today and turn it over to transit and traffic??

This specific place is a little odd. It's a broad area next to a transfer stations. Lines run east/west and north/south but at the transfer station the north/south lines veer a little east, and the east/west lines veer north to connect to the station. This leaves a gap immediately next to the tracks which ought to be enough space for holding 6 trains and a small service building. It would not be suitable for any regular development.

The corridors themselves would not need to be impacted.

Screenshot from 2013-08-30 07:05:16.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2013-08-30 07:05:16.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 326
  • Screenshot from 2013-08-30 07:05:16.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 376
Last edited:
Fantastic Burl Oak. Love it.

If Kennedy new station was built on an angle in relationship to the tracks between Warden and most of the straight section of the tunnel, you could use the current SRT ROW from Kennedy to Ellesmere, At this point you could split the line with one going north to Steeles and the other following the plan LRT line to Malvin, but will required rebuilding the existing line including the tunnel.

I still say build the plan LRT and allow for branch lines that were thought about in the 70's and 80's as it will give you the biggest bang for the buck as well offering more service to Scarborough.

Doing an LRT split at Ellesmere has a few issues to do it, but can be overcome.

Phase 1: I figure elevating Eglinton is pretty much mandatory and the cost would be about $300M to $400M on top of the LRT plan. Add another $300M to extend the SRT to Malvern and not stop one station from the end.

Phase 2: To have a branch of the line continue north parallel to Kennedy, the corridor is not wide enough. 2 tracks would be needed for GO and 2 for the LRT. From Sheppard to Finch it is very residential (single family) so I will assume for now that it would only go up to Sheppard. That is about 2km and the line would have to be elevated, going over Progress and the 401. Lets say another $300M to $400M for this.

Phase 3: To have a line go from Agincourt to U of T Scarborough would require say $200M for an interchange to facilitate the Southbound to Eastbound and Westbound to Northbound movements. It would also require about 4km of elevated track @150M/km to get to U of T ($600M). This line would be about $800M total.

In total, these would add up to $1.8B - probably similar (if you use a high estimate) to the extra required to bring the B-D subway up McCowan to Sheppard. It can also be done in stages so the extra needed now is just the $300M to $400M to elevate the Eglinton LRT, which has immediate benefits and also keeps all options open for the future.

I feel like I read somewhere today that there was some kind of community discussion comparing the two options (LRT vs Subway) planned within the next few weeks. Anyways, for the life of me I can't find any kind of link for this I just feel like I read it somewhere. If anyone can point out a link for it I'd be grateful. Otherwise just consider this message the ravings of a madman hehe :)

I feel like I read somewhere today that there was some kind of community discussion comparing the two options (LRT vs Subway) planned within the next few weeks. Anyways, for the life of me I can't find any kind of link for this I just feel like I read it somewhere. If anyone can point out a link for it I'd be grateful. Otherwise just consider this message the ravings of a madman hehe :)
Can't really help you but someone told me the same thing but I know as much as you do. At least now you know you aren't imagining things.

Back