News   Jul 12, 2024
 801     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 730     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 306     0 

City-TV & OMNI-TV's H.Q. (formerly Torch, Quadrangle)

It looks more like 2nd rending of the building may be true vs the first rending

ughng5.jpg

This still seems more close to what their building compared to the original rending

I can tell you this is definitely not happening. The official rendering released when the move was announced is closer to what will happen.

For one, those picture windows aren't what is being built.

Secondly, the main entrance into the building is on Victoria, where the entrance to the Top of the Torch restaurant entrance was (at the southmost edge of the building on Victoria).

I'm not sure where that rendering came from, but it looks like some preliminary submission. It completely ignores the stage (photoshopped out) and what's with that hologram looking effect?

Further: signage was approved for a ticker to run the entire length of the West side of the building, for a digital screen facing the square (this rendering shows one that would face the side of the HNR building) and a multimedia tower on the torch portion.

This whole debaticle could be avoided if Rogers coughed up their renderings.

As for the wiring timeframe, the former Toronto One station assembled its wiring in less than half the time as this building.

Thanks for the info. regarding potential move-in dates. At least it puts the timeframe in perspective in terms of what to expect.

I can tell you this is definitely not happening. The official rendering released when the move was announced is closer to what will happen.

For one, those picture windows aren't what is being built.

Secondly, the main entrance into the building is on Victoria, where the entrance to the Top of the Torch restaurant entrance was (at the southmost edge of the building on Victoria).

I'm not sure where that rendering came from, but it looks like some preliminary submission. It completely ignores the stage (photoshopped out) and what's with that hologram looking effect?

Further: signage was approved for a ticker to run the entire length of the West side of the building, for a digital screen facing the square (this rendering shows one that would face the side of the HNR building) and a multimedia tower on the torch portion.

I said close...not exact. But the tower(with out the fin) seems more of a logical build than what the first drawing had in mind.

^ I don't think they have renderings...lol If they did, people as close as the girl I'm getting my info from would have seen them.

They have blue-prints of course, but probably never bothered producing a rendering for public consumption after they finalized the design.

1506307102_c1ada4ecf4.jpg

It's perfectly visible along Dundas and almost seems to address Dundas more than Yonge.

I did say Dundas Street East, right? ;)

I think you're thinking about the back of the Torch facing East. We're suggesting a curved screen facing Dundas Square, Westward.

That's why I suggested some sort of baffle (a smaller screen on a wider torch) to prevent any light infiltration east on a curved westward facing sign could work.

I said close...not exact. But the tower(with out the fin) seems more of a logical build than what the first drawing had in mind.

Well, the rendering we first saw was to gain approval for the signage in it represented and the "major iconic multimedia tower" was granted permission for the corner where the torch is.

The rendering at the top of this page wouldn't take advantage of that license. I think we'll end up seeing something close to the video crystal that we saw in the official rendering.

The good news is we won't have to wait much longer to find out. I'm sure it'll begin assembly this summer considering the timeline we have.

^ There was a misunderstanding and it's sorted out. What was not allowed was a curved screen towards Dundas East, not a curved screen per say.

^ For starters, I guess there's Bond Place (a hotel) and other second floor residences. The flashing lights directly into their windows was probably not welcome.

Of course Pantages has to contend with this but they came in after all the lights and fanfare of Dundas Sq. had already been established. Dundas E. residences and businesses probably had a good case against flashing lights directed at them where there were none before.

Last summer Rogers installed a whole mess of giant video screens, ticker screens etc. facing Jarvis Street. There was an uproar because people in the apartments facing that mess were being blasted with flashing lights and in fact it was also an issue for the north facing residents in my building at Wellesley Street. After about 3 weeks everything went dark then some of them came back on last winter, but they reduced the amount of screens plus it looks like they put some kind of filter over top to lessen the amount of light that was being beamed out.

From the CityTV Fall Programming Release:

FORD MODELS SUPERMODEL OF THE WORLD CANADA – A Citytv Original Production

Hosted by Dina Pugliese of Breakfast Television Toronto and Laura Lanktree, Editor of Teenflare.com, the nationwide search for the next face in fashion will air this September on Citytv. Ford Models Supermodel of the World Canada is a four part series including the exciting live broadcast finale from Citytv’s new state-of-the-art production facility in the heart of downtown Toronto. The winner will represent Canada in the global final of FORD Models Supermodel of the World competition.

^ For starters, I guess there's Bond Place (a hotel) and other second floor residences. The flashing lights directly into their windows was probably not welcome.

Of course Pantages has to contend with this but they came in after all the lights and fanfare of Dundas Sq. had already been established. Dundas E. residences and businesses probably had a good case against flashing lights directed at them where there were none before.

Can't hotels or residences tint their windows or draw their curtains at night? Seems to me this is what I've experienced in hotels in NYC. Good grief, if you live or stay near Yonge and Dundas aren't you going to expect to deal with some light pollution?

Can't hotels or residences tint their windows or draw their curtains at night? Seems to me this is what I've experienced in hotels in NYC. Good grief, if you live or stay near Yonge and Dundas aren't you going to expect to deal with some light pollution?

It depends on how bright the lights are. I used to own a north-facing unit in the "flatiron" condo on The Esplanade, and for a while EDS had a really REALLY bright sign on all night. Even with the blinds drawn, it was still like a floodlight was right outside the window pointing in, with enough light making it past the gaps between the individual slats to light up the room. After a month or two of complaints from almost everyone on that side of the building, the light intensity was toned down to a more tolerable level, and the sign itself was shut off at something like 1:00 AM each night.

Back