News   Jul 12, 2024
 825     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 744     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 314     0 

City-TV & OMNI-TV's H.Q. (formerly Torch, Quadrangle)

Drum posted this in the St. Mike's Hospital thread:

IMG_june-11-09-0092.JPG

It looks like they're going for a picture window look. It's framed nicely.

Blueskin insulation going up means one thing: they're wrapping this baby up in cladding soon.

It's odd that they barely touched the East side. They left the grey panels even though they've removed them on the West side of the building. I hope they're just doing this on a priority basis to get the side facing the square finished and then they'll address the East side.

It's actually beginning to look a lot like the official rendering if you compare them side by side:
rogerstelevisioncityren.jpg

Notice the picture window, fritted glazing extending on either end, the main entrance on the South side... hmmm

Last edited:
It's odd that they barely touched the East side. They left the grey panels even though they've removed them on the West side of the building. I hope they're just doing this on a priority basis to get the side facing the square finished and then they'll address the East side.

That was exactly my thought too.

So far, it does not look better, in any significant way, than before. Its still a pile of grey aluminum dung.

Last edited:
^I was thinking the same thing. It's basically the same building as before. I'll reserve judgement until it's done, but so far it doesn't look that impressive.

Hopefully it turns out to be nothing like the rendering, which is awful.

The rendering is indeed awful but I still think the newer look is an improvement. Hopefully the rendering of the tower is just conceptual though because it is in fact worse than the billboard that was there.:(

I think it took to long to re-build so they may have cut out stuff to speed up construction to get Citytv out of 299 Queen St W as quick as they can. I wouldn't be surprised if they moved the whole station in at once.

Hate the VAC monsters

The VAC units on the roof of Torch were already large but the new ones put up by Rogers are huge monsters. At first it looked like they were constructing something to camouflage them but I guess they were only working on the units themselves. Do you think it's possible they will just leave those monster units completely exposed like that? If they do, that's terrible. I thought the ones on TLS were bad enough but these ones are so clearly visible from all parts of Dundas Square. (and in every damn pic I take lol)

Notice how you never see VAC units in renders? They like to keep that as a SURPRISE!!!

I'm very confident that Rogers will do it right. It won't be complete by July 1st, but I believe they'll get the finishing details on the outside done by fall. Hopefully that will eventually include the east facing side of the building.

Last edited:
^ Bad news:

It looks like the grey paneling is here to stay. Notice the wall of grey standing alone above the building. That used to be an ad space. It now has the grey cladding. Parts of that cladding have remained on the building, even on the west side.

The fact that they created new windows on the East and put back the grey cladding was indication that it would stay. Seeing this being done on the West side is confirmation that we'll have a grey, black (and maybe red) building.

The glass is an improvement... both the black opaque glass and the transparent glazing.

The picture window is glazed with a better transparency than what was there, and a frame. This will be the openness to the public component that CityTV is known for.

Now, it seems that the grey cladding will go back on around the frame.

As for the HVAC units, they'll be hidden behind a false wall like the small section that is already there facing West.

A video display is supposed to go in the corner of that wall. I have my fingers crossed that it'll be round to follow the corner gracefully.

As for the Torch portion... the clock is ticking but my source @ Rogers insists that the company wants something iconic and in tune with its branding to go there. Whatever it is, it will have at this point been in fabrication. The existing tower is to be taken down and replaced.

We'll know soon as some critical dates are approaching.

Thanks for the pics dtour! :)

Well they have to start moving soon. With the fight between CTV and Rogers, Citytv isn't really welcome at 299 Queen St West anymore. From the rumors I've hear going around CTV is making sure their not welcome there.

A Photo by dt_toronto_geek taken a few weeks ago confirms that grey is here to stay:

click to zoom

Notice the standalone false wall had no grey panelling. It has now been clad in dtour's photos.

Back