News   Jul 12, 2024
 798     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 725     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 305     0 

City-TV & OMNI-TV's H.Q. (formerly Torch, Quadrangle)

At this point, I would imagine the work would involve new signs, CITY TV memorabilia and office stuff.

They've only recently started the internal wiring infrastructure.

Anyone know why Rogers has been so secretive regarding the final design of the building? You would think they'd want good PR in advance.

What benefit would Rogers gain from good PR here? They aren't selling this building to anyone. A guess regarding the secrecy could be that there won't be much more in the way of enhancements to the exterior, and so they might not have much to trumpet.

I guess Rogers didn't take lessons from Trump in maximizing PR opportunities. :p

"internal wiring infrastructure" just beginning - haven't they been doing wiring since last summer? They can build buildings faster than they have revamped this one. Unbelievable.

I am hoping that the video screens in the Rogers' incarnation will finally end up curved so as to wrap the 'torch' as originally intended. Even though it's not supposed to be a torch now per se the video tower has always been a major element of the building's design, not to mention just about the only interesting one. I would have thought that Rogers would see this as a significant branding opportunity/icon potential for the station.

^Again ... The bylaw doesn't allow for curved video screens. The residents of John Frank Place made sure of it. (well, maybe if they attach a baffle)

Last edited:
^Again ... The bylaw doesn't allow for curved video screens. The residents of John Frank Place made sure of it. (well, maybe if they attach a baffle)

Interesting, I haven't heard about this. Any reason for this? Seems really lame.

There's a curved screen on the SW of Yonge & Richmond. I think I also recall one on King around University.

what about the curved screen on TLS?

Anyone know why Rogers has been so secretive regarding the final design of the building? You would think they'd want good PR in advance.

Tell me about it! I know a girl who works @ Rogers and has been recently involved in the logistics of moving and she doesn't have any idea what the building will look like from the outside.

She knows a rough schedule of the move (CityTV moving first July to September; OMNI: September-October) and where every department will go (CityTV on the first floor of the "Bridge" and OMNI on the second. A radio station studio (Fan590?) will go in the foot of the torch). They'll share a lot of the other common facilities such as the control room in the basement, the weather facilities on the roof and the lobby studio at ground level.

It doesn't seem to be meant to be "Top Secret". It's just that the people who know haven't said much about the exterior.

I've shown her the 2 renderings that have emerged and she says that none of them are what's being done. The one with the big red signage element was only for signage approval purposes. So the only sure thing is that there is going to be a landmark signage element on the corner. She's fairly sure from what has been discussed that the torch is coming down and being replaced with something else.

I wish I could get more info, but I'm pretty sure she's ready to ring my neck from the amount of times I've bugged her for info.

She's fairly sure from what has been discussed that the torch is coming down and being replaced with something else.

I wounder how their going to take it down seeing that the July deadline to get people moving in, and the shear size of the torch itself would at least take a few months to take it down piece by piece.

what about the curved screen on TLS?

Good point! I went all the way to Richmond and King streets for examples and there's one glaring example right in the vicinity.

I think they have something very different and iconic planned though. That crystal shaped "red thing" seems to be made up of different screens that can display images on some of the larger facets and change colours on others.

It's obvious they're working hard inside to get it ready for the move which starts phasing in July through October. We're beginning to see work on the outside but I think the most dramatic changes are yet to come, specially on the Torch structure.

If so, this "media crystal" must be in fabrication right now, and assembled on to the corner at some point between now and September when CityTV is fully moved in.

I wounder how their going to take it down seeing that the July deadline to get people moving in, and the shear size of the torch itself would at least take a few months to take it down piece by piece.

Taking down the torch has little influence on what's going on inside. Business can go on as usual inside.

It's a series of metal square tubes that form a tower, and the grid like structures tha resemble fins are added on to the central tower, assembled in parts. The tower is bolted into the elliptic roof of the torch.

I watched it being assembled. It'll take no more than a crane truck and some barriers and cops to keep people away from the staging area. Taking it apart should take no more than the week it took to put up.

Putting up the new structure, that's sure to be pre-fabricated and assembled on site shouldn't take long either.

What about it?

It broadcasts down Yonge; not Dundas Street East.

1506307102_c1ada4ecf4.jpg

It's perfectly visible along Dundas and almost seems to address Dundas more than Yonge.

I think you're thinking about the back of the Torch facing East. We're suggesting a curved screen facing Dundas Square, Westward.

Back