News   Aug 08, 2024
 241     0 
News   Aug 07, 2024
 1.6K     1 
News   Aug 07, 2024
 1K     0 

2022/24 Russian-Ukrainian War

I really don't need how it can be done without Germany getting onboard to both, provide re-export permission and technical support.
I agree. That’s what must happen, and I‘m flummoxed as to what’s holding up the Germans. It’s not like Ukraine has to necessarily take Germany’s tanks. They just need German support of other countries‘ Leo2s to Ukraine.

Stalingrad 2.0. Only this time the Russians are losers.

This reminds me alot of Hitler and WW2.

They tried Operation Barbarossa and Operation Sea Lion thinking both Russia and Britain would capitulate. They didn't.

He tried to control the military and in both cases it went badly. In both cases, it turned the tide of the war.

My point is that I think Putin is headed for a similar fate. Putin may have been a decent enough spy for the KGB but that doesn't mean anything when planning strategy for troops.

Leave the strategy to the generals, the soldiers and those on the ground. Soldiers know best how to react, not a politician with an agenda.

My point is that I think Putin is headed for a similar fate

You're not the only one saying this.

Dr. Mike Martin from King's College:

Shashank Joshi from the Economist:

Prof. Olga Chyzh from U of T:

From Guardian: https://www.theguardian.com/world/l...-moscow-holds-referendums-in-parts-of-ukraine

Russian officials said 300,000 troops are needed, with priority given to people with recent military experience and vital skills.

The Kremlin has denied reports by two Russian news outlets based abroad - Novaya Gazeta Europe and Meduza - that the real target is more than 1 million.

Reports have surfaced across Russia of men with no military experience or past draft age suddenly receiving call-up papers, Reuters reports.

On Saturday the head of the Kremlin’s Human Rights Council, Valery Fadeyev, publicly announced that he had written to Defence Minister Sergei Shoigu with a request to “urgently resolve” problems of the mobilisation.

His 400-word Telegram posting criticised the way exemptions were applied and listed several cases of inappropriate enlistment including nurses and midwives with no military experience.

“Some (recruiters) hand over the call-up papers at 2 a.m., as if they think we’re all draft dodgers,” he said.

AND

The pro-Kremlin editor of Russia’s state-run RT news channel expressed anger that enlistment officers were sending call-up papers to the wrong men, as frustration at the recent military mobilisation grew across Russia.

Wednesday’s announcement of Russia’s first public mobilisation since the second world war, to shore up its faltering invasion of Ukraine, has triggered a rush for the border by eligible men, the arrests of more than 1,000 protesters, and unease among the wider population, Reuters reports.

“It has been announced that privates can be recruited up to the age of 35. Summonses are going to 40-year-olds,” the RT editor-in-chief, Margarita Simonyan, railed on her Telegram channel.

“They’re infuriating people, as if on purpose, as if out of spite. As if they’d been sent by Kyiv.”

This article should help explain why even the extra manpower won't help win back territory for Russia.

This article should help explain why even the extra manpower won't help win back territory for Russia.

I suppose that can be addressed in the short term by confiscating civilian trucks across Russia’s industrialized west. In short time this hodgepodge of makes and vintages will be impossible to maintain.

If Germany can provide Gepards, with their logistical, spares availability and maintenance challenges, why not Leopards?

Back