News   Aug 08, 2024
 255     0 
News   Aug 08, 2024
 338     0 
News   Aug 07, 2024
 1.9K     2 

2022/24 Russian-Ukrainian War

With the upcoming winter and lack of proper equipment, I wonder how Russian "troops" will survive the winter.

I suspect we will either see a mass defection to avoid freezing to death or just that... freezing to death.

Nobody can count on mass defection. We haven't seen it yet. Maybe small scale surrenders here and there.

Nobody can count on mass defection. We haven't seen it yet. Maybe small scale surrenders here and there.

True but given the choice between freezing their Russian asses off or defecting to a nice warm base in Ukraine..

If that was you, what would you choose?

True but given the choice between freezing their Russian asses off or defecting to a nice warm base in Ukraine..

If that was you, what would you choose?
If it was me, I would have left the country in March after it was clear this thing was going to go pear shaped. Or I would have picked prison over getting on the bus. These people are basically limited autonomy folks who follow orders. So the likelihood that they'll just stay there till they die is higher than you'd think.

I hear that unauthorized surrenders will be met with 15 years of jail time back in the motherland.

The Economist has an article on the capture of the Russian T90-M tank. Here is part of it:

"The t-90m is not invulnerable: Ukrainian forces have already destroyed one. But capturing one is far more useful. Being able to disassemble and analyse a top-of-the-range Russian tank will make it easier to defeat more t90-ms in future. As well as its high-tech defences, the captured tank has the latest Russian offensive weaponry, including a computerised fire-control system and a gun capable of firing guided projectiles. The captured t-90m specimen will give military analysts a chance to assess Russia’s claims about these capabilities. And as the war in Ukraine grinds on, the intelligence bonanza will continue. The West has already gained access to a variety of Russian radar, intelligence gathering and command vehicles with their valuable secrets. Fleeing Russian soldiers ought to be more careful about what they leave behind."

I hear that unauthorized surrenders will be met with 15 years of jail time back in the motherland.
I'd take my chances if I were in their shoes. Putin definitely isn't going to be around in 15 years.

Also, they absolutely don't seem to understand how to protest. The only way to win against Putin is to absolutely fill up the the jails or to resort to violence. There needs to be maximum disruption. They go out and protest and let individuals get picked off.

You want to see how to fight back? Watch what is happening in Dagestan. They are beating up cops, puncturing tires of military vehicles and threatening armed revolt. Dagestan will be magically deemed to have met their quota in a few days, with hardly anybody drafted in reality.

Genuinely curious.

Coincidence would seem unlikely; but gas you can't sell, or sell at full price is not really in Russia's interest at the moment.

Of course, said nation has not necessarily been taking actions in its own interests for some time.

It's a signal aimed at other energy infrastructure in the region. The equivalent of shooting at your own satellites to demonstrate that you can do it to those that aren't yours.

AoD

It's a signal aimed at other energy infrastructure in the region. The equivalent of shooting at your own satellites to demonstrate that you can do it to those that aren't yours.

AoD

Not just energy infrastructure.....

"Hey nice container ship and undersea cables you have there..... Would be a shame if something happened to them."

Back