114     0 
News   Aug 07, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Aug 07, 2024
 1K     0 

2022/24 Russian-Ukrainian War

I don't disagree.........

But

Will the media in Quebec or Canada latch on to this in light of the controversy over Quebec's bill limiting overtly religious attire?

The same thing? Of course not. But there is a relationship of some kind.........in Canada, the law may be advocated for by those who genuinely value secularism, but every bit as likely those who are
bigoted.

But the world again has a way of showing these arguments are rarely as simple as any hardliner as it were would wish to make them.
Unfortunately, the religious attire question is complicated by the fact that for some it is a matter of religious expression, while for others (perhaps most) it is a form of oppression imposed on individuals by their community.

Just to be clear on something, NATO will not be getting directly involved in Ukraine no matter what Russia throws at them unless one of two things happens, Russia uses WMDs in Ukraine, or Russia attacks Western arms supply lines outside of Ukraine.

There are no other instances in which NATO gets involved in this conflict, none.

Just to be clear on something, NATO will not be getting directly involved in Ukraine no matter what Russia throws at them unless one of two things happens, Russia uses WMDs in Ukraine, or Russia attacks Western arms supply lines outside of Ukraine.

There are no other instances in which NATO gets involved in this conflict, none.
Unfortunately, I can see Russia using chemical weapons in Ukraine, similar to what was done in Syrian.

This, from today's Economist newsletter, seems well expressed:

"Time is not on Mr Putin’s side. The reservists he is calling up do not need to be taught to shoot straight, but they need training to deal with new kit and local conditions. If deployed too soon, they will die in droves. They could be slotted into existing, depleted units to restore their strength. That would make it easier for Russia to defend its lines, though probably not to mount new offensives. It does not have enough weapons for a larger invasion force, not least because so many of its soldiers abandoned their guns and tanks when they fled recent Ukrainian advances. Realistically, it will be months before Mr Putin’s “partial mobilisation” makes a big difference in the field.

That gives Ukraine a window of opportunity. Its Western backers should step up the supply of arms, including longer-range missiles. The best nato weapons must not be used to attack Russia itself, but the parts of Ukraine that Russia is about to annex illegally should not be off-limits. The West should also train more Ukrainian soldiers. The country has plenty of highly motivated would-be defenders, but so far only Britain is offering basic training to large numbers. Other nato members should immediately pitch in, perhaps dividing the labour so that one ally focuses on air defence, another on artillery and so forth. The more of its land Ukraine can claw back before Russian reinforcements arrive, the stronger its position will be.

When Mr Putin invaded Ukraine, he thought it would fold. It did not. Now he hopes that its Western backers, lacking the heart for a long struggle, will cut arms shipments and press Ukraine to sue for peace. They must not. Mr Putin is trying to show strength because he is weakened and the Russian people are beginning to sense it. Ukraine must maintain the momentum on the battlefield. Peace will come when Russian citizens understand that Mr Putin is losing and cannot win."

Mostly agree. But if we see enough destruction of infrastructure that Europe is flooded with refugees, we might see intervention. Retired Adm. Stavridis identified this as a possible casus belli for some NATO partners, on a podcast I was listening to recently. I don't think Poland, UK and US will standby and let Putin turn all of Ukraine into Grozny. There's a limit.

Giving people who you have pissed off weapons (if not heavy weapons). What could go wrong??

AoD

I was thinking this very thing.

It struck me as such a..............."Why would you do that?"

But ya know, maybe w/any luck its catchy and Iranians will start handing out guns to the protesters.

:D

Giving people who you have pissed off weapons (if not heavy weapons). What could go wrong??

AoD

Truthfully though, they aren't giving these guys any real ammo till they are in Ukraine. Wonder if they'll even be taught how to shoot.

They must know their history and what happened the last time the czar had a bunch of conscripts being sent to a meat grinder of a war pass through Moscow.

Truthfully though, they aren't giving these guys any real ammo till they are in Ukraine. Wonder if they'll even be taught how to shoot.

They must know their history and what happened the last time the czar had a bunch of conscripts being sent to a meat grinder of a war pass through Moscow.

They don't even have to fight - I am sure passive resistance, sabotage and willful and unwilful passing of intelligence are other avenues of opportunities. So not only will they not be great at fighting - you'd have to devote additional resources to monitor them. Sounds super efficient.

AoD

Yep. They already have high rates of "refuseniks". They have plenty of desertion and surrender. And they are going to add more unmotivated people to this mix? This is going to be interesting.

I was thinking this very thing.

It struck me as such a..............."Why would you do that?"

But ya know, maybe w/any luck its catchy and Iranians will start handing out guns to the protesters.

:D
I'm guessing they will be put over the top with minimal equipment to make the ultimate sacrifice for the motherland.

Though I am certainly not suggesting this but it is a bit surprising that nobody has pointed out that if European borders are 'flexible' then a case can be made for Russia to return territory to Finland and certainly the Russian enclave at Kaliningrad is at risk. The Dutch are also suggesting (jokingly!)

1663850359380.png

Back