News   Oct 08, 2024
 33     0 
News   Oct 07, 2024
 1.2K     3 
News   Oct 07, 2024
 2.1K     3 

2018 Ontario Provincial Election Discussion

To me this is a non-story. If you share your private and social activities and interests online while directly linking that info to your actual name and providing the names of your friends, family and acquaintances, then of course it’s available to the public and corporations to do with as they wish. Note that no one has been criminally charged in this matter, there is no crime. There is no violation of privacy if the target has already put the wanted personal info into the public realm.

And besides, all this did was change the ads and free “news” you might have seen if you didn’t already have the sense to activate Adblock on FB. Ads should always be questioned, and free news, unverified by the reader, is worth what you paid for it.

Last edited:
To me this is a non-story. If you share your private and social activities and interests online while directly linking that info to your actual name and providing the names of your friends, family and acquaintances, then of course it’s available to the public and corporations to do with as they wish. Note that no one has been criminally charged in this matter, there is no crime. There is no violation of privacy if the target has already put the wanted personal info into the public realm.

And besides, all this did was change the ads and free “news” you might have seen if you didn’t already have the sense to activate Adblock on FB. Ads should always be questioned, and free news, unverified by the reader, is worth what you paid for it.
Your response makes it clear you haven't read/absorbed what actually happened.

Control the message, hide the candidate: Ontario PC Leader Doug Ford won’t have media bus on campaign trail.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4124780/doug-ford-media-bus-campaign-trail/

This is strange. One big reason why Mike Harris won the 1995 election was because he had a very media-friendly campaign. Lots of visuals at every campaign stop and plenty of soundbites. Guaranteed to get voters' attention. The Liberals under Lynn McLeod, who probably should have won in 1995, ran a very boring and uninspired campaign.

Your response makes it clear you haven't read/absorbed what actually happened.
No, I've read what happened. But there's no crime, here's a visual to help you. Show me where anyone's private data was stolen? Where is the cime?

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-poli...16/facebook-cambridge-analytica-trump-diagram

4.png

This is strange. One big reason why Mike Harris won the 1995 election was because he had a very media-friendly campaign. Lots of visuals at every campaign stop and plenty of soundbites. Guaranteed to get voters' attention. The Liberals under Lynn McLeod, who probably should have won in 1995, ran a very boring and uninspired campaign.
The Conservatives clearly believe that their curated photo and video feeds will look friendlier.

That skips a few steps
As I dislike a threadjacking as much as most, let's bring this back on topic.

What can we take from the above and apply to the Ontario election? Are we worried that evil Cons will hire a firm to reap the personal and network details we all voluntarily surrender to the public domain on FB to target ads and fake/biased news at us? The only possible crime I can think of its undeclared election spending or campaign donations, but there's nothing legal stopping private firms or persons from funding such activity.

"Facebook made me do it" is not a great excuse for your voting decision.

As I dislike a threadjacking as much as most, let's bring this back on topic.

What can we take from the above and apply to the Ontario election? Are we worried that evil Cons will hire a firm to reap the personal and network details we all voluntarily surrender to the public domain on FB to target ads and fake/biased news at us? The only possible crime I can think of its undeclared election spending or campaign donations, but there's nothing legal stopping private firms or persons from funding such activity.

"Facebook made me do it" is not a great excuse for your voting decision.
Social media makes it cheap and easy to target specific populations with specific messaging and little oversight. Any of the parties can use their followers to spread misinformation in a highly coordinated manner. A lot of it is illegal, and even where it isn't it's highly unethical.

Did you know Kathleen Wynne is about to impose a Chinese Head Tax on new immigrants? She's also going to add a $100 carbon tax per cylinder on your vehicle registration and ban Sunday schools from teaching the birth of Jesus. Pass this on to your friends so we can stop this monster from destroying our province.

Did you know Kathleen Wynne is about to impose a Chinese Head Tax on new immigrants? She's also going to add a $100 carbon tax per cylinder on your vehicle registration and ban Sunday schools from teaching the birth of Jesus. Pass this on to your friends so we can stop this monster from destroying our province.
Even if I'm exposing myself to possible civil action for slander, nothing in the above is illegal.

Just because you read it, doesn't make it true. There above should trigger only one of two responses; first, disregard; or, fact checking through looking at investigative journalism, or just ask the candidate/campaign.

There is no crime. And ethics? What's that got to do with campaigning and elections? Wynne knew that Hudak was going to reduce the civil service by attrition alone, but that didn't stop her supporters from spreading misinformation that a massive firing was coming.

"My opponent is unfit" for made up reasons has always been a tool. FB just makes it easier because we're now willing participants.

Even if I'm exposing myself to possible civil action for slander, nothing in the above is illegal.

Just because you read it, doesn't make it true. There above should trigger only one of two responses; first, disregard; or, fact checking through looking at investigative journalism, or just ask the candidate/campaign.

There is no crime. And ethics? What's that got to do with campaigning and elections? Wynne knew that Hudak was going to reduce the civil service by attrition alone, but that didn't stop her supporters from spreading misinformation that a massive firing was coming.

"My opponent is unfit" for made up reasons has always been a tool. FB just makes it easier because we're now willing participants.
Ok. You be you.

How is what they did any different then the way this very website we post on targets ads towards us?

I always get ads on UT for things I recently searched for.

Back