News   Jan 28, 2021
 127     1 
News   Jan 28, 2021
 299     0 
News   Jan 28, 2021
 598     2 

2018 Municipal Election: Toronto Council Races

How many non-incumbent winners will there be on council?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mjl08

Member Bio
Reaction score
I still have a sneaking suspicion that once the 25 ward revision is (likely) held up, that Peter Milczyn throws his hat in the race in Etobicoke-Lakeshore. Interestingly, his twitter banner has not changed since the provincial election.

EagleEye

Member Bio
Reaction score
There really is not a good candidate the replace the two. I know Sharif Ahmed but he really is not capable of being a councilor. The rest are fringe candidates.

It would be interesting to see if they split the vote and someone else wins.

Gerard Arbour is quite well known along the Kingston Road strip. He's had a chiropractic office for 25 years or so and has been involved in a lot of community projects.

DSC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
I'm really concerned that Mike Colle and Jennifer Arp, two card carrying Liberals, will split the vote and let Carmichael Greb sneak out a win, yet again.

There's a real sense of entitlement with Colle running. He's 73... why squash your son's political ambitions? He has held office municipally and provincially for a total of 36 years! Move on!
While I agree that we need new blood I think it's a bit strong to talk about Mike "squashing' the political ambitions of Josh. Josh is a big boy and if he still wanted to run I bet he would have' I heard him being interviewed and saying 'I want more family time" - presumably NOT with his father! The thought of Greb creeping back in is depressing!

DSC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
From Star: https://www.thestar.com/news/city_h...-of-missed-votes-at-toronto-city-council.html

For the second year in a row, Councillor Giorgio Mammoliti missed nearly half of all votes taken at Toronto city council.

Mammoliti was absent for 48.7 per cent of 1,048 votes taken in the chamber in 2018, a Star analysis of council’s voting record shows. And Michelle Holland again ranked near the top of the list for worst attendance. Missing 42.1 per cent of the votes, she came in second for worst attendance.

toaster29

Member Bio
Reaction score
I still have a sneaking suspicion that once the 25 ward revision is (likely) held up, that Peter Milczyn throws his hat in the race in Etobicoke-Lakeshore. Interestingly, his twitter banner has not changed since the provincial election.

The leading Liberal (and overall progressive) candidate seems to be current TDSB trustee Pamela Gough. It's a little late now, and if he entered he would allow Grimes to come up the middle and win.

Soop

Member Bio
Reaction score
And Stephen Holyday had the best attendance. I don't agree with him (and his strange fascination with cutting down trees) most of the time, but have to appreciate that he's actually showing up.

mjl08

Member Bio
Reaction score
Matlow vs. Mihevc is official.

So far, Scarborough Southwest has the most nominations, at 11, followed by Spadina-Fort York, Beaches East York, and Willowdale, at 10.

1:20 pm edit: Scratch that, make that '11' for Willowdale. John Filion has come out of retirement, because this election season wasn't crazy enough.

Last edited:

ShonTron

Member Bio
Reaction score
The leading Liberal (and overall progressive) candidate seems to be current TDSB trustee Pamela Gough. It's a little late now, and if he entered he would allow Grimes to come up the middle and win.

Mark Grimes is technically a Liberal - one of the three Liberal slimes representing Etobicoke-Lakeshore.

Yes, Gough and Milczyn are Liberals too, but antagonistic to Grimes/Di Ciano/Maloney.

to_l

Member Bio
Reaction score
Smitherman is running for council as an independent. I ran into him while he canvassing in Cabbagetown on the long weekend.

DSC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Smitherman is running for council as an independent. I ran into him while he canvassing in Cabbagetown on the long weekend.
Well, he is nominated for the 47-Ward model (as are many people) but he is not (yet at least) nominated for the 25 Ward one. Until the Court decision is released (Monday?) and nominations close on 14th, it is premature to know who is running. There are lots of 47-Ward candidates who will not run if it's the 25 Ward model as the role of a Councillor will change so radically (and it will be far harder for a 'new face' to get elected.)

mjl08

Member Bio
Reaction score
Well, he is nominated for the 47-Ward model (as are many people) but he is not (yet at least) nominated for the 25 Ward one. Until the Court decision is released (Monday?) and nominations close on 14th, it is premature to know who is running. There are lots of 47-Ward candidates who will not run if it's the 25 Ward model as the role of a Councillor will change so radically (and it will be far harder for a 'new face' to get elected.)

Assuming KWT runs in Toronto Centre, I can't see Smitherman winning.

Meanwhile, east of the Don River all indications are that Paula Fletcher is running in the new Toronto Danforth riding. I don't know what that means for long time ally and friend Mary Fragedakis, who is running a much quieter early campaign.

Last edited:

Palma

Member Bio
Reaction score
Harder?

311 is what residents should be calling for things related to garbage/recycling/compost/pot holes and I am sure there are more things. The thingis that councillors want you to contact their office so you will remember them come election time that they helped you. The notion that each councillor has to represent more residents so twice the about of work is wrong due to 311 being staffed 24/7. I only contacted my councillors office once in 1o years - regarding a development as I wanted to know if there was going to be a community meeting - of course instead of the councillor setting up a community meeting ahead of time (before any developers are involved) to see what the community wants, he waits till the a developer buys the parcel of land.

Councillors really should be focusing on the bigger picture in the City. if it was such a tough job why are there councillors in their 60's or 70's still there?