News   Dec 13, 2019
 880     12 
News   Dec 13, 2019
 1.3K     3 
News   Dec 13, 2019
 670     1 

2018 Municipal Election: Toronto Council Races

How many non-incumbent winners will there be on council?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

adma

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
What I do hope is that the man is barred from running from future municipal elections, what he did was improper and makes me wonder if he didnt disclose expenses properly for other municipal elections as well. At this rate, barring him from running for future elections is probably the only way this man will ever get out of office since many constituents have some kind of fad with electing him.
Though Grimes has already been in office for 15 years, so it's not like he wouldn't opt to retire instead. And re "some kind of fad", well...he's an incumbent. And you know how hard it is to dislodge incumbents unless there's some really pressing motivation to do so out there.

In fact, under the circumstance I'd say Amber Morley did a good job in electorally pressing him out of left field. (Hey, it was narrower than Colle vs CCG)

Thorns_Embrace

Member Bio
Reaction score
Though Grimes has already been in office for 15 years, so it's not like he wouldn't opt to retire instead. And re "some kind of fad", well...he's an incumbent. And you know how hard it is to dislodge incumbents unless there's some really pressing motivation to do so out there.

In fact, under the circumstance I'd say Amber Morley did a good job in electorally pressing him out of left field. (Hey, it was narrower than Colle vs CCG)
Amber Morely is a weird case. Off the bat she seems like she should have been an also ran but got endorsed by progress Toronto and The Toronto and York Region labour council. She got an ok percentage of votes but in my opinion Pamela Gough should have been a better candidate to rally around, though once Tory got involved I think the race was over.

Also I find the Justin Di Ciano voted the correct way on many issues, he was a really shady guy. I never bought the family excuse for not running in the election. Also Grimes is as well to be honest, but grimes used to be more respected in the past. He was endorsed by the Toronto star in 2010.

ShonTron

Member Bio
Reaction score
Well, it's Friday (though not St. Paddy's Day), so maybe they could raise a toast and get slurry at The Old Sod to drown their legal woes.
https://www.dailyxtra.com/city-councillor-gets-belligerent-on-st-paddys-day-7896
And there’s James Maloney, before he became Liberal MP in Etobicoke Lakeshore. The three of them (Grimey, Di Dunpar and Maloney) are thick as thieves. Maloney even tried to get Metrolinx to back off their OMB appeal of the Judson Street development the two councillors were backing.

adma

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Amber Morely is a weird case. Off the bat she seems like she should have been an also ran but got endorsed by progress Toronto and The Toronto and York Region labour council. She got an ok percentage of votes but in my opinion Pamela Gough should have been a better candidate to rally around, though once Tory got involved I think the race was over.

Also I find the Justin Di Ciano voted the correct way on many issues, he was a really shady guy. I never bought the family excuse for not running in the election. Also Grimes is as well to be honest, but grimes used to be more respected in the past. He was endorsed by the Toronto star in 2010.
Even at his best, Grimes was "meh", getting by mostly on a hockey-dad aw-shucks persona. And a Star endorsement would probably hinge upon relative inoffensiveness + unspectacular opposition.

Gough was the likely frontrunner to replace Di Ciano under the old ward model, but never really gained traction beyond her Kingsway/Sunnylea fiefdom (anecdotally, it didn't help that the lettering on her signs was too small). Morley did exceptionally well in Mimico/New Toronto, echoing to some degree the provincial success of Phil Trotter--perhaps, after a quarter-century post-industrial sinking slumber, there's promise once again for NDP-style progressivism in S Etobicoke (albeit now more like a Parkdale-High Park dynamic jumping the Humber)

Come to think of it, Gough vs Morley municipally played out a little like Milczyn vs Trotter provincially.

ShonTron

Member Bio
Reaction score
Is the only politician with any credibility or integrity in Etobicoke, Peter Milczyn?
John Campbell is much more conservative than I like, but he has integrity. It's not saying a lot, but it's the best Etobicoke had once Milczyn left council. You could tell he at least had some nuance and was at times thoughtful. It's a shame Holyday defeated him.

ShonTron

Member Bio
Reaction score
I added a map for Ward 8 - St. Paul's John Tory's robocalls for Mihevc didn't help much (unlike Bradford or Grimey). Old Ward 22 came out strong for Matlow, and it had more electors than the part of Ward 21 that was merged into the new ward.

I really liked Mihevc, but Matlow is the stronger politician. And at least he'll make Tory's second term a little more difficult.

WislaHD

Member Bio
Reaction score
I added a map for Ward 8 - St. Paul's John Tory's robocalls for Mihevc didn't help much (unlike Bradford or Grimey). Old Ward 22 came out strong for Matlow, and it had more electors than the part of Ward 21 that was merged into the new ward.

I really liked Mihevc, but Matlow is the stronger politician. And at least he'll make Tory's second term a little more difficult.
I have the feeling that Ward 21's Jewish population also went for Matlow, despite Mihevc being their representative for many years.

adma

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
I have the feeling that Ward 21's Jewish population also went for Matlow, despite Mihevc being their representative for many years.
My feeling is that affluence (i.e. generic disinclination t/w NDP politics) defined the Matlow tilt more than "Jewishness"--Mihevc's weakest spots in his former ward were *always* weak or at best vote-parked spots for him. And in fact, the John Tory endorsement might have giveth what affluence taketh away, at least within Matlow's former ward where Matlow's narrowest margins happened to be in Forest Hill and nodes of affluence like the Granite Club condos...

ShonTron

Member Bio
Reaction score