News   Apr 16, 2024
 201     0 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 563     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 1.4K     0 

2018 Municipal Election: Toronto Council Races

How many non-incumbent winners will there be on council?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
From Star: https://www.thestar.com/news/city_h...-of-missed-votes-at-toronto-city-council.html

For the second year in a row, Councillor Giorgio Mammoliti missed nearly half of all votes taken at Toronto city council.

Mammoliti was absent for 48.7 per cent of 1,048 votes taken in the chamber in 2018, a Star analysis of council’s voting record shows. And Michelle Holland again ranked near the top of the list for worst attendance. Missing 42.1 per cent of the votes, she came in second for worst attendance.

I still have a sneaking suspicion that once the 25 ward revision is (likely) held up, that Peter Milczyn throws his hat in the race in Etobicoke-Lakeshore. Interestingly, his twitter banner has not changed since the provincial election.

The leading Liberal (and overall progressive) candidate seems to be current TDSB trustee Pamela Gough. It's a little late now, and if he entered he would allow Grimes to come up the middle and win.

And Stephen Holyday had the best attendance. I don't agree with him (and his strange fascination with cutting down trees) most of the time, but have to appreciate that he's actually showing up.

Matlow vs. Mihevc is official.

So far, Scarborough Southwest has the most nominations, at 11, followed by Spadina-Fort York, Beaches East York, and Willowdale, at 10.

1:20 pm edit: Scratch that, make that '11' for Willowdale. John Filion has come out of retirement, because this election season wasn't crazy enough.

Last edited:
The leading Liberal (and overall progressive) candidate seems to be current TDSB trustee Pamela Gough. It's a little late now, and if he entered he would allow Grimes to come up the middle and win.

Mark Grimes is technically a Liberal - one of the three Liberal slimes representing Etobicoke-Lakeshore.

Yes, Gough and Milczyn are Liberals too, but antagonistic to Grimes/Di Ciano/Maloney.

Smitherman is running for council as an independent. I ran into him while he canvassing in Cabbagetown on the long weekend.

Smitherman is running for council as an independent. I ran into him while he canvassing in Cabbagetown on the long weekend.
Well, he is nominated for the 47-Ward model (as are many people) but he is not (yet at least) nominated for the 25 Ward one. Until the Court decision is released (Monday?) and nominations close on 14th, it is premature to know who is running. There are lots of 47-Ward candidates who will not run if it's the 25 Ward model as the role of a Councillor will change so radically (and it will be far harder for a 'new face' to get elected.)

Well, he is nominated for the 47-Ward model (as are many people) but he is not (yet at least) nominated for the 25 Ward one. Until the Court decision is released (Monday?) and nominations close on 14th, it is premature to know who is running. There are lots of 47-Ward candidates who will not run if it's the 25 Ward model as the role of a Councillor will change so radically (and it will be far harder for a 'new face' to get elected.)

Assuming KWT runs in Toronto Centre, I can't see Smitherman winning.

Meanwhile, east of the Don River all indications are that Paula Fletcher is running in the new Toronto Danforth riding. I don't know what that means for long time ally and friend Mary Fragedakis, who is running a much quieter early campaign.

Last edited:
Harder?

311 is what residents should be calling for things related to garbage/recycling/compost/pot holes and I am sure there are more things. The thingis that councillors want you to contact their office so you will remember them come election time that they helped you. The notion that each councillor has to represent more residents so twice the about of work is wrong due to 311 being staffed 24/7. I only contacted my councillors office once in 1o years - regarding a development as I wanted to know if there was going to be a community meeting - of course instead of the councillor setting up a community meeting ahead of time (before any developers are involved) to see what the community wants, he waits till the a developer buys the parcel of land.

Councillors really should be focusing on the bigger picture in the City. if it was such a tough job why are there councillors in their 60's or 70's still there?

Harder?

311 is what residents should be calling for things related to garbage/recycling/compost/pot holes and I am sure there are more things. The thingis that councillors want you to contact their office so you will remember them come election time that they helped you. The notion that each councillor has to represent more residents so twice the about of work is wrong due to 311 being staffed 24/7. I only contacted my councillors office once in 1o years - regarding a development as I wanted to know if there was going to be a community meeting - of course instead of the councillor setting up a community meeting ahead of time (before any developers are involved) to see what the community wants, he waits till the a developer buys the parcel of land.

Councillors really should be focusing on the bigger picture in the City. if it was such a tough job why are there councillors in their 60's or 70's still there?
"The thing is that councillors want you to contact their office so you will remember them come election time that they helped you".

+100

Exactly correct, but ironic that Rob Ford, and Doug to a lesser degree, made their mark with this type of strategy of acting as an intermediary with 311.

"The thing is that councillors want you to contact their office so you will remember them come election time that they helped you".

Exactly correct, but ironic that Rob Ford, and Doug to a lesser degree, made their mark with this type of strategy of acting as an intermediary with 311.

Of course, there are many different ways that a City can be 'organised" and having 15, 25, 47 or 60 Councillors is a matter of choice and discussion. If one has fewer Councillors they will need to (or certainly should) concentrate on 'big picture' items and rely on their (larger) staff and city bureaucrats for the smaller things like pot holes, parking and trees. I have no problem with that approach but it is only part of a whole 'puzzle' and should not be done in isolation. The problem with the current Doug Ford scenario is that we appear to be heading towards a much smaller Council but have made absolutely NO preparations for how to re-apportion the work and restructure the committee structure.

I agree that basically making it impossible for a Councillor to have time to deal with the kinds of 'retail politics" that Rob Ford practiced is somewhat odd coming from Doug! It would have been far better if Bill 5 had established the 25 Wards for 2022 and given Council 4 years to work out how to make it work.

Harder?

Well you've just made the argument for *all* municipalities in Ontario to 'downsize'...leaving many with no reps whatsoever.

Or is Toronto somehow magically different from the rest? Oh I get it! Toronto must be *punished* because they offended Magnificent Leader...

Back