News   Jul 19, 2024
 346     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 1.6K     4 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 628     1 

2014 Municipal Election: Toronto Transit Plans

As indicated above, this is not true.
It is true. There's been no change in the underground section between Mount Dennis and Laird since 2009.

It was to go on street through Black Creek Drive before.
It was, however now it's above ground. A very short distance of a few metres at Mount Dennis station itself is now underground, instead of at grade - but that's separated from the long tunnelled section between the portals west of Keele and east of Laird by an at-grade and above-ground segment.

You can defend the wife-beating racist as much as you want, he's still entirely wrong that he had anything to do with the 10-km segment currently being tunnelled, being put underground.

I could count the number of people who would use that line on a single hand.

Okay, not really. But ridership would be abysmally low.

In fairness, there are a lot of transit dependent low income people and families in northwest Toronto, so ridership would be higher. But not enough to tunnel underground.

Just a thought, since we are all just framing lines on a map: Build a line in the Finch hydro corridor across Toronto, including a spur down the 404 to connect with Sheppard.

Electrify:

Slight problem - Hydro One has hardened their position against colocation with transportation infrastructure - see the whole Kipling Station bus terminal fiasco.

AoD

During the debate today, Tory said he supports the DRL subway as well as LRTs on Finch in addition to SmartTrack.

In my opinion Tory won the debate hands down. He really destroyed Ford.

[video=youtube;XdFnVs3_C_Q]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdFnVs3_C_Q[/video]

During the debate today, Tory said he supports the DRL subway as well as LRTs on Finch in addition to SmartTrack.
LOL. Tory will agree to anything that sounds sensible to him. He's going to be a real push-over for city staff and council.

LOL. Tory will agree to anything that sounds sensible to him. He's going to be a real push-over for city staff and council.

Allowing Metrolinx to go ahead and build transit lines that are already planned in the Big Move seems pretty sensible to me.

It is true. There's been no change in the underground section between Mount Dennis and Laird since 2009.

It was, however now it's above ground. A very short distance of a few metres at Mount Dennis station itself is now underground, instead of at grade - but that's separated from the long tunnelled section between the portals west of Keele and east of Laird by an at-grade and above-ground segment.

You can defend the wife-beating racist as much as you want, he's still entirely wrong that he had anything to do with the 10-km segment currently being tunnelled, being put underground.
You're talking out of both side of your mouth here man. You say it has not changed but you admit it has changed.

Allowing Metrolinx to go ahead and build transit lines that are already planned in the Big Move seems pretty sensible to me.

Tory governs by the polls. He didn't support the LRT's before. He wants to win. Chow does not, is what I got from that.

You're talking out of both side of your mouth here man. You say it has not changed but you admit it has changed.

Sigh... really Den? The point was that Ford is not responsible for Eglinton having a 10km tunnel as he claims.

Do you or anyone actually dispute that the original plan for Eglinton was partly underground? Do you really dispute that Ford claiming that he is the reason Eglinton has a 10km tunnel is a blatant lie? The original EA is available on thecrosstown.ca, which anyone can look at and see.

The fact that a short section at Mt Dennis was modified later to be grade separated/elevated to the maintenance facility is completely beside the point.

Tory governs by the polls. He didn't support the LRT's before. He wants to win. Chow does not, is what I got from that.

He never said he was against the LRTs. You can argue that he implied it, is lying etc etc, but it is a fact that he never explicitly said he was against LRT. It is a fact.

This is a fact: a quote from the Toronto Star from Tory:
http://www.thestar.com/news/city_ha...ard_lrts_are_election_hot_potatoes_again.html

“I want the LRTs to proceed,” he said. “I will move them forward. I have no problem with them proceeding.”

No ambiguity there.

What are you talking about. At the very beginning I noted that there was a small change at Mount Dennis. However this isn't part of the tunnelled section. It doesn't mean the drug-addicted wife beater comments are correct. Your splitting hairs.

Sigh... really Den? The point was that Ford is not responsible for Eglinton having a 10km tunnel as he claims.

Den is 100% right. Follow the string of what was being commented on.

It was always underground from Mt Dennis to Laird since the original proposal. Ford had nothing to do with Mt Dennis to Laird being underground.

There were modifications to the EA in the west, at Mount Dennis.

It was, however now it's above ground. A very short distance of a few metres at Mount Dennis station itself is now underground, instead of at grade

The point that was debated was whether it was always underground or not. The clear answer is that it switched from at-grade to elevated and underground at Black Creek / Mount Dennis. (although nfitz seems to waver on this fact). The change happened when Ford was Mayor, but nobody here attributed the change to Fords influence (although nobody discounted it either :)).

If we go back before Ford was Mayor (before the EA was completed) I think reference could be found that more of it was planned to be in the median. I am not sure exactly who can be given credit to extending the underground portion at that time (no doubt, several people and/or groups).

The point that was debated was whether it was always underground or not. The clear answer is that it switched from at-grade to elevated and underground at Black Creek / Mount Dennis. (although nfitz seems to waver on this fact). The change happened when Ford was Mayor, but nobody here attributed the change to Fords influence (although nobody discounted it either :)).

If we go back before Ford was Mayor (before the EA was completed) I think reference could be found that more of it was planned to be in the median. I am not sure exactly who can be given credit to extending the underground portion at that time (no doubt, several people and/or groups).

I read somewhere (wish I could find the link/source) that it was TheTigerMaster.

The section for Mount Dennis was always at grade during the EA and the approved EA. During the process, I and others including the ward councilors call for this section to be underground.

Ford had nothing to do with getting the EA amended for for underground Mount Dennis section. It was city staff, ward councilors, supporters of the underground section and Metrolinx agreeing with it that should get credit for the change.

These facts are indisputable:

1. Eglinton LRT in the original Transit City plan had a 10km long underground tunnel. It was always underground through central Eglinton.
2. Rob Ford had nothing to do with the original Transit City plans.

Rob Ford now claims credit for the underground tunnel being dug now on Eglinton. He claims that it would be at-grade from Keele to Laird if not for his involvement. This is a blatant lie. Keele to Laird has always been in an underground tunnel.

This is all historical fact, documented everywhere. Please tell me we can all agree on the above.

These facts are indisputable:

1. Eglinton LRT in the original Transit City plan had a 10km long underground tunnel. It was always underground through central Eglinton.
2. Rob Ford had nothing to do with the original Transit City plans.

Rob Ford now claims credit for the underground tunnel being dug now on Eglinton. He claims that it would be at-grade from Keele to Laird if not for his involvement. This is a blatant lie. Keele to Laird has always been in an underground tunnel.

This is all historical fact, documented everywhere. Please tell me we can all agree on the above.
We can. I hope I didn't piss you off :)

He never said he was against the LRTs. You can argue that he implied it, is lying etc etc, but it is a fact that he never explicitly said he was against LRT. It is a fact.

This is a fact: a quote from the Toronto Star from Tory:
http://www.thestar.com/news/city_ha...ard_lrts_are_election_hot_potatoes_again.html

No ambiguity there.

There was plenty of ambiguity for many weeks before that article was posted. Let's go back to May.

Asked if he’d push to re-allocate the budget for the Finch/Sheppard projects — $2 billion from the province and another $333 million from the federal government – Tory replied, “No, I’m not saying that. I’m just saying you can’t have it both ways. If you’re going to say you’re going to do the Yonge Street Relief Line, you obviously have to fund that first…On Finch and Sheppard, I’d say it has to be part of the broader conversation with the province and Metrolinx.”

http://spacing.ca/toronto/2014/05/08/lorinc-john-tory-qa-pay-transit/

Back