News   Jul 19, 2024
 305     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 1.5K     4 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 588     1 

2014 Municipal Election: Toronto Transit Plans

I read somewhere (wish I could find the link/source) that it was TheTigerMaster.

What you read was 100% correct. Instead of bickering about Ford, you guys should be looking into ways to thanking me for my hard work to get the ECLRT under construction.

The fact that I'm still waiting probably means that all of you are planning something awesome to thank me, so I'm not too upset yet. I'll be here waiting :)

The point that was debated was whether it was always underground or not.
The point being debated was whether or not the racist was lying. The racist was lying. This is a discussion about the transit positions of the mayoral debate.

I don't know why you are so desperate to defend a wife-beating bigot, on such a minor aspect of the entire thing, that he had nothing to do with.

During the debate today, Tory said he supports the DRL subway as well as LRTs on Finch in addition to SmartTrack.

In my opinion Tory won the debate hands down. He really destroyed Ford.

It's great that he supports LRT on Finch, but what did he say about Sheppard?

It's really great to see Tory come out it support of the Relief Line. I am very pleased to hear that :)

The section for Mount Dennis was always at grade during the EA and the approved EA. During the process, I and others including the ward councilors call for this section to be underground.

Ford had nothing to do with getting the EA amended for for underground Mount Dennis section. It was city staff, ward councilors, supporters of the underground section and Metrolinx agreeing with it that should get credit for the change.

This is exactly as I remember it happening.

Anyways all this argument is over at most a fee hundred meters of track. It's completely inconsequential. At the end of the day the fact remains that Frod had nothing to do with getting any of the ECLRT grade separated.

There was ambiguity, but he never explicitly said he would cancel the LRTs on Finch & Sheppard.

Now, he's made several statements definitively saying he would not cancel them and supports them.

I agree. There's no ambiguity about Tory's position on the LRTs.

My only concern with Tory and the LRTs is that he may want to cancel them to fund the Scarborough Subway when it goes over budget. Remember he has said that the Scarborough Subway and SmartTrack were his #1 priorities. I'd like to see him commit to not redirecting funds from FWLRT or SELRT to fund SmartTrack or Scarborough.

There was ambiguity, but he never explicitly said he would cancel the LRTs on Finch & Sheppard.

Now, he's made several statements definitively saying he would not cancel them and supports them.

He never said cancel, but he wanted to delay them indefinitely so that the smart track would be the main priority. Only NOW he changed/clarified his position, but he still doesn't. include the LRTs on his transit map. All the criticism he got was well deserved.

LOL. Tory will agree to anything that sounds sensible to him. He's going to be a real push-over for city staff and council.

I don't mind if city staff run the city for a while as far as transit goes.

Politicians stepping back and selling staff selected projects to the public to obtain funding should be what happens. Politicians thinking for themselves creates nothing but trouble for everyone in this department.

Anyways all this argument is over at most a fee hundred meters of track. It's completely inconsequential. At the end of the day the fact remains that Frod had nothing to do with getting any of the ECLRT grade separated.

Exactly. That was the point.

I agree. There's no ambiguity about Tory's position on the LRTs.

My only concern with Tory and the LRTs is that he may want to cancel them to fund the Scarborough Subway when it goes over budget. Remember he has said that the Scarborough Subway and SmartTrack were his #1 priorities. I'd like to see him commit to not redirecting funds from FWLRT or SELRT to fund SmartTrack or Scarborough.

He never said cancel, but he wanted to delay them indefinitely so that the smart track would be the main priority. Only NOW he changed/clarified his position, but he still doesn't. include the LRTs on his transit map. All the criticism he got was well deserved.

It's not up to Tory to cancel them or delay them, or redirect funds. They are Metrolinx's projects, that's already on track with committed funding. Tory said he won't interfere.

It's not up to Tory to cancel them or delay them, or redirect funds. They are Metrolinx's projects, that's already on track with committed funding. Tory said he won't interfere.

Tory would negotiate with Queens Park to delay them if he sees fit. Even Rob Ford successfully screwed up Transit City under Dalton Mcguinty, without even a council vote. If it's not up to Tory, then who is he to decide which funded transit projects are his priority, or that the relief line is not needed.

Tory would negotiate with Queens Park to delay them if he sees fit. Even Rob Ford successfully screwed up Transit City under Dalton Mcguinty, without even a council vote. If it's not up to Tory, then who is he to decide which funded transit projects are his priority, or that the relief line is not needed.

http://www.thestar.com/news/city_ha...ard_lrts_are_election_hot_potatoes_again.html

he does want construction on the two LRTs to happen as planned: Finch from 2016 to 2020, Sheppard from 2017 to 2021. And he said the suggestion that he would reallocate the federal and provincial cash to his SmartTrack is a “total fabrication.”
“They’ve allocated it to those projects. I have no intention of asking them to switch it to anything else,” Tory said in an interview.
“I want the LRTs to proceed,” he said. “I will move them forward. I have no problem with them proceeding.”

Only the Star could write such a biased article and try to pass it off as news.

It refers to the cancelling of the Finch & Sheppard LRT RAPID TRANSIT. They were certainly LRT but in no possible definition of the word could they ever be called rapid. Even if you thought they were great ideas as they would improve reliability, offer more comfort, and have easier un/loading than the current buses, that doesn't make them rapid. When you have to stop every 2 to 3 blocks, have to wait for red lights, turning lanes, and pray there are no accidents on the route they are anything but rapid.

I believe they were going to be on average 12 to 15 km/hr and if that is rapid transit then every bus route in the city is. Afew Vancouver BLine type buses would be much faster, reliable, and cost one-tenth the amount and up and running in 6 months.

Just because someone is against the Finch & Sheppard TC LRT lines does NOT mean they are against rapid transit on the corridor. In fact it may mean that support rapid transit and know that the TC F/S LRT proposal is anything but.

Only the Star could write such a biased article and try to pass it off as news.

Logo-SUN_new.jpg

Back