News   Jul 19, 2024
 311     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 1.5K     4 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 593     1 

2014 Municipal Election: Toronto Transit Plans

Fail. EA says 22 to 23 km/h

doesn't matter. when the transit needs to wait for traffic lights and turning cars, it is not rapid transit.
Rapid transit requires ROW running on either elevated railways or tunnels, because only that is not subject to surface traffic conditions at all.

I am not saying "subway, subway, subway" and in many cases subways aren't necessary, but let's not pretend Finch or Sheppard LRTs are RAPID transit.

I believe the TTC has given ECLRT, FELRT and SELRT rapid transit designation. I also recall that Metrolinx has designated all the LRT lines as rapid transit.

Ksun: I don't think many people care about the technical definition of rapid transit. It's a misleading definition that implies that RT is somehow inherently faster than other modes, which isn't true at all.

I believe they were going to be on average 12 to 15 km/hr and if that is rapid transit then every bus route in the city is.

I really have to call this out as a complete fabrication. 22-23 km/h is the average speed.

doesn't matter. when the transit needs to wait for traffic lights and turning cars, it is not rapid transit.
Rapid transit requires ROW running on either elevated railways or tunnels, because only that is not subject to surface traffic conditions at all.

I am not saying "subway, subway, subway" and in many cases subways aren't necessary, but let's not pretend Finch or Sheppard LRTs are RAPID transit.

Then you definition of "rapid transit" differs from Metrolinx and TTC. But at the end of the day it doesn't matter what you call it, what matter is people can get where they want to go fast, reliably, comfortably.

We all know Eglinton will be on the "rapid transit" aka subway map.

Recall that ECLRT, FWLRT & SELRT have transit signal priority, and that even without signal priority red lights on Eglinton, Finch and Sheppard aren't very common. It will be very rare that the LRVs on those lines will be stopping at red lights, and when they do it will be for a few seconds at most.

It should not have to wait for traffic light and cars if it will have proper transit signal priority. By your reasoning, the Calgary LRT is not rapid transit because it's not elevated.

It should not have to wait for traffic light and cars if it will have proper transit signal priority. By your reasoning, the Calgary LRT is not rapid transit because it's not elevated.
I think what they meant was to either have ROW or a pseudo-ROW (absolute priority, rail gates, ).

Recall that ECLRT, FWLRT & SELRT have transit signal priority, and that even without signal priority red lights on Eglinton, Finch and Sheppard aren't very common. It will be very rare that the LRVs on those lines will be stopping at red lights, and when they do it will be for a few seconds at most.
I take it you haven't driven on those streets in the daytime. Red lights are common, and don't forget the N-S cross streets which do get busy for a good part of the day. If we are speaking about 10pm at night, then sure, it's rare to get a red light.

I take it you haven't driven on those streets in the daytime. Red lights are common, and don't forget the N-S cross streets which do get busy for a good part of the day. If we are speaking about 10pm at night, then sure, it's rare to get a red light.

Some of those intersections are minor roads feeding into the main road where the transit line is on though. Usually the major road gets green most of the time.

For example this intersection: http://goo.gl/maps/pVoRG, would give Sheppard green most of the time.

Of course, if you're talking about driving those streets during the day, we do have to consider the fact that the LRT has it's own exclusive lane and therefore won't get stuck in traffic like a car on the same road would.

Does it matter that the Pembina Institute think that?

Has TTC/Metrolinx ever considered even partially implementing Calgary style crossing gates on at-grade LRT intersections?

Back