News   Jul 19, 2024
 369     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 1.7K     4 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 650     1 

2014 Municipal Election: Toronto Transit Plans

A smaller part was underground though. I know for sure the Leslie mess was not a part of the original plan.

That's... simply not true... why would you say this? The alignment on the east side of the tunnel Laird to Don Mills is exactly the way it was back in Transit City. The main difference is the West side with the Mt Dennis maintenance facility.

The original EA is right here:
http://thecrosstown.ca/the-project/reports/EglintonCrosstownLRTEnvironmentalProjectReport

A smaller part was underground though. I know for sure the Leslie mess was not a part of the original plan.

Are you sure about this?

I thought everything I read, (from Steve Munro on down to most posters on this site 6 years ago), is that the LRT was put in the median through Leslie (in the approved EA), but do not worry - when detail design starts it is stated that is was sure to be moved to the south side.

That's... simply not true... why would you say this? The alignment on the east side of the tunnel Laird to Don Mills is exactly the way it was back in Transit City. The main difference is the West side with the Mt Dennis maintenance facility.

The original EA is right here:
http://thecrosstown.ca/the-project/reports/EglintonCrosstownLRTEnvironmentalProjectReport

Your 100% wrong here.

Are you sure about this?

I thought everything I read, (from Steve Munro on down to most posters on this site 6 years ago), is that the LRT was put in the median through Leslie (in the approved EA), but do not worry - when detail design starts it is stated that is was sure to be moved to the south side.
I have to clarify. I'm talking about the dispute on where it would go underground after don mills. That's what I mean by leslie mess.

I have to clarify. I'm talking about the dispute on where it would go underground after don mills. That's what I mean by leslie mess.
What they are currently building in the east, and the current portal locations, are as per the March 2010 EA, as had previously been widely discussed in 2009. They are the same now, as when David Miller was mayor.

There was discussion of putting Eglinton East to Kennedy underground after the wife-beating racist became mayor. And after council came to their senses there was discussion of modifying the EA to put it underground between Laird and Don Mills Road. But in the end, none of these changes happened. There were modifications to the EA in the west, at Mount Dennis. But there have been no changes to the plans in the east for years - other than the terminus design at Kennedy.

Ford had nothing to do with the decision of whether to move the eastern portal from Laird to Don Mills. That was entirely Metrolinx.

But that's beside the point, my original point was that Ford is trying to take credit for the fact that Eglinton is underground from Mt Dennis to Laird. If anybody doubts this check the video in the link, he really tries to take credit for that.

This is a blatant lie and a strange attempt to re-write history. It was always underground from Mt Dennis to Laird since the original proposal. Ford had nothing to do with Mt Dennis to Laird being underground.

This is a blatant lie and a strange attempt to re-write history. It was always underground from Mt Dennis to Laird since the original proposal. Ford had nothing to do with Mt Dennis to Laird being underground.
In the pantheon of Ford lies, this one is right at the top.

“You bore, bore, bore until the cows come home.”

Cows live on farms. Farms don't need subways. Flat vast parking lots don't need subways. You build subways where needed, not where the cows want it.

Cows also live on the rosedale farm, which may well make use of a subway. Ford tried to close the farm, the cow appropriate destination for a subway.

The silver lining is that even if Ford gets reelected, much of this plan is DOA. Unless there is a huge upset on council, they are not going to want to revisit the light rail discussion on Sheppard and Finch. He has none of the influence he had when he was first elected. He might get more support for Eglinton east, but even that is a long shot. The only thing which would go through is the Danforth extension.

Arguably, what would end up getting built would be near identical to Tory's plan.

Arguably, what would end up getting built would be near identical to Tory's plan.
I doubt it. I'd think if Ford got elected, there would be a DRL, unlike Tory's plan.

Though Tory is so wishy-washy, I expect that once they run the numbers on the ridership on the Yonge line, with just his bizarre scheme, he'll quickly fold, and let GO build something close this SmartTrack plan, like they've already proposed, and push his $ to the DRL, which the province has already suggested they'd at least partially fund.

Well - Calgary has long planned, and even has a small section built of the 8th ave subway, which would be run with the cities LRT (it would be used by the NW / South lines). But again, Calgary's LRT is more subway style, the entire thing has priority with gates at level crossings. Also, in Calgary's 20 year plan is for a new LRT line that would use low floor cars. Personally I think LRT is mis-used. Toronto's mixed traffic streetcars? That is LRT, but anything that has a gated right-of-away can be considered HRT, or Heavy Rail.

It runs through traffic lights downtown.

The silver lining is that even if Ford gets reelected, much of this plan is DOA. Unless there is a huge upset on council, they are not going to want to revisit the light rail discussion on Sheppard and Finch. He has none of the influence he had when he was first elected. He might get more support for Eglinton east, but even that is a long shot. The only thing which would go through is the Danforth extension.

Sheppard is the most controversial project in the city and there are many Councillors and those in the current Liberal government that are against it.

Ford's plan actually makes a lot of sense. The problem is finding a way to pay for it all. I also like it better than Tory's proposal.

Any proposal that changes the decision to replace the SRT with subway gets the thumbs down from me, so I wouldn't vote for Chow or Soknacki.

Problem is I hate Ford, but he has the best subway map.

Ford's plan actually makes a lot of sense. The problem is finding a way to pay for it all. I also like it better than Tory's proposal.

Any proposal that changes the decision to replace the SRT with subway gets the thumbs down from me, so I wouldn't vote for Chow or Soknacki.

Problem is I hate Ford, but he has the best subway map.

So you're saying that a subway on Finch from Keele to Humber College make sense?

Back