News   Jul 19, 2024
 350     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 1.6K     4 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 630     1 

2014 Municipal Election: Toronto Transit Plans

I find it funny that Tory's plan is estimated at 2x higher than what it should be, and Ford's plan is 2x lower than it should be. Can't anyone do some basic spitballing cost estimation?!

Seriously, it's not that difficult: Take what the TTC is estimating for the Scarborough Subway. Divide by the length of the Scarborough Subway. Figure out how many KMs of subway you want to build in your. Multiply by the number derived earlier… It's not rocket science! It may not be Class A Estimate-level of accuracy, but at least you'd be in the right ballpark!

Wow, on cp24 in the video titled "Ford discusses transit plan, incident at office", Ford again takes credit for Eglinton being underground from Mt Dennis to Laird at 1:00 mark, a complete lie.

"We're doing Eglinton, that's underground, thanks to me. They wanted to build LRT, I got it underground".
Source: http://www.cp24.com/video?clipId=432034 at 1:00.

Unbelievable lying. Eglinton LRT has always been underground from Mt Dennis to Laird, from the original transit city plan.

Wow, on cp24 in the video titled "Ford discusses transit plan, incident at office", Ford again takes credit for Eglinton being underground from Mt Dennis to Laird at 1:00 mark, a complete lie.

"We're doing Eglinton, that's underground, thanks to me. They wanted to build LRT, I got it underground".
Source: http://www.cp24.com/video?clipId=432034 at 1:00.

Unbelievable lying. Eglinton LRT has always been underground from Mt Dennis to Laird, from the original transit city plan.

Wow. I can't believe Ford is taking credit for what I did. He clearly opposed the ECLRT back in 2010, while my support for the approved ECLRT plan has remained consistent. The ECLRT is my doing. I deserve the credit for it! :mad:

On a serious note, I'm impressed about how blatant Ford is willing to be with his lying, even when what he's lying about is easily disproved. I've never seen anything quite like it before. It's as if the man feels no remorse.

So you're saying that a subway on Finch from Keele to Humber College make sense?

Such a subway could make sense with far-apart spacing (Jane, Weston, Milvan, Islington, Kipling, Martin Grove, Humber College) perhaps along an above-grade guideway where permitable. It'd even be better if it could be interlined with the Sheppard subway.

Not at all surprised by Ford's all subway transit vision.

Watching the news conference however, I couldn't help but notice he had the air of a young kid at a science fair, proudly showing off his exhibit that was made entirely by his parents. He was incapable of even halfheartedly explaining why these corridors actually deserve a subway, never mind elaborating on the ridiculous $9 billion price tag.

Last edited:
Not at all surprised by Ford's all subway transit vision.

Watching the news conference however, I couldn't help but notice he had the air of a young kid at a science fair, proudly showing off his exhibit that was made entirely by his parents. He was incapable of even halfheartedly explaining why these corridors actually deserve a subway, never mind elaborating on the ridiculous $9 billion price tag.

I'm pretty sure he just had one of his remaining interns draw some lines between the 'gaps' in the network. Not only does he not have a clue what any of the lines mean or how much they cost, nobody on Earth does. It's just meant to look good and get him elected.

His messaging between the line is consistently about how subways won't cause gridlock and not whether any of the lines make sense.

AoD

His messaging between the line is consistently about how subways won't cause gridlock and not whether any of the lines make sense.

AoD

Which is what makes his transit ideology so frustratingly stupid. If you're going to advocate subways everywhere, don't go about doing it as some sort of lip service to both people who drive and those who actually use public transportation. At least try to make it believable, as in "yes, we will need to increase taxes and implement revenue tools to pay for all this" instead of pulling a $9 billion figure out of your ass. I guess these are the lengths people will go just to get elected.

Also, does anyone know why his plan arbitrarily chose a Queen alignment for the DRL?

Such a subway could make sense with far-apart spacing (Jane, Weston, Milvan, Islington, Kipling, Martin Grove, Humber College) perhaps along an above-grade guideway where permitable. It'd even be better if it could be interlined with the Sheppard subway.

I could count the number of people who would use that line on a single hand.

Okay, not really. But ridership would be abysmally low.

This is a blatant lie and a strange attempt to re-write history. It was always underground from Mt Dennis to Laird since the original proposal. Ford had nothing to do with Mt Dennis to Laird being underground.

As indicated above, this is not true.

There were modifications to the EA in the west, at Mount Dennis.

It was to go on street through Black Creek Drive before.

Also, does anyone know why his plan arbitrarily chose a Queen alignment for the DRL?

Any attempt to find even an iota of logic or common sense with his transit plan will not work. For all the subways he promised, he couldn't bother to bring the Eglinton line to the airport, or include the Yonge subway extension, or extend the DRL to Sheppard. And what's with the BD extension in Etobicoke? Is it gonna go along the middle of highway 427 or something?

Logically, it makes sense to show that is not on the rail corridor. By showing an alignment along Wellington on the scale shown, it would not be clear. It now at least appears to differentiate itself from Tory's SmartTrack.

That being said, I am sure Ford did not put such thought into it.

As indicated above, this is not true.

It was to go on street through Black Creek Drive before.

Ford's implication was that Eglinton would not be underground at all without him. In reality it always had a large underground section, since it's inception. Does this really need to be disputed?

Any attempt to find even an iota of logic or common sense with his transit plan will not work. For all the subways he promised, he couldn't bother to bring the Eglinton line to the airport, or include the Yonge subway extension, or extend the DRL to Sheppard. And what's with the BD extension in Etobicoke? Is it gonna go along the middle of highway 427 or something?

Clearly the most important thing for a "world class" city is to close subway loops. If you see a loop that should be closed on the subway map, you must close the loop. It's the #1 rule of transit planning. This both makes subway maps look more "world class" and creates a nice pleasing circular shape.

Therefore we should build a huge subway along highway 427.

Therefore we should build a huge subway along highway 427.

Ford must have been inspired by Chicago.

Screen shot 2014-09-04 at 1.34.18 PM.jpg

Attachments

• Screen shot 2014-09-04 at 1.34.18 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2014-09-04 at 1.34.18 PM.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 304
Last edited:
That looks like Lawrence west on our subway.

Quick fixes for Rob's plan

1) subway or LRT to the airport.
It does not matter what mode is just, finish the Eglinton line as people are getting upset about the UP yours express.

2) extend the DRL to Mount Dennis and Don Mills
He should have brought the DRL in the west to mount dennis and in the east to Don Mills(fairview mall) acutally provide relief on Yonge

3) Extend the crosstown and the Bloor danforth to STC
Using the Eglinton line will shift riders and move pressure from Bloor Yonge to Don Mills Eglinton and Yonge Eglinton.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back