News   Jul 19, 2024
 366     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 1.7K     4 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 649     1 

2014 Municipal Election: Toronto Transit Plans

Notice how he didn't label LRT for the "blue" portion of the ECLRT? Again, refusing to acknowledge this type of transit exists. He must think hiding his head in the sand is a good way to communicate.

To be fair, that is already under construction and not part of his proposal. He didn't label the existing YUS or BD line either. He was only labelling the lines he is proposing in this campaign.
The grey dotted lines don't matter as they won't happen. When even a politicians says "future", that's means it is really distant and it has no meaning.

I still don't know why he put the TTC against London, NYC and Tokyo as if these are comparable cities. Putting the transit maps of Chicago, Madrid and Rome is more appropriate.

This is a really good point. How many EA's are going on at any given time? Those really are the "easy part" and he failed spectacularly at even that.

But most people in Toronto won't even know what an EA is, let alone understanding the necessary process of actually producing a viable and warranted transit line. To me this is a real problem.

Clearly we have a big issue in Toronto that the 25-30% of the population (his level of support) is stupid.

I will be happy if EA is simply skipped. When did EA produce anything meaningful anyway.

It was $8.4 Billion, roughly.

Wasn't that for a completely buried Eg/Crosstown as part of the MOU...Didn't the province give R Ford an apple it saying if it cost any less R Ford could use to build Sheppard...
Didn't that number die when the MOU did? Didn't the number come down to something like 5.4B going above ground Laird to Kennedy and Keele to Mt Dennis...That is why the Sheppard (1B approx) and Finch (1.8B approx) were revived

Actually I think you're right.

The $8.4 Billion was just the amount of money allocated towards an underground ECLRT in the MOU. It's not the actual cost of the project.

From http://www.robfordformayor.ca/ website, at this link:

transit-map-homepage.gif

"My dear guests with Ford Nation, I am Mr. Ford, your host. Welcome to Fantasy Transit." Where all your transit dreams can come true...

...at a price or consequence you never expected.

[video=youtube_share;iwaEydIpS0E]http://youtu.be/iwaEydIpS0E[/video]

Rob Ford's transit plan in 2010:
http://www.blogto.com/city/2011/12/remember_rob_fords_transportation_plan/

201112-ford-subways.jpg

We all know how that turned out. Note that he tried to kill Eglinton and failed.

Guys, let's not take this seriously and question the why, how much it costs etc. We all know Ford does not care or did not answer that, and that his new plan won't happen even if he's elected (which seems improbable at this point). If Ford's transit plan 4 years ago were true now, there'd be a very long subway well under construction on Sheppard.

Wasn't that for a completely buried Eg/Crosstown as part of the MOU...Didn't the province give R Ford an apple it saying if it cost any less R Ford could use to build Sheppard...
Didn't that number die when the MOU did? Didn't the number come down to something like 5.4B going above ground Laird to Kennedy and Keele to Mt Dennis...That is why the Sheppard (1B approx) and Finch (1.8B approx) were revived

So he is going to build Eglinton all underground, and in place of refurbishing the SRT while connecting it to Eglinton, he is going to also extend the Danforth subway, build the Sheppard subway, AND build the DRL at its very minimum (stage 1 should go to at least Spadina/Bathurst area) for only $600 thousand?!

At the very least, he should have had the Bloor and Eglinton lines interchange at the airport, since we are all just drawing lines on a map.

Okay, so I just looked over the PDF. A few things come to mind:

1. He took the subway maps from urbanrail.net, with absolutely no reference to the site's owner.

2. I hate to admit it, but I actually like it a little better than Tory's SmartTrack. Granted that is not saying much.

3. The $9 billion does not include money already slated for the current Eglinton light subway, hence why he can cost the total project so low.

4. Let's pretend that we were dealing with a spend happy lefty mayor, who seriously had the goal of the best transit damn the expense. Let's also pretend that the province would be willing to do whatever the schizophrenic politicians of the city wish. Let's also pretend that at this stage of the game, phase 1 could be completed within 10-15 years. Are these costs realistically obtainable ($580 million/km for the DRL to $170 million for Eglinton East, assuming the length measurements are accurate)? If we went back 10 years and there was no active transit expansion strategy on the table as we speak, this is actually not all that bad.

Guys, let's not take this seriously and question the why, how much it costs etc. We all know Ford does not care or did not answer that, and that his new plan won't happen even if he's elected (which seems improbable at this point).

I'm sorry but we cannot afford to not take this seriously for the simple reason that 25-35% of the population of this city supports this man. That is a damn scary thing. We have to be able to rip apart this plan and explain this to those foolish people. I'm really scared that so many people will support this total bullshit.

And saying that "it's ok, if he get's elected the plan won't happen" is the absolute worse case scenario. If he tries AGAIN to push these nonsense ideas like the Sheppard East and Finch subways, council rightfully will resist him AGAIN, the provincial government will have their own opinion on the matter, the feds will see a local conservative politician stymied... that's a recipe for gridlock. We saw that movie. It was a huge waste of 4 years and hundreds of millions of dollars of cancelled/altered contracts, and what new transit did Toronto initiate? The bullshit Scarborough subway with its 30 years of property tax hikes.

Being so irrational is not something we can afford in this city. Too many people and businesses are suffering with gridlock. We need action.

If we go through the Rob Ford movie again, mark my words, we will see the beginning of a decline in prosperity in Toronto. People and businesses will leave.

So no, we cannot afford to ignore this man's proposals.

Last edited:
Too many people and businesses are suffering with gridlock. We need action.

Agree. but who is taking actions? Nobody. Neither Smart track or increased bus service is close to solving Toronto's transit malaise.

Back