News   Jul 19, 2024
 396     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 1.7K     4 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 670     1 

2014 Municipal Election: Toronto Transit Plans

Can't drop out after September 15th. I can't seeing her staying on the ballot, but endorsing Tory.

If the polls continue like this, I fear Rob Ford will drop out and run for his old council seat again - which he might well win.

I hope not. Mr. Domise needs to win that seat. If he does I easily see him being our next mayor.

Like I said. Don't know why people get surprised. Tory is climbing in the polls because 416 burbs like Smart Track. GO service at half the price.

Chow is selling an entirely downtown agenda. And on top of that she's going to alienate many wealthy downtowners with her pledge today to single them out for high taxes with her new land transfer tax. Would not be surprised if she actually finished below Ford.

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you the gem of all transit plans. A plan based firmly based in reality and with cost estimates so accurate you'd swear they were done by an expert with a lifetime of experience in subway planning and construction…

HAHAHAHA, just kidding! The cost estimates are so out of whack in this thing you'd swear the guy who came up with it was on crack!! …Oh wait…

http://www.robfordformayor.ca/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Transit.pdf

You know, if you knew nothing at all about transit and just saw the map, you'd actually be happy to see all the lines be connected like that and think it would probably make sense. To the average voter, the masses without any knowledge of transit planning, that could look like a good plan.

It's all part of the populist game Ford is playing....

You know, if you knew nothing at all about transit and just saw the map, you'd actually be happy to see all the lines be connected like that and think it would probably make sense. To the average voter, the masses without any knowledge of transit planning, that could look like a good plan.

Sure, we will fund it - with the provisio that the funds need to come from the immediate neighbourhood the line serves, and that any operating deficit be covered in area therein. I'd love to see the enthusiasm of said populist residents.

AoD

I hope not. Mr. Domise needs to win that seat. If he does I easily see him being our next mayor.

A little early to be touting Domise don't you think? I can see Matlow, K W-T, Thompson and possibly even Robinson looking at 2018 a head of Domise

I give you one more name that would be a lock on the Mayorship should he ever decide to take citizenship and run... Pinball Clemons

I wouldn't mind if he will actually build them within a reasonable period of time (of course Sheppard and Eglinton east shouldn't be underground - that makes no sense). However, one would be foolish to think any of this will happen during his term if he is elected. Actually I have learned to be cynical enough to believe nothing would actually happen within the term of our next mayor, whoever that is.

it is there just go to www.robfordformayor.ca and click on subway expansion plan (gotta make you work a little)

Yup, once I clicked on the homepage it became easy to spot :)

I for one don't understand how people can be so stupid as to fall for the crap this guy constantly spits out. Maybe I shouldn't attempt to understand as I don't spend any time during my day trying to understand how crackheads think. I would rather have my head explode. Still, I can't resist..

Converting the ECLRT to subway east of Laird is a punch in the face of the provincial government, which of course he loves to do, but one could say this isn't exactly the best negotiating strategy when they are footing the bill right now. This WON'T HAPPEN.

Of course the FWLRT and SELRT are replaced by subways, just a couple of days before Metrolinx has their Board of Directors meeting confirming support and expedition of opening these lines for 2020/2021. Another slap in the face and a sure path to obstructionism.

Notice how he didn't label LRT for the "blue" portion of the ECLRT? Again, refusing to acknowledge this type of transit exists. He must think hiding his head in the sand is a good way to communicate.

What the heck is that line from Kipling to Humber College? A subway there of all places? And this guy is supposed to be fiscally conservative?

And finally...how will he pay for all this? The same fairy dust he promised before. And how did that work out for the Sheppard subway?

See what I did right there? Simple logic defeats everything about this guy. Apparently that is too difficult for his supporters to accomplish. Back to taking selfies with their hero.

Last edited:
And finally...how will he pay for all this? The same fairy dust he promised before. And how did that work out for the Sheppard subway?

His record over the last 4 years is the best reason to believe his transit plan is a complete failure.

4 years and he didn't find funding for an EA or feasibility study. Most politicians manage to do several of these and not accomplish the hard part (getting it built). Ford failed at the easy, almost trivial, part.

rbt:

Not to mention he singlehandedly delayed tangible improvements that would have came onstream during his tenure - and supported cuts to the system that would have improved service during times of increasing ridership.

AoD

4 years and he didn't find funding for an EA or feasibility study. Most politicians manage to do several of these and not accomplish the hard part (getting it built). Ford failed at the easy, almost trivial, part.

This is a really good point. How many EA's are going on at any given time? Those really are the "easy part" and he failed spectacularly at even that.

But most people in Toronto won't even know what an EA is, let alone understanding the necessary process of actually producing a viable and warranted transit line. To me this is a real problem.

Clearly we have a big issue in Toronto that the 25-30% of the population (his level of support) is stupid.

Back