News   Jul 19, 2024
 496     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 2.1K     4 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 783     1 

2014 Municipal Election: Toronto Transit Plans

There aren't enough racist bigots in the city to re-elect Rob Ford. Let's not ignore either John Tory's or Olivia Chow's daft plans.

Ford “owns†the issues of low taxes, misspending and subway construction but “he has got to stay on message — no personal missteps.â€

Ford “owns†the issues of low taxes, misspending and subway construction but “he has got to stay on message — no personal missteps.â

Of all the reasons people give for supporting any candidate "maybe he won't do what he says he will" is always the strangest to me!
I had to throw something at the wall that might work
There aren't enough racist bigots in the city to re-elect Rob Ford. Let's not ignore either John Tory's or Olivia Chow's daft plans.
Yeah I bet you said that in 2010 as well. There are and now he's passed 30 percent he can win and will if we don't pick someone.

Yeah I bet you said that in 2010 as well.
I don't think I did actually. I don't think his bigotry was as widely known at that point. I certainly pointed out he was those things. But I didn't think that everyone who voted for him was a bigot back then.

I did point out that if elected, he'd end up being a huge embarrassment to the city. I think I was correct.

That being said though ... we could do worse than Ford on some major issues. Ford has no influence over council any more. Electing Ford is tantamount to just letting council do their own thing. And perhaps that's a better than having a real hardcore right-winger - not that any appear to be running yet.

Of all the reasons people give for supporting any candidate "maybe he won't do what he says he will" is always the strangest to me!

I don't think I did actually. I don't think his bigotry was as widely known at that point. I certainly pointed out he was those things. But I didn't think that everyone who voted for him was a bigot back then.

I did point out that if elected, he'd end up being a huge embarrassment to the city. I think I was correct.

That being said though ... we could do worse than Ford on some major issues. Ford has no influence over council any more. Electing Ford is tantamount to just letting council do their own thing. And perhaps that's a better than having a real hardcore right-winger - not that any appear to be running yet.

When Ford gets his powers back council will come under fire as they should.

When Ford gets his powers back council will come under fire as they should.
Powers? Mayor gets one vote out of 45. Any extra "powers" he had are granted to him by council. What council grants him, they can take away.

Given how ineffective he's been for much of this council, it's hard to imagine he'd be any more effective if re-elected.

Powers? Mayor gets one vote out of 45. Any extra "powers" he had are granted to him by council. What council grants him, they can take away.

Given how ineffective he's been for much of this council, it's hard to imagine he'd be any more effective if re-elected.
All the powers he lost. And they won't remove it again, and face the baqcklash of the voters. If he's so ineffective why don't you want him back in? See I don't believe that, which is why I am for anyone but ford.

John Tory's new slogan?

Haha yeah!

All the powers he lost. And they won't remove it again, and face the baqcklash of the voters.
If another video appears, such as him drinking in public after his rehab, or with an underage prostitute ... then I think they'd face more baqclkash from not removing him. I expect they'll be a lot quicker to remove him a second time.

If he's so ineffective why don't you want him back in? See I don't believe that, which is why I am for anyone but ford.
Because I think having a wife-beating, drunk-driving, drug-addicted, bigoted, pathological liar sends the wrong message to so many people. Anyone who thinks that putting someone like this in power just because they might get better transit, or a tax cut, is no better than he is. I've simply noted that the transit file in particular (which is what this thread is about) wouldn't be particularly impacted if he returned to power.

If another video appears, such as him drinking in public after his rehab, or with an underage prostitute ... then I think they'd face more baqclkash from not removing him. I expect they'll be a lot quicker to remove him a second time.
If that happenes, the province will remove and then bar him from public office, so I'm not even worried about city council.

Because I think having a wife-beating, drunk-driving, drug-addicted, bigoted, pathological liar sends the wrong message to so many people. Anyone who thinks that putting someone like this in power just because they might get better transit, or a tax cut, is no better than he is. I've simply noted that the transit file in particular (which is what this thread is about) wouldn't be particularly impacted if he returned to power.
Rob is not supposed to be a role model, it's just that he hurts the cities' reputation, imo of course. For the transit, we are getting the Sheppard East subway if he gets back in, no question, that will be a done deal and Brad Duguid and the Scarborough Liberal Caucus will make sure of that. I can also see Eglinton East being buried as well.

http://www.reddit.com/r/toronto/com..._for_rob_ford_at_this_point_basically/ck3bokm

John Tory's new slogan?
At least Tory knows where the wall is, unlike a certain candidate who appears to be slipping rapidly.

For the transit, we are getting the Sheppard East subway if he gets back in, no question, that will be a done deal and Brad Duguid and the Scarborough Liberal Caucus will make sure of that. I can also see Eglinton East being buried as well.
Not without the Liberal cabinet and council supporting them. Rob's support wouldn't be nearly enough, and there is little chance council would give him control of the transit file like they did in 2010.

Say goodbye to the DRL if that nightmare ever happened.

Back