News   Jul 19, 2024
 530     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 2.3K     5 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 826     2 

2014 Municipal Election: Toronto Transit Plans

If you were running 5 minute frequencies at peak times I would think that the trains would be smaller to reflect the higher frequencies.

Why would many taking the subway from Scarborough Centre or Malvern to Kennedy instead go all the way to Agincourt to get on the GO?

How many people have their destination as Kennedy??? It's a gateway, not a destination. The number of people who would follow the trip pattern you described is a handful, at best. I'd also like to point out that Malvern isn't even directly served by the Scarborough Subway route.

How many people have their destination as Kennedy??? It's a gateway, not a destination.
The next stop is Union though. From taking the Danforth and Yonge subways in the morning, I really don't think most people boarding the subway at Kennedy are heading to Union. There's a lot of people getting off at each station through to Yonge. A lot heading north on Yonge. A lot who get off at College and Dundas.

Chow running behind Ford.

Interesting. Feels a lot like the time I said Ford would win....even though I didn't support him.

People seem surprised by these outcomes. But you can see them coming.

Run a campaign that reads like a laundry list of everything downtown voters want. Don't be surprised if the rest of the city isn't as enthusiastic.

Though to be honest, I thought John Tory would have gaffed himself out by now.

People seem surprised by these outcomes. But you can see them coming.
Can you? Only a bigoted racist would support Rob Ford at this stage.

I always seem to be on the glass half-full side, so it's hard to imagine that there really are so many racists and bigots in Toronto.

This hasn't got anything in particular to do with Transit. It should be in the elections threads in the Toronto Issues section.

I have a hard time believing this poll. Where did Rob Ford get the extra 6% support? Chow's supporters sure as hell didn't switch over to Ford.

I'll believe it (if) when we see multiple polls with similar results.

I'm not surprised that Ford is doing well.

Firstly, many people don't any candidate's name except Ford, and think he & the events/issues surrounding him are funny or entertaining.

"Low taxes? That's a good thing, I agree"
"Streetcars? I hate them too. He wants to build subways? Great. Finish the Sheppard line, close the loop. Subway on Finch? That's better than buses for sure"
"They spent how much money on umbrellas I've never seen? I'm outraged!"

I'm not surprised that Ford is doing well.

Firstly, many people don't any candidate's name except Ford, and think he & the events/issues surrounding him are funny or entertaining.

"Low taxes? That's a good thing, I agree"
"Streetcars? I hate them too. He wants to build subways? Great. Finish the Sheppard line, close the loop. Subway on Finch? That's better than buses for sure"
"They spent how much money on umbrellas I've never seen? I'm outraged!"

I can't believe people support this guy after all his transgressions.

Contempt for the voting public won't get you very far earning their votes.
Given that only a racist bigot would vote for Rob Ford, I'd hope that no candidates would be trying to earn their vote.

And why is this in the transportation thread?

Contempt for the voting public won't get you very far earning their votes.

Funny, considering that Ford's outright lies (on multiple occasions) to the voting public appears to be endearing him to them.

I find it hard to believe this poll, however. Just like how certain polling companies kept projecting PC governments right up to Election Day back in June, I feel like a multiple-point surge in Ford support seems very unlikely. Or at least, I hope so. I'm no Tory fan, but I would very much rather not see Ford within any striking distance of the lead.

Can you? Only a bigoted racist would support Rob Ford at this stage.

I always seem to be on the glass half-full side, so it's hard to imagine that there really are so many racists and bigots in Toronto.

This hasn't got anything in particular to do with Transit. It should be in the elections threads in the Toronto Issues section.

Very relevant to transit. Particularly since one poll said 70% of voters would pick their candidate according to transit plan.

Clearly, smart track is going over well.

I assume the other 30% are Ford supporters.

I'm really not surprised at the polls. Ford is the anti-establishment guy for who want to stick it to the system. Chow, despite her protestations, is likely viewed as a tax and spend leftist focused on downtown priorities. Tory is the compromise candidate.

Even their transit plans line up that way.

Toronto's Chief Planner on the need for a Relief Line:

Ms. Keesmaat stressed it’s crucial for the city to build a downtown relief line because it will help relieve the crowded Yonge line, noting that regional transit lines — such as John Tory’s proposed SmartTrack line, although Ms. Keesmaat stressed she was not commenting on mayoral platforms — are just as critical but address different issues. In the core, most people bike or walk to get around, and those are much less expensive projects to contemplate, she said.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/0...t-growing-at-mind-blowing-rate/?__federated=1

Back