News   Jul 18, 2024
 424     0 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 586     1 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 903     0 

2014 Municipal Election: Toronto Council Races

Honestly, some people are so neurotic and insecure. Who the hell cares about this sort of thing? Are people seriously so distraught about this? One would have to be severe self esteem issues to be bothered by something so frivolous.

Well, obviously some people do. Just because you (mistakenly, naively) believe something like this to be frivolous, it doesn't mean it is.

Whichever councillor supported Ramkhalawansingh must be feeling a bit foolish now. I would be nice if their support in the upcoming election dropped as a result.

See 2014CC53.2 for the twenty-two who voted her in (more or less supported by the leftside of council).....if someone should be so kind as to link it in it would be much appreciated

I don't really have a problem with Ramkhalawansingh's motion. She was the director of diversity management and civic engagement for the city before becoming the stand-in councillor; it makes sense something like this might be among her concerns. As for it being a federal rather than municipal issue, so is federal money for affordable housing. The vote is to send a message to the feds. I think the idea that this should make everyone who supported her feel embarrassed is much sillier than the motion itself. (Lord, I never thought I'd see the day where I was the most Social Justice Warrior-y person on a message board.)

I wonder how many people actually know the words to O Canada. I never learned the revised version that was introduced a number of years ago. Not sure I can remember the old version we sang at elementary school. Even if could, I have never understood what the "all thy sons command" line meant, anyways. It's not an easy phrase to parse. Are we asking god to command us to fill our hearts with patriotic love? So much for free will, eh?

I wonder how many people actually know the words to O Canada. I never learned the revised version that was introduced a number of years ago. Not sure I can remember the old version we sang at elementary school. Even if could, I have never understood what the "all thy sons command" line meant, anyways. It's not an easy phrase to parse. Are we asking god to command us to fill our hearts with patriotic love? So much for free will, eh?

I think the line's supposed to be saying that Canada 'commands'/inspires true patriot love in the hearts of all its citizens.

Well, obviously some people do. Just because you (mistakenly, naively) believe something like this to be frivolous, it doesn't mean it is.

It is frivolous. She and people like Margaret Atwood (who has also made a similar request) are using semantics to exploit peoples' emotions. Does anyone actually believe that the mention of "sons" in the National Anthem is referring to men, exclusively? The literature refers to all Canadians (male, female, gay, straight, deaf, blind, impaired, etc.) Seriously, grow a thicker skin. It's ridiculous to be offended by such a miniscule detail. Completely obsessive. Reading/hearing about stories such as this remind me of this scene from Dirty Work:

[video=youtube;NxDPyhVI1iY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxDPyhVI1iY[/video]

It is frivolous. She and people like Margaret Atwood (who has also made a similar request) are using semantics to exploit peoples' emotions.

"Exploit" to what end exactly? It's too much to believe that Atwood & Ramkalawansingh genuinely do think it matters what words we use & that others might too? I think you don't give them enough credit when you suggest they're playing dumb about "sons" being used to represent the whole human race and not just males. On the contrary, of course they get that. The objection is to precisely that idea, that it's taken for granted that males are the "default" setting of the human race.

Honestly, some people are so neurotic and insecure. Who the hell cares about this sort of thing? Are people seriously so distraught about this? One would have to be severe self esteem issues to be bothered by something so frivolous.

If you don't care, then it should be fine that there are people out there who want to change the anthem to become gender neutral. It's the push back that I don't understand. Why do people get so obsessed about keeping a national anthem that assumes all Canadians are men.

Back