News   Mar 28, 2024
 1.1K     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 589     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 885     0 

1 Bloor East, DEAD AND BURIED (Bazis, -2s, Varacalli)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Restricting the height at Yonge and Bloor would be absurd. Let's hope 275 metres goes through.

I haven't seen a very detailed image of the fins, but from what I have seen I haven't been too impressed. Why is it that Toronto can't seem to finish, or top off, a building very well? Where is our Chrysler Building!? If ever there was a site for one, this is it. This building will be like a beacon at the top of Yonge Street's rise. It should be an exclamation mark (avoiding the term 'icon' at all costs...oh the pain).

/\ the biggest offender here is ROCP 1 & 2...I was really hoping for some sort of art deco spire a la Chrystler/Empire State. Insted we got the bland, flat tops which are in place today - twas a real disapointment

/\ the biggest offender here is ROCP 1 & 2...I was really hoping for some sort of art deco spire a la Chrystler/Empire State. Insted we got the bland, flat tops which are in place today - twas a real disapointment

Isn't there enough of that sort of foolishness up on the 401?

The buzz will attract some individual buyers, the kind that are always attracted to buzz, but I think most regular people will find the project too expensive (in terms of value, not price).

^ why would you "hope" for a spire at RoCP - it was never even contemplated in the design at any stage of the project...

I was not privy to this forum or the 'building community' when ROCP was being built. Therefore I had no idea what was going on top until they put it there.

Isn't there enough of that sort of foolishness up on the 401?

AGREED. One of my larger problems with that design is that the height of the building doesn't warrant having a spire that large. While the whole thing up on the 401 does look ridiculous, I think that ROCP is high enough that it wouldn't look goofy with a well designed spire or similar piece. On second thought since this is a Corazza building its probably better we didn't get one!

And ya, was very surprised to see them rolling out with pre-sales before the building is even approved.

Really? It's common practice - almost more often than not.

The tower is a little out-of-range for the local flipper so I doubt it will have a higher than average investor turnout unless you consider the wealthy at home and abroad buying in as a second home for the portfolio as investors. What's another 2 million dollars to someone with a 30 million dollar vacation spot in London

Common practice sure, but a practice a lot of people would like to see end.

Why end something works pretty well? I doubt many people complain about the fact that pre-sales on some condos starts slightly before it's been legally approved.

One thing I would love to know more of is which buildings are attracting which demographics, as it were--like who your average buyer is at the 4S compared to Shangri-La or Ritz, etc. I had the impression, just anecdotally from talking to people back home, that 4S is attracting a very wealthy but very local crowd of empty-nesters, which is understandable given that many people moving from Forest Hill or Rosedale would be reluctant to head all the way downtown. I would suspect that projects further south are much younger and more international, but who knows, really?

Whereas I suspect One Bloor is going to bag a lot of the 'Caspian Chic' crowd.

Vultur,

While I agree with your arguments in theory, in reality observations of foreign markets can be tremendously useful tools to guage trends and behavours here. So while there may not be a direct unit to unit relevence to justify stating something like "housing in Toronto is undervalued because of the sticker price of other international cities", it is completely justified to suggest "housing in Toronto is undervalued because I see untapped potential trends that have influenced other markets that have yet to play out here".

You have also made the point that local income and demographic trends like immigration numbers etc. are the prime indicators influencing real estate values. Again I don't disagree in theory but in practice it really matters how and in what time frame you are interested in observing the market. As an example immigration numbers for instance have remained relatively stable for decades and yet the local market behaviours here have not really differentiated much from other regions with less potential demand side pushing.

I stuck my head in the sales office today and it was packed. Another party for for the wealthy it seems. I was told it won't be open to the general public (norms) until late November.

they were showing on the news about people camping out to get into the sales office.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back