Toronto The Florian | ?m | 25s | Mirabella Dev Corp | Hariri Pontarini

I agree, this stretch of Davenport/Bay is really odd. There seems to be an varied and ample selection of retailers, some galleries, a school, Bay and Bloor just a few blocks south...yet it doesn't feel like a vibrant community.

Maybe I'm being a little too pessimistic, I don't even live there...

Whoever designed the condo behind it is deserves marks for bravery in attempting 1990's Gothic Revival. - Hilarious and all too true.

Same developer behind that thing at NE Bay/College, right? Similar ultra-bleached demeanour...

hmm, I always liked this part of town... its sort of a transitional area between Yorkville and Forest Hill I guess. Maybe Davenport running at all its strange angles in defiance of the grid throws people off, and no doubt it can feel very car dominated at busy times. I always thought of this part of town as a sort of secret, hidden Toronto just barely off the radar. And being an ex-courier driver in the city Davenport was always a great time saver, allowing you to move quickly from Bloor and Church over to Bathurst / St Clair area...

I live just behind here on McMurrich which is mostly all condos and townhomes (and a couple dilapidated semis which look like they're being readied for redevelopment) and I do agree that little part of davenport just doesn't seem to blend well with the city as a whole. Part of it is the fact that it connects with Bay in an unusual way making the intersection (if you can call it that) very big and not pedestrian friendly. Also the school which has huge frontage on bay/davenport means there is one entire side of the street with no shops or anything again making it not so pedestrian friendly which is crucial for a great area. It sort of works only as a transport hub which is a shame.

Now with that said it's a great area for a few reasons. It's a 2 minute walk into Yorkville yet prices are typically quite a bit cheaper than prime Yorkville. At least the street I'm on is connected directly to Rosedale valley road so it's a quick and usually traffic free drive to the DVP. It straddles both Yorkville and Rosedale which is good for resale values and offers lots of places to go in the area. And most of all the street (McMurrich which is almost entirely residential) is very quiet, has lots of trees, and just enjoyable to live on. I moved from the suburbs and this has that suburban greenery that makes you feel like you're not living in the hustle and bustle of a big city, yet you're right in the heart of it. It's great.

In terms of the Florian, it leaves much to be desired aesthetically. It just feels like a modern glass version of a St James Town apartment. I don't mind the podium but the tower needs help. And why pay 1000/sq ft here when you can pay a little more and be in the four seasons, or dare I say it the Regency.

I walked by the Florian sales center today and I have to retract my statement in the last post. When I saw the original renders I thought it looked pretty bland. Just another box in the sky with ugly balconies.

I still think the overall design isn't too impressive, but I have to say they colours and materials they have chosen are beautiful. The purple brick is really nice and almost has a two tone colour to it. And the windows appear like they'll be tinted quite dark, and the combination with the purple brick looks really attractive. I'll reserve all judgments until it's built but I think this could be the sleeper building of the area.

Now they just need to work on their pricing :rolleyes:

It may be a 3 minute walk to Yorkville, but you gotta walk past loud annoying kids at Jesse Kitchum PS, wide thru-way like conditions on the street, and some seriously ugly buildings/streetscape. Well maybe this area is the new frontier?

Is anyone else a fan of the 1991-1996 Infiniti G20? (Well I always wanted to buy one here. Now, I'd never buy a condo here.)

Don't you think the city could narrow the road here and sell the widened triangle to a developer? A great location for a gorgeous flat-iron building imo.

G20? Never been my cup o' tea. This building continues that trend. I agree that the context of this corner and the shape of the site could have given us an amazing new form. HP however, seems to have dug deep into their Oshawa portfolio and coughed this bad boy up.

The G20 was an economy car with an upscale badge with bland styling. They were always known for their handling and high equipment levels. I'd only recommend it if the price was really good. I'm not sure how reliable they are.

hi Bentley
I lived on McMurrich up until last Oct. Still go over there to visit friends. I was in 77. Hard to believe a fellow skyscraper person was so so close by.

Is anyone else a fan of the 1991-1996 Infiniti G20? (Well I always wanted to buy one here. Now, I'd never buy a condo here.)

The older G20's are beautiful. I never owned a P11 (1991-96 G20), but I did own a P12 (1999 G20t). I did extensive modifications to it and regret selling it 4 yrs ago. I know many people that own 1991-96 G20's, since I'm a member of G20.net. We usually have G20 meets every month in the DOT.

They are great looking cars and fun to drive, esp. when turbo'd.

hi Bentley
I lived on McMurrich up until last Oct. Still go over there to visit friends. I was in 77. Hard to believe a fellow skyscraper person was so so close by.

Very cool! Yes, despite the fact that many of the buildings on McMurrich are hideous (77 excluded - I really like it), there are some fans of architecture hanging around.

looks like the Florian is going ahead with construction this fall....and note the comments about construction financing at the end of the article (my italics)...

from the National Post....

Design with a personal touch
Clients at the Florian get the generous suites they want in a building with the best exterior and interior finishes

National Post
Published: Friday, September 19, 2008

What difference can a brick make?

A lot if you're Bud Purves, and you're in the market for a condominium.

Mr. Purves and his wife, Janet Palmer, were resigned to buying a cookie-cutter unit from a large, "big box" builder until friends recommended Diamante Development's Upper Yorkville project, The Florian.

The luxury condominium, with a construction start this fall, features spacious light-filled suites from 1,500 to over 5,000 square feet in an 83-unit building that curves with the flow of Davenport Rd. where it meets Bay St.

The first thing to catch Mr. Purves's eye when he visited the presentation gallery at 100 Davenport Rd. was the richly coloured brick installed to demonstrate The Florian's exterior finishes and building systems.

"I was quite involved with the building committee of the new Four Seasons Centre in Toronto, and the brick appeared to be the same specification," says Mr. Purves, who heads the development corporation for a large university.

The brick, some three times more expensive than what is customarily used for residential projects, is usually reserved for high-profile commercial and institutional buildings such as Toronto's new ballet and opera house.

Intrigued by this demonstration of quality, Mr. Purves and Ms. Palmer, a business consultant, soon discovered other aspects of The Florian met their requirements. The couple, who own a cottage, downsized two years ago, selling their house and renting while they searched for a centrally located condo or townhouse.

The Florian's site proved ideal, close to shops and restaurants and a short walk from the Rosedale and Bay St. subway stations. At the same time, it allows quick access to the Don Valley Parkway, and the area retains a residential flavour.

Says Mr. Purves: "I am a runner and Janet is a walker, and the access to green parks and running routes is very good, as is the access to a surrounding human-scale neighbourhood where people and families are living."

Mr. Purves and Ms. Palmer were also delighted that they could have their future suite adjusted to suit their needs and preferences.

"Despite the fact that we are buying a smaller, less inexpensive unit, we feel that we are getting all the design help that even the most expensive buyers receive," says Mr. Purves, who likens the personal treatment at Diamante to buying from your local green grocer as opposed to a Wal-Mart.

Diamante co-president Paolo Palamara, trained as an architect, reworked the plans for the 1,700-square-foot two-bedroom residence to meet their needs.

He rejigged the kitchen freeing up space, extended walls and relocated the gas fireplace. More recently, Mr. Palamara was coaxing an extra few inches out of the laundry room for storage of brooms, mops and other cleaning implements.

Mr. Purves and Ms. Palmer couldn't be happier. "We found other units and townhouses we looked at were narrow and deep, and there was a problem with light penetration. With this unit, we get an enormous amount of light, and a huge patio."

They also appreciate the overall plans for the environmentally-friendly building with its high-quality exterior and interior finishes.

"The design is sensitive and of a scale that we were interested in," says Mr. Purves, who soon discovered his development industry contacts knew the project and Diamante's work well. "Many places we saw, they talk about design as a commodity, but here we were looking at design as an art, as the building blocks for a project."

The Building: 83 suites in a 21-storey luxury condominium set in a 4-storey podium.

The Amenities: 24-hour concierge and valet service, rooftop garden, fitness centre and indoor pool, party room with catering kitchen, wine cellar, landscaped grounds. Unobstructed views over Yorkville and Rosedale.

The Designers: Architects Hariri Pontarini, Gluckstein Design Planning, Architects Young + Wright.

The Developer: Diamante Development Corp., an award-winning developer and builder. Projects include One Balmoral, Domus, Phoebe on Queen, 2 Roxborough, One City Hall.

Suites: From 1,500 square feet to 5,000 square feet, now starting at $1 million. (Custom designs still possible for a short time.)

Presentation Gallery: 100 Davenport Rd. Includes a 2,700-square-foot model suite. Contact: (416) 599-7667 or theflorian.com

LIFE IN FINE DETAIL

Elegance is what has guided your life. And now perhaps you're taking a serious look at your residential options. A new home that offers more streamlined living, while still offering grace, stature and dimension. Welcome to The Florian. We could articulate such features as ten foot ceilings, ceilings glass curtain walls, walls museum quality brick, fabulous gardens, fitness centre, rooftop terrace and bar, party room with catering kitchen and swimming pool. We could boast about our 24-hour concierge and valet service. We could say that, with a mere 83 suites, you are going to receive unparalleled service. But, we'd rather show you the real thing, at the top of Bay Street and Davenport in our gorgeous 2,700 square foot model suite at our presentation gallery.

Luxury Condominiums from $1 million to over $3 million to book your private appointment at our presentation gallery, located at 100 Davenport Road Toronto: 416 599 7667

The Florian, The Residences of Upper Yorkville, Bay & Davenport. www.theflorian.com

Construction start fall 2008

Construction financing in place

Prices and specifications subject to change without notice. E. & O. E. Illustrations are artist's concept. Actual photo of model suite.

Brokers welcome & protected.

Back