News   Apr 18, 2024
 474     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 3.7K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.2K     4 

YRT/Viva Construction Thread (Rapidways, Terminals)

regardless of how effective it is now and what they can do to improve, credit where its due for actually building it in relative on time and on budget, despite the 2009 cutbacks. We complain now, but they have laid a good foundation for the future expansion and future proofing. Try doing this again for a similar price in 10 years time. Chances are theyll be stuck in forever limbo due to funding

Yeah, building around transit corridors is definitely a good idea. But I find York Region's approach to be strange. Punting on all transit related service in the near term with the hope that development in the medium to long run will induce transit usage. It isn't mutually exclusive to work on both. Especially when operations are funded and governed at a more local level relative to the funding they receive for these capital projects.

I don't think that's what's happening. They're not building "Around transit corridors." They are creating new transit corridors and there is massive development happening in the short term, much of which has gone up ahead of the actual transit (e.g. the highrise development along Yonge, around 16th). Clearly they need to do what they can to ensure that development is "transit-oriented" and actually generating new Viva riders and, yes, that's not going to happen if service is infrequent, not connected to local service, GO etc.

There's been a bit of one-step forward, one-step back. Clearly there are issues with the operation side of things - I don't think anyone is disputing that - I'm just saying that to view it solely through that lens is missing the larger point. It is creating new development in the short term which would not otherwise be there, which was part of the point. Now that it's happening, they have to ramp up the operations side of things (though, in fairness, the pandemic isn't the best time for that) or all that effort they've put in won't come to fruition.

I've only lived in Richmond Hill and Aurora, but I've always remembered the bus-rail connections to be pretty decent. And the Viva frequencies are OK on the main section of yonge (though hwy7, yonge north, and davis need some work)

I'm saying that at the same time, York Region lacks a lot credibility with respect to transit operations. How can you plan for running rapid transit in the medium run, when you can't build political consensus and management ability to run regular bus service frequently. I don't think that's an unfair criticism, and neither is it something that should be ignored just because you can do a good job building a capital project.

Also, re-reading your post, we aren't disagreeing about the need for better operations. I'm mainly highlighting that there should be greater emphasis on pushing for that, given that they are very low-hanging fruit changes and necessary for future success.

Yes - we're agreeing :)
I'm just saying that as correct as you are about the transit operations issues, Viva has to be seen both as a transit project AND a city-building project. The verdict is not in on the latter, but it is definitely going in the right direction and that buys them a little leeway with the former, in the short term. But they're going to have to solve the operations side in the not-too-distant future to give the project the credibility it needs and to realize its long-term potential.

I've only lived in Richmond Hill and Aurora, but I've always remembered the bus-rail connections to be pretty decent. And the Viva frequencies are OK on the main section of yonge (though hwy7, yonge north, and davis need some work)
Not outside rush hour though, with a bus every 16 or 34 mins (not a factor of 60) while the train comes every hour.

I don't think the VIVA BRT is the primary factor driving the York Region condo developments. It's probably more that land prices are high enough it's become profitable for commercial landlords to sell plazas for redevelopment.

Last edited:
Not outside rush hour though, with a bus every 16 or 34 mins (not a factor of 60) while the train comes every hour.
Yeah, good point about that. I remember once I was trying to get downtown, and hopped on a bus that stopped right outside the station entrance. There was no schedule alignment and I arrived basically as the train pulling out. It's a shame how little cooperation happens between levels of transit agencies.

Yeah, good point about that. I remember once I was trying to get downtown, and hopped on a bus that stopped right outside the station entrance. There was no schedule alignment and I arrived basically as the train pulling out. It's a shame how little cooperation happens between levels of transit agencies.
Will have to wait until GO trains are every 15 mins or less, then it will further emphasize YRT's infrequent bus connections.

Side note: It is cheaper to take a few stops on GO Transit in York Region than taking YRT.

Will have to wait until GO trains are every 15 mins or less, then it will further emphasize YRT's infrequent bus connections.

Side note: It is cheaper to take a few stops on GO Transit in York Region than taking YRT.

it’s also cheaper to take zum instead of Viva Orange

bandicam 2020-08-23 16-14-07-556.jpg

Just in cases you are wondering when the Cornell bus terminal will open, it will open by the end of this year.

^And it will widen the headways because of increased travel distance to the terminal. Route 16 that will get 24 mins service in September will probably be 26 mins by the end of the year.

Tip: Always take the stouffville/barrie or RH corridor of go buses if you are near them in york region. Also take zum if you are on highway 7, and viva only if it is necessary on hwy 7/yonge

^Basically, if you're in York Region - avoid YRT lol
I forgot one other thing, feel free to take the ttc routes in york region (with the exception of 102 that route is even more atrocious than some collector yrt routes and you’re better off taking go bus 54/71), as well as the fact that you might be lucky to just pay one fare to the subway lmao

Back