News   Jul 02, 2020
 72     0 
News   Jul 02, 2020
 247     0 
News   Jul 02, 2020
 200     0 

YRT/Viva Construction Thread (Rapidways, Terminals)

raptor

Member Bio
Reaction score
They’re paving the intersection of Newestminster and Centre today. Looks like the Region is trying to get Centre Street finished within the next few weeks. The new Promenade Viva stop is now lighted up at night.
Centre St and Bathurst, as well as Hwy 7 west sections are all supposed to be completed this year.

shortbranch

Member Bio
Reaction score
Only to service the busway. Garbage trucks to empty the bins at the stops, plows to clear the lanes, service trucks to fix things that are broken.

All other uses are prohibited by YRT. Several drivers have gotten in trouble for ignoring this edict over the years.

Dan
Emergency services vehicles can also use the lanes for VIVA and Non VIVA emergencies

TransitBart

Member Bio
Reaction score
Nice.

Now coming from the person least qualified to comment, yet observant.
1. Interchange stations are a bit larger and have a bus pictogram.
2. Finch West doesn’t qualify yet.
3. Neither does Downsview Park although it has a fully open and active GO interchange connection.
4. York U GO Station - on life support - gets a prominent green GO icon.

Two steps forward....

johntauren

Member Bio
Reaction score
Nice.

Now coming from the person least qualified to comment, yet observant.
1. Interchange stations are a bit larger and have a bus pictogram.
2. Finch West doesn’t qualify yet.
3. Neither does Downsview Park although it has a fully open and active GO interchange connection.
4. York U GO Station - on life support - gets a prominent green GO icon.

Two steps forward....
The Bus icon is for YRT buses.
YRT doesn't service Finch West, but they do service Sheppard West still.

innsertnamehere

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
I'm really interested to "try it out" to be honest. These median interchange MUPs have been common in the US for a while, but they are usually in very low pedestrian activity areas. This one will likely see more pedestrians than those, with people walking to and from the subway, especially from the condos on the west side of the 400. While the reality is that it is very safe, my concern is more how comfortable it feels. I'm a little more doubtful on that. It strikes me as very much being an "engineers solution" based on efficiency and measurable metrics, not actual human comfort and enjoyment.

Last edited:

Leo_Chan

Member Bio
Reaction score
I'm really interested to "try it out" to be honest. These median interchange MUPs have been common in the US for a while, but they are usually in very low pedestrian activity areas. This one will likely see more pedestrians than those, with people walking to and from the subway, especially from the condos on the west side of the 400. While the reality is that it is very safe, my concern is more how comfortable it feels. I'm a little more doubtful on that. It strikes me as very much being an "engineers solution" based on efficiency and measurable metrics, not actual human comfort and enjoyment.
Don’t forget about crossing the street at the centre at the two Highway 400 exits’ intersections. With traffic moving on both sides, the crosswalk even with the bus lane buffer is going to feel stressful. Unless that’s not how the traffic phasing works.

Woodbridge_Heights

Member Bio
Reaction score
I doubt many people will be walking from the Hwy 7 and Weston area condos to the subway. There's a VIVA station at Weston and 7 that will take you right to the subway, fare integration will make this even more of a no brainer. Honestly I don't see this path getting much use.

jaybe

Member Bio
Reaction score
^it would be insane to run on that path
It would bother me more as a pedestrian than a runner. As a runner, I wouldn't mind that route, it is shielded from traffic which is my priority. As a pedestrian, the ambiance and exposure to the elements are more important. The bridge will be noisy and loud, it is not pedestrian friendly at all.