News   Mar 28, 2024
 289     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 258     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 292     0 

YRT/Viva Construction Thread (Rapidways, Terminals)

I'm really interested to "try it out" to be honest. These median interchange MUPs have been common in the US for a while, but they are usually in very low pedestrian activity areas. This one will likely see more pedestrians than those, with people walking to and from the subway, especially from the condos on the west side of the 400. While the reality is that it is very safe, my concern is more how comfortable it feels. I'm a little more doubtful on that. It strikes me as very much being an "engineers solution" based on efficiency and measurable metrics, not actual human comfort and enjoyment.

Last edited:
I'm really interested to "try it out" to be honest. These median interchange MUPs have been common in the US for a while, but they are usually in very low pedestrian activity areas. This one will likely see more pedestrians than those, with people walking to and from the subway, especially from the condos on the west side of the 400. While the reality is that it is very safe, my concern is more how comfortable it feels. I'm a little more doubtful on that. It strikes me as very much being an "engineers solution" based on efficiency and measurable metrics, not actual human comfort and enjoyment.
Don’t forget about crossing the street at the centre at the two Highway 400 exits’ intersections. With traffic moving on both sides, the crosswalk even with the bus lane buffer is going to feel stressful. Unless that’s not how the traffic phasing works.

I doubt many people will be walking from the Hwy 7 and Weston area condos to the subway. There's a VIVA station at Weston and 7 that will take you right to the subway, fare integration will make this even more of a no brainer. Honestly I don't see this path getting much use.

^it would be insane to run on that path

It would bother me more as a pedestrian than a runner. As a runner, I wouldn't mind that route, it is shielded from traffic which is my priority. As a pedestrian, the ambiance and exposure to the elements are more important. The bridge will be noisy and loud, it is not pedestrian friendly at all.

It would be nice if they could paint the pavement, like the bridge in Brampton (https://www.google.com/search?q=franceschini+bridge), and put planters or benches or things along it to make it not so sterile. Otherwise it's probably a lot more comfortable than walking on a thin sidewalk at the edge of fast moving traffic, and having to cross uncontrolled highway ramps. I'm interested in giving it a try on my bike.

That's assuming that YRT allows ZUM buses to use it. Considering that they don't even allow their own vehicles to use the already open sections elsewhere, it wouldn't surprise me if the ZUM buses were relegated to the regular traffic lanes.

Dan

I was able to confirm that Züm uses the new Rapidway. 501 buses use the [takes deep breath] SmartCentres Place Bus Terminal at Vaughan Metropolitan Centre to layover and turn around.

CD7F9D51-46B0-43E2-8814-A2D210A52872.jpeg

Here's a few construction photos from recently. Everything between Bernard and 16th is from inside the bus.

16th SB (structure done, glass side coming soon?)
IMG_20200113_112125_MP.jpg

Weldrick SB

IMG_20200113_112604_MP.jpg

Major Mac NB? (North of mac is the heritage area). Appears to be still in foundation stage
IMG_20200113_113033.jpg

Elgin Mills NB. Structure and glass are in.
IMG_20200113_113728.jpg

Bernard NB (Foundation?)
IMG_20200113_114045.jpg

Bernard SB. They put the tarps up last week, and there's currently an air compressor running at the stop. Can't see inside. Structure and glass are done.
IMG_20200113_114017.jpg

They also have hundreds of lane dividers sitting on pallets along most of the route.
IMG_20200113_112458.jpg

Back