News   Dec 13, 2019
 967     16 
News   Dec 13, 2019
 1.5K     3 
News   Dec 13, 2019
 714     1 

YRT/Viva Construction Thread (Rapidways, Terminals)

Neutrino

Member Bio
Reaction score
If only those balloons were red, it would have been a scene from It

Reecemartin

Member Bio
Reaction score
[Crossposting from TTC: Other Items (catch all)]

We went to check out SmartCentres Place bus terminal and Vaughan Metropolitan Centre as a whole, and we were thoroughly impressed! The station really shaped up to be very nice, even though the terminal is not that busy just yet.

ViveleCanada

Member Bio
Reaction score

The bus lanes between VMC and Bruce street are set to open by the end of this month. They have already begun driver training in the new section (at this link). Monitoring their twitter account, the bus lanes along Centre street and Bathurst seems to have gotten bogged down by the early snow and heavy amounts of British weather so they have been tweeting out a stream of paving cancellations. One cheeky note is that the YRT website no longer explicitly state that Helen and Commerce stations will open on the 24th of November (link). It now says:

Two new vivastations will be open for service soon at Wigwoss-Helen and Commerce. Please note the YRT Trip Planner, YRT app and Google Maps incorrectly display these vivastations as in service. Check yrt.ca for updates.
Not really a big deal though as the 24th is only one week away from the end of November.

Last edited:

innsertnamehere

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Exciting stuff! I wonder how much time the lanes will save over the existing schedule. This stretch will be doubly useful for ZUM buses as well.

These VIVA projects have been around so long (hard to believe the stretch in Markham is already 5 years old) that it's good to finally see the whole thing start to wrap up. The investment really has changed the face of much of York Region.. The Yonge St lanes are going to make a huge difference when they are done next year too.

smallspy

Member Bio
Reaction score
This stretch will be doubly useful for ZUM buses as well.
That's assuming that YRT allows ZUM buses to use it. Considering that they don't even allow their own vehicles to use the already open sections elsewhere, it wouldn't surprise me if the ZUM buses were relegated to the regular traffic lanes.

Dan

johntauren

Member Bio
Reaction score
That's assuming that YRT allows ZUM buses to use it. Considering that they don't even allow their own vehicles to use the already open sections elsewhere, it wouldn't surprise me if the ZUM buses were relegated to the regular traffic lanes.

Dan
There was a tweet this morning from Brampton Transit saying they would be using it, including stopping at the new stops, but it's now gone.

innsertnamehere

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score

Dan
some of their own vehicles don't use it because they have to make "local" stops, no?

smallspy

Member Bio
Reaction score
some of their own vehicles don't use it because they have to make "local" stops, no?
They don't allow deadheading vehicles of any sort to use the corridors. And they don't allow the supervisor vehicles to, either.

The only vehicles that they deem worthy of using the bus lanes are in-service VIVA buses and nothing else.

Dan

Woodbridge_Heights

Member Bio
Reaction score
They don't allow deadheading vehicles of any sort to use the corridors. And they don't allow the supervisor vehicles to, either.

The only vehicles that they deem worthy of using the bus lanes are in-service VIVA buses and nothing else.

Dan

Why should my bus be stuck behind a dead heading bus?

Leo_Chan

Member Bio
Reaction score

Dan
I've seen snow plows, garbage trucks, and service vehicles use the lanes.

smallspy

Member Bio
Reaction score
I've seen snow plows, garbage trucks, and service vehicles use the lanes.
Only to service the busway. Garbage trucks to empty the bins at the stops, plows to clear the lanes, service trucks to fix things that are broken.

All other uses are prohibited by YRT. Several drivers have gotten in trouble for ignoring this edict over the years.

Dan

yrt+viva=1system

Member Bio
Reaction score
They’re paving the intersection of Newestminster and Centre today. Looks like the Region is trying to get Centre Street finished within the next few weeks. The new Promenade Viva stop is now lighted up at night.