News   Apr 25, 2024
 299     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 956     3 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1K     0 

Yonge Street Revitalization (Downtown Yonge BIA/City of Toronto)

Steve Munro has a report on the TTC Board meeting last week where they discuss changes art College Station.

College

At College, the second entrance construction includes the elevator access to the platform. This will not be provided at the main (north) entrance at College/Carlton, but further south through the College Park (former Eaton’s College Street) building.

The view below shows the south end of the station under Yonge Street. Both the new sets of stairs and the elevators will lead to a new concourse that will be built under Yonge Street with a connection into the lower level of College Park. Riders will use elevators in that building to reach street level.

As part of this work, Yonge Street will be reconfigured at street level by the removal of the existing median and widening of sidewalks on both sides of the street. This is part of a larger proposal called “yongeTOmorrow” to rethink the design of Yonge from College south to Queen with expanded space for pedestrians and limited auto access. Current plans call for this to reach Council for approval in December 2020, but whether it will be approved there remain

1595086137452.png

The city recently put out a video on YongeTOmorrow. They took feedback from us and here's whats summarized: Everyone really loves the idea of a pedestrian priority area! Many asked for the need for bike lanes, need for deliveries/rideshare. Cycle tracks are now part of the design for a certain section.

The website hasn't updated yet. So we'll get more details soon.

The new YongeTOmorrow consultation materials are now live.

The Recommended Design Concept is 4c – Pedestrian Priority Zones with One-Way Driving Access (Gerrard Street to Walton Street & Elm Street to Edward Street) and Cycle Tracks (College Street to Gerrard Street).

The section between Edward and Dundas Square would be pedestrian/cyclist only except after 1AM, when automatic gates would open to allow for 320 Yonge night buses (or any other situation, such as shuttle buses or emergency access). There would be limited vehicular access between Shuter and Dundas Square, between Elm and Edward, and between Walton and Gerrard.

The 97B would be discontinued or rerouted (via Church Street?).

It's a compromise, but it's a solid improvement over the existing.

On balance, I quite like it.

Drastic improvement over the status quo, that's for sure!

Lots of new trees, new space for patios, wider sidewalks, interlocking pavers for both sidewalks and roads....

Automatic bollards/gates that would limit vehicle access to the overnight period but allow for the Yonge night bus and/or shuttle buses. (that was an important revision which I pushed for.....I'm sure others did as well)

Looks pretty awesome. I wish the went for more pedestrian only areas especially around Ryerson but the closing off of some parts will definitely discourage most drivers!

Looks pretty awesome. I wish the went for more pedestrian only areas especially around Ryerson but the closing off of some parts will definitely discourage most drivers!
I think it's fine if the speeds and volumes are managed. Cars are 'guests' in the space.

I think it's fine if the speeds and volumes are managed. Cars are 'guests' in the space.

The weird thing is that in Toronto, I often see people walking on the sidewalks when streets are temporarily pedestrianized. I've often biked on the ActiveTO shared streets during the pandemic and have rarely seen anyone actually walking on the roadway. The notion that "streets are for cars and sidewalks are for walking" is very deeply ingrained here such that I wouldn't be surprised if no one walked in the roadway even if cars are "guests" in the space.

The weird thing is that in Toronto, I often see people walking on the sidewalks when streets are temporarily pedestrianized. I've often biked on the ActiveTO shared streets during the pandemic and have rarely seen anyone actually walking on the roadway. The notion that "streets are for cars and sidewalks are for walking" is very deeply ingrained here such that I wouldn't be surprised if no one walked in the roadway even if cars are "guests" in the space.

There will be a period of adjustment.

I'll believe it when I see it.

Unfortunately, any plans for this will be inhibited for a few years by all the construction slated along Yonge Street.

I think the paving will have to make it clear (ie, the whole surface should be more or less contiguous pavers. The curbs should probably also be eliminated. Maybe some subtle cues as lane marking for when it is open to vehicle traffic. It feels totally foreign to walk on the roads, just like walking on a street you've only ever driven on. Takes some getting used to.

This was common even on Gould Street at Ryerson prior to the rebuild, even with it having been pedestrianized for years. 80% of people would continue to stick to the crowded sidewalks even with the massive street being mostly empty.

Old habits die hard.

I think a lot if has to do with the grade change of a curb however - eliminate the curb like they are planning here and I bet people will spill out into the "street" part of the roadway more.

This was common even on Gould Street at Ryerson prior to the rebuild, even with it having been pedestrianized for years. 80% of people would continue to stick to the crowded sidewalks even with the massive street being mostly empty.

Old habits die hard.

I think a lot if has to do with the grade change of a curb however - eliminate the curb like they are planning here and I bet people will spill out into the "street" part of the roadway more.

I believe the "street" is the entire public allowance, including the sidewalk and vehicular space. The "roadway" is the part travelled by cars. I think you're right about the effects of paving and urban design, but it'll take some time for people to get used to it. Moreover, if they leave bollards up between the sidewalk and roadway, people will probably stick to the sidewalk even if legally they can walk on the roadway.

Back