News   Jul 12, 2024
 684     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 646     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 287     0 

U of T: New Varsity Stadium (Diamond + Schmitt)

Pics from Bloor Street, May 13, 2007:

I think it could be worse. Actually, it looks OK, but just seems so, well, small and underwhelming.

Var1.jpg

Var2.jpg

Var3.jpg

Var4.jpg

i have no problem that they retained the stadium/field, but i honestly think they made a mistake by not adding some sort of building lining Bloor- I believe they had the space to even set it back enough to have a small parkette in front..Alas, this is what we have now..

p5

Wasted prime real estate, all I've got to say about it. After seeing the ROM pics, I guess I get to get disappointed somewhere... It's how the universe works.

Absolutely should have had shallow retail for continuity on Bloor and to hide that dreadful bubble in the winter. They sure dropped the ball on this one (no pun)

i have no problem that they retained the stadium/field, but i honestly think they made a mistake by not adding some sort of building lining Bloor- I believe they had the space to even set it back

^ Agree, and you're right re the space to set it back from Bloor (there was a parking lot at the south end of the original stadium). I just don't understand what they were thinking here. That said, the stadium looks pretty good, so far, thankfully.

Though I dread the arrival of The Bubble...

I'm surprised they didn't opt for a joint use facility. There is really no reason the stadium couldn't have been built above the ground floor. I'm surprised that the new facility has so little seating as well. Does UofT play their regular season games somewhere else or is their school fan base that low?

Attendance is usually quite low at university events. In fact those modest stands will be half empty at football games, which is probably the schools biggest sports draw. I have no great problem with the bare bones design or the property remaining a sports field, afterall it has been there for a very longtime. However the lack of effort at addressing appearances is a little worrying. I suspect it's a funding issue.

Attendance is usually quite low at university events. In fact those modest stands will be half empty at football games, which is probably the schools biggest sports draw. I have no great problem with the bare bones design or the property remaining a sports field, afterall it has been there for a very longtime. However the lack of effort at addressing appearances is a little worrying. I suspect it's a funding issue.

U of T has never graduated anyone from the sports realm that can give back a few million to make it look better...looks like a high-school stadium from the U.S.

Attendance is usually quite low at university events. In fact those modest stands will be half empty at football games, which is probably the schools biggest sports draw. I .

Well don't forget that UfT's football program has been dreadfull for atleast a decade. I read somewhere that they havn't won a game since 2001. And when I went to college between 95-99, they were an easy beat, barely winning a game in a season, if they were lucky. My old school WLU, the university stadium filled out pretty well at football games, especially for a school of its small size. And Western Games are very well attended indeed as well. OK fine, I will cut to the chase, the reason why UfT attendance is so low is cause they suck, and they have sucked for an abnormally long time. So you can't gauge CIS football attendance based upon one crappy team. If they had an average football team over the years, thoses stands would be on the light side.

varsity stadium

While I'd be the last person to defend the design of the seating, I thought I would point out that the new running track is considered by athletes to be the best in the city. There are pitifully few decent facilities in Toronto for track athletes to train. The Metro Toronto track centre at York University does not have the high quality outdoor track that Varsity Stadium has. So they didn't stint on what was necessary in building this facility. I have a close relative who is a track athlete and competes at high level competitions. You need both decent indoor and outdoor facilities to prepare for competitions. If our athletes are ever going to be ever to train in Canada for international competitions they need places like this. So let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Also U of T has planted a lot of trees around the stadium and they take care of their trees. in a few years the trees will block out the most egregious elements of the design and create the illusion of a bit of a green oasis in the middle of the city. And who says the whole street has to be street level retail? I think the sudden appearance of a place like this along a major street adds to the complexity that makes up any grown up city.

I am glad that the stadium has not been hidden from Bloor Street by retail. When events are on at the stadium it will be interesting to see what amount of crowd gathers along Bloor to watch.

I know that those events will be few and far between, but even when nothing is happening at Varsity, I think it's fine to have 'breathers' along streetscapes when there is some other special use, such as this one. An exception to the rule lends importance to the results.

Absolutely should have had shallow retail for continuity on Bloor

But the south side of Bloor between University and Spadina has virtually no retail for there to be any continuity.

Initially I too was hoping for some kind of structure and/or retial to front Bloor, but I'm happy with the way the project has turned out and like the open space next to the ROM & RCM.

^ Agree, and you're right re the space to set it back from Bloor (there was a parking lot at the south end of the original stadium). I just don't understand what they were thinking here

The parking lot south of the site belongs to Trinity College...the Varsity site can fit either a building with retail fronting Bloor or a full-sized track, not both.

I like it as it is quiet and the view from the street is not bad what so ever. The bubble sucks but will only be out in winter when I prefer to keep my head down tucked in between my shoulder blades anyway.

Back