News   Aug 09, 2024
 549     2 
News   Aug 09, 2024
 555     0 
News   Aug 09, 2024
 1.9K     2 

U of T: New Varsity Stadium (Diamond + Schmitt)

It'll have 2 or 3 units of retail, but even then, it'll be token retail of the Starbucks variety and a net loss of stores compared to all the stuff the condo replaced.

The old Varsity stadium had so much more character then this will ever have. It should have been protected and restored. The old stadium could hold 22,000, how many can this hold?

I agree Andrew. I also don't like the way the RCM addition interacts with the old building.

The seating on this one is 5,000, I believe.

When it first went up, I didn't realise that the building behind the lights was RCM, and not part of the stadium.

Am I only one who is pleasantly surprised by this project? The street elements are excellent (something that cannot be claimed for the ROM "Plaza") and there's a certain excitement in having a bona fide Olympic quality track virtually abutting the sidewalk. They've also put in a nifty little viewing platform on the North-west corner that is wheelchair accessible. And don't forget the view of the downtown skyline from Bloor St. I much prefer this to the hulking old Varsity stadium which gave nothing to the street except a bank machine and some phonebooths.

You are not the only one. The space has been opened up and there's a nice view to the south across the track, the University sports tradition is maintained, variety and surprise is added to the walk along Bloor, and the structure is contemporary in style.

I agree with Irishmonk. I like the streetscaping on Bloor (its the best streetscaping between Ave and Spadina) and I like the fact that its more open than the old version. Yes, it looks like it was done on the cheap but the form and the street execution is just fine.

I like what they've done here. I like the way that RCM and the stadium appear somewhat as one. It's good to mix things up in cities here and there.

500 seats are usually enough.

I mentioned this in the big update thread, but a box office underneath a "beacon" are going in that void next to RCM, so they will really become one indistinguishable mass. They're spending $500,000 on it, so it could be rather small and simple...no extruded aluminum siding or lasers.

I drove by there the other night after soccer. The stadium lights were on and the field was a hive of sporting activity. I must say that between the quality of the field, the activity and the skyline backdrop the visual experience really makes me think more positively about this project.

Because of the way the turf in this stadium is designed, it can't be used for any Olympic events.

Back