News   Jul 12, 2024
 764     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 693     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 302     0 

U of T: New Varsity Stadium (Diamond + Schmitt)

"Leave those fences alone."

Hey, I'm certainly not the one clamouring for a westward extension of Mink Mile. Perhaps in the past I made an offhand remark about moving Osgoode Hall's fence but I wasn't serious. Anyway, if York Club's wall/fence was removed, it'd mostly just expose the parking lot that occupies the whole backyard.

"Yup, there are parts of Bloor that strive to be world-class and just miss by a hair."

If Bloor is the best we can do working our way towards world classiness, maybe we shouldn't bother anymore.

"But why not build some retail along the Bloor frontage, and why not two or three floors of offices or, God help us, condo apartments?"

Where? No, really, where? A 200 foot² Gucci kiosk underneath the bleachers? I've got a message for you: Hermes would never rent that space. A condo cantilevered over the bubble? The track practically cuts into the sidewalk, so where can they find the space for a condo, let alone the parking ramp and virtual golf room (they'd need a virtual golf room since removing the bubble removes the driving range).

The site plan is not perfect, but it's U of T, what did you expect? If the stadium ate part or all of Devonshire, maybe a Prada kiosk could squeeze in next to it, but I really don't think a random scattering of leasable retail units will do anything to expand the high-end district west of Avenue, especially given what's across the street. Why must the "mixed-use" mantra always result in token retail at street level that more than likely will be little more than nasty little cubbyhole? The stadium itself does more to create a mixed-use street than yet another Second Cup will (and since Starbucks will probably win the corner spot at 1 Bedford, Second Cup is next in the line of succession at this intersection).

"But why not build some retail along the Bloor frontage, and why not two or three floors of offices or, God help us, condo apartments?"

Indeed it was built with very little respect for Bloor street and the RCOM. You wouldn't erect a college grandstand along the magnificant mile. If the stadium 'had' to stay, then in the very least they should have addressed the north end. Personally I would gladly welcome a row of shops over the current blight- even if they are along the lines of Second Cup or Timothy's.

^good lord, did somebody beat you with a 'Prada' purse as a child??

Valid points Observer!

I admire the aristocratic disdain for the forces of Mammon, evinced by the decision of the University to renovate their sports facility for the continued use of their students - and nobody else.

They've opened up the space to full view, for the rest of the city to enjoy. People rushing past in a frantic bid to buy as much overpriced junk on Bloor Street, or to see as many blockbuster exhibits in our cultural centres, can rest their eyes on this unique green space, and on the students using it, and contemplate alternatives.

"good lord, did somebody beat you with a 'Prada' purse as a child??"

Did someone try to drown you in a bubble bath?

"...and contemplate alternatives."

Like where the heck can I go to get away from this dreadful crosswind and find a decent pub or coffee shop :b

If a bit of Devonshire was consumed, they'd have enough flexibility to put a pub in one corner or the other...most likely the west corner, underneath the stands (which could have been flipped).

I just don't get it. This facility was a sports field long before the first high-end store opened on Bloor Street. I still can't figure out how it's a horrible travesty that a coffee shop or clothing store hasn't been wedged into the site. I also don't see where these uses could possibly be located. I'd like to see the U of T campus stay a university campus, and not a site for condos. While I wouldn't necessarily object to a residence or other university building, I just don't see where you would fit it. Just look at the site. The stands are already built over top of the Varsity Arena, a heritage site which can't be torn down. The regulation track and football field already stretches from the side walk down to the south end of the site.

VarsityARIAL%20copy.jpg

Most of it's still there...I don't remember if any part was removed or not, but I'm thinking a bit was, to the east.

There'd be room for stuff along Bloor, probably even a residence or condos, if the track was eliminated.

^In my opinion a proper track is a better asset to the area than the continuation of the retail strip (although I also favour such a continuation). I am not however privy to the reason why the whole track couldn't have been shifted south to accommodate something else along the Bloor frontage.

Land to the south is Trinity's and they're keeping it.

I'm not sure if the track is vital or not, but the only way to put anything along Bloor bigger than a pokey little pub under the bleachers would be to remove it - I think the previous plans did remove the track. Whether or not the track is useful/will be used, there is no retail strip here to continue.

The rendering clearly shows that this bold move will result in a series of related structures that will hold their own against the other developments in the area, including the ROM and the RCM.

Back