News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.6K     5 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 542     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.3K     0 

U of T: New Varsity Stadium (Diamond + Schmitt)

B

billonlogan

Varsity Stadium construction slow but steady
Building to be done in phases

Courtesy: www.insideToronto.com
CARRIE BRUNET
May. 24, 2006

The shovels are in the ground and the foundation is being laid but building a stadium from the ground up may take more time than originally anticipated.
While the much talked about reconstruction of Varsity Stadium began late last year, the process has been slow, in assuring that everything is done properly.

"We are moving along," said Bruce Kidd, dean of physical education at the University of Toronto. "We haven't awarded all the contracts yet."

Kidd explained that the process is "complicated" and the construction schedule is not quite yet finalized.

Originally slated to open for September of this year, Kidd said it was more likely to be sometime in the fall.

"The fall is a long period," said Kidd. "That's a pretty broad window."

"We want this to be an excellent facility and have taken a little more time to make sure we have it absolutely right," he added.

Reconstruction of Varsity Stadium has been discussed at length at the university over the last few years and was a project Kidd hoped to see finished before he retired from his position as dean.

Many failed attempts to form partnerships (with Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment in 2003, and with the Toronto Argonauts and the Canadian Soccer Association in 2004), for a 25,000-seat stadium have resulted in a smaller scale stadium funded largely by the University and a capital campaign.

The complete project is expected to cost $56 million, and the University is spending $16.3 million on the project, leaving a $40 million gap to fundraise.

The construction will be completed in phases, with a 5,000-seat grandstand, state-of-the-art artificial surfaced playing field, an eight-lane track, change rooms, lighting and an electronic scoreboard as part of the first phase while the second phase will include an all-weather bubble for winter playing.

The third and fourth stages which include a four-storey building with teaching and training facilities and significant improvements to Varsity Arena, will be funded by the $40-million capital campaign.

According to Kidd, two co-chairs have been chosen to head up the campaign, both are former athletes and students from the University of Toronto - Gordon Cunningham and Karen Petre.
-------------------------

It's too bad CSA, Argonauts and MLS&E could not make a go of it at this site.

Just wondering if any of the forum members know that Bruce Kidd, the Dean, was one of the worlds premier middle distance runners in the early sixties.

With that big building taking over the south side of the field, the skyline view is ruined for spectators in the stands.

^ that's true.

Also, the track is so close to the north wall that it pretty much precludes any future construction on the north end. So much for that stretch of Bloor.

"the skyline view is ruined for spectators in the stands."

There is no worthwhile skyline view looking west at Bloor here. Or do you have so little faith in U of T's teams (football, heh) that you assume fans will be watching the CN Tower rather than the field?

"So much for that stretch of Bloor."

You're overreacting...that stretch has been a stadium for a century and everyone knew that Bloor's transformation would stop creeping west at this point due to Varsity, OISE, York Club, etc...nor should it plow through these properties.

"Are they keeping the old wall along Bloor?"

The wall seems to be in pretty rough shape, so they may keep a wall but not necessarily the wall. I haven't heard one way or the other and the renderings aren't nearly detailed enough.

Or do you have so little faith in U of T's teams (football, heh) that you assume fans will be watching the CN Tower rather than the field?

I never had any faith in them- I'm from Ryerson (I never had any faith in Ryerson's teams either).

I don't mind it. I think it suits its purpose: a University sports field.

We shouldn't expect an international all-purpose stadium (The Ex stadium, THAT is another case).

I like how it meets Bloor. Passersby will be able to see the field and events going on in it. I don't think that its proximity to the street precludes any further construction to the North. There is still room for let's say, a glass curtain wall along the street and an entrance on the North-East or North-West corner.

I wonder what kind of fencing will go up around the N and W sides. I love how the rendering shows it as open though I cannot see U of T keeping it that way. Could they not be liable if some fool (such as yours truly) tried to show off to his friends how fast he was and blows a knee on the track?

Imagine being able to casually stroll down Bloor and catch the end of a decent varsity soccer match! Turn around for a performance or two next door and hit the ROM to see their latest - If a city block can be metrosexual then this is it!

and with Club Monaco right there too!!!

nassauone:

U of T is in the process of planning to take back the Club Monaco site (Lilian Massey Bldg) and turn it into the University Arts Centre/Gallery.

AoD

Still sounds good and metro to me! as long as it is not a TGIF's!

I can't help but be annoyed at these frustrated academics who squandered an opportunity to have the Millenium Group build a large scale mixed-use development here which would have incorporated a stadium. Having a playing field right on Bloor is a total waste of real estate - as far as I'm concerned UofT is throwing away millions of dollars.

There is no worthwhile skyline view looking west at Bloor here

Actually this is one of the few places along Bloor with where the street opens up and you get a beautiful view of the downtown.

Similarly to the stadium thread (about the great views from the latest American baseball parks of skylines), U of T should try to keep the view corridor to the skyline open here. The building at the south end of the lot will definitely block this, but I guess it is better placement than the north or west ends.

I think they're keeping the brick wall...if they were going to tear it down, it would have gone already since they've put up fencing everywhere else...at least, this seems to be the case.

"Actually this is one of the few places along Bloor with where the street opens up and you get a beautiful view of the downtown."

Maybe, but I'm talking about the view from the stands, not from wherever you plunk yourself down on the road. There is no substantial skyline view from the stands since you're looking due west...you'd have to look over your shoulder to see anything other than the CN Tower and the seats towards Bloor will have no view at all no matter how much your neck turns. Just because you have a 360° view at street level when walking around Queen's Park doesn't mean you'd have the same view from the stadium's stands. Most of the seats will be barely one storey off the ground, as well.

"Having a playing field right on Bloor is a total waste of real estate - as far as I'm concerned UofT is throwing away millions of dollars."

Where else are they going to put it? Tear down a block or two of the Annex? There's been a stadium here for a century. Do you think that the Manufacturer's Life lawn is also a waste of real estate?

Back