News   Jul 12, 2024
 863     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 776     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 325     0 

U of T: New Varsity Stadium (Diamond + Schmitt)

Here's a hint: if you take small children, they will let you hang around for a long time.

They sometimes take donations for the Food Bank. I unloaded all of my Ambrose's Chinese tinned food there in 1999.

Or I could just keep tripping the alarm.

"I'm so glad they maintained the university athletic traditions of the neighbourhood and didn't build condos, or a shopping centre, or offices on this site. I like how it is wide open to view from Bloor."

I too like the idea of this field here but unfortunately, all it has offered Bloor St. in the past is a horrible brick wall. I would be happy about an upgraded field if it offers the street an athletic field and something like a wide open view to Bloor.

I'd love to see the wall replaced with a wrought iron fence, but unfortunately that would allow people to watch events at the stadium for free.

The rendering suggests the field will be completely open to view from the north and the west.

There must be a way to create a barrier that could be closed (like giant blinds) for paying events (of which there are very few) while leaving it open for most other uses of the field.

"I'm not suggesting that the stadium must not be there. Rather that a better integration to Bloor should have been part of the plan. A mixed use development, incorporating what could perhaps be a more grand and/or architecturally significant entrance to the stadium, that maintains the streetwall of what is one of the city's most luxurious and prominent thoroughfares would have been more appropriate."

Within acquiring part of Devonshire (it's almost inexcusable that they didn't) or some of Trinity's land (never gonna happen), they really don't have a lot of options...that's why the structure is raised to begin with. The playing field is within metres of both Bloor and Trinity's property. Where exactly would these mixed uses go? Some retails outlets no bigger than a food court kiosk for the sake of proclaiming "I'm mixed use! Look how urban and wonderful I am!"? A condo on top of the playing field? In a way, what could be more integrated to Bloor than a playing field that starts where the sidewalk ends and a possibly unobstructed view?

And this particular stretch is not one that most people would call luxurious in the sense you mean. OISE, the incidental park next to it, the York Club's huge brick wall, the Admissions Building's wrought iron fence, Varsity's brick wall that's been for for generations, even the Woodsworth residence is shielded from Bloor by St. George-style sidewalk planters...none of those fit into your gilded vision of "Museum Mile" but none of them are going anywhere any time soon.

It is what it is - a track/playing field open to public view, seating for the fans, and an athletics training building. Diamond + Schmitt have given us a City Room for the university athletic world.

Yeah, all those university sports, like flagpole sitting, goldfish swallowing, phone booth stuffing, panty raiding...

I won't back down on this one. I'm sure the stadium will be a quaint and quirky addition to that part of Bloor St. but ultimately a silly waste of space and a golden opportunity for U of T to cash in on this gold mine. Can you imagine a land swap enticing the Aga Khan to build the Museum of Islam - which is now going up at Wynford Drive and nowhere- built at the Varsity Stadium site? I can imagine the enormous interest this parcel of land would invite if it were up for sale or long term lease. "Well, there was an underused stadium there for 100 years when Toronto was a backwater town, so let's keep it there". This is a golden opportunity missed. The city, and U of T screwed up. I challenge anyone to prove me wrong. I'm not saying that I'd rather see condos and a shopping mall on this site but in the middle of winter when I walk by that part of Bloor Street facing either a brick wall or snow covered playing field I'll just shake my head. Small, small, bad decision.

And under your grand proposal for a museum, where would U of T Varsity Blues play out of? A makeshift football field on Bloor street?

The next phase calls for an air structure to cover the field during the winter months.

"And this particular stretch is not one that most people would call luxurious in the sense you mean. OISE, the incidental park next to it, the York Club's huge brick wall, the Admissions Building's wrought iron fence, Varsity's brick wall that's been for for generations, even the Woodsworth residence is shielded from Bloor by St. George-style sidewalk planters...none of those fit into your gilded vision of "Museum Mile" but none of them are going anywhere any time soon."

Um, have you ever heard of "development"? In which direction do you think the Bloor West commercial district and/or a 'gilded' museum mile would naturally expand? Or is there some sort of invisible moat at Avenue Road that would block this that I am not aware of??? I guess this kind of urban expansion doesn't fit into your parochial vision for this hallowed stretch of varsity real estate.

"And under your grand proposal for a museum, where would U of T Varsity Blues play out of? A makeshift football field on Bloor street?"

Who cares!! This is tax money funding sports, not even professional sports where one might argue there are some economic benefits to the city. Times are changing, even for students, and UOT is in the middle of one of the largest developing urban centres in North America. Move the Sports program to the Erindale Campus. Does NYU have a stadium along Washington Square?? If you want to major in "Football" go somewhere else to play, not along Bloor St.

Does NYU have a stadium along Washington Square

No, NYU Athletic Center is on Mercer Street, between Houston and Bleeker. But there are no development pressures in the backwater that is Greenwich Village...

It's a bit of a stretch to compare Bloor & St. George to Washington Square.

Um, have you ever heard of "development"? In which direction do you think the Bloor West commercial district and/or a 'gilded' museum mile would naturally expand? Or is there some sort of invisible moat at Avenue Road that would block this that I am not aware of??? I guess this kind of urban expansion doesn't fit into your parochial vision for this hallowed stretch of varsity real estate.

So you expect that the York Club will sell out for a new condo project? Do you think they'll tear down OISE to build a new Prada outlet? The existing uses aren't going anywhere anytime soon. It's a university neighourhood. To use your example, you don't see NYU selling out for new loft buildings and moving out to Jersey just because its neighbourhood is under development pressure.

Back