News   Jul 12, 2024
 839     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 752     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 321     0 

U of T: New Varsity Stadium (Diamond + Schmitt)

The very first thing I ever got in the mail from U of T was the latest issue of Double Blue, St. Mike's alumni/begging publication.

um what does *TILT* mean?

Pinball machine mechanism. You nudge the machine a little too much and it goes TILT on you.
bk078.jpg

The concept of TILT tended to trickle down from the pinball realm into a metaphor for all eye-glazing jaw-dropping double takes...

I still get crap from three places: Vic, the English department, and FIS. Needless to say, U of T will never see one red cent from me. But I'm moving at the end of this month, so hopefully that will soon end.

They'll find you. Alumni giving departments are better at finding people than the CIA. If only Bin Laden had gone to a Canadian university, they'd have found him long ago.

"Again, a silly response...where else is the stadium going to go? The only other thing they could do is move the facilities structure to the north end to front Bloor so that a few stores or restaurants can go in there but there's no incentive to do so when there wont be any retail on either side or across the street. Maybe everything between the RCM and Bata should be razed so that Libeskind can build more ridiculous crap on these prime sites."

^A moronic post, indeed (as long as we're tossing around gratuitous qualifications). I'd rather have Libeskind's "ridiculous crap" here than bleachers.

I don't understand this. Why is U of T building a small stadium which will get very limited use on some of the most expensive/desirable real estate in the country? This is not a good idea.

So spend your time lobbying U of T to sell off the Varsity land instead of conversing with morons like me. If the playing field does not go here, it'll have to go either on a few razed blocks of the Annex or in the middle of Queen's Park...take your pick! Or you could lobby Trinity to relinquish some of their land so that they have more options other than just a playing field immediately adjacent to Bloor. They could put the raised structure along Bloor, or take some of Devonshire and put the bleachers there, but you'd probably complain either way that it's not world class enough for Bloor. If Libeskind designed the bleachers, would you be satisfied? It's U of T's land...you get what we pay for.

I suppose we could put the playing field on stilts...

I agree with Jozl.

Government funding accounts for more than half of U.O.T.'s revenue, and its relationship with the city is an important one. I'm sure if the city really wanted something different for that stretch of Bloor it could have had enormous influence, but I'm not suggesting that the stadium must not be there. Rather that a better integration to Bloor should have been part of the plan. A mixed use development, incorporating what could perhaps be a more grand and/or architecturally significant entrance to the stadium, that maintains the streetwall of what is one of the city's most luxurious and prominent thoroughfares would have been more appropriate.

You can't "maintain" the street wall unless you mean the brick wall that has been there for a hundred years. The stadium has been there for years, and Bloor street seems to be doing just fine. Having a bit of retail space along Bloor with a Starbucks or Second Cup (whichever doesn't get the One Bedford location) isn't going to somehow drag Yorkville west to Spadina. It's an institutional neighbourhood and always will be, unless you want to tear down UTS, the RCM, and the Admissions building.

In any case, a university shouldn't be paying for a gold-plated football stadium when its students suffer from massive upper-year classes and crumbling teaching and residence buildings. U of T doesn't get any funding whatsoever from the city (it even pays for its own policing). If the city wants an elaborate project on that site in order to benefit all of the city's residents, they should pay for it.

Universities pay for their own policing because Universities are diligent about underscoring that they are private property, which the police can't enter without justification. Just like your home.

When I was in undergrad, the university would go so far as to block all the entrances to campus one day a year in order to protect their right to do it any time they wanted. Normally, they did it on a Sunday in August, when no one was around anyway.

When my smoke detector went off on Tuesday because of the dust produced by the renovator, the fire trucks were at my door within a couple of minutes. For fire, CHUBB doesn't phone you first, they just dispatch. I told the fireman ( the most handsome man ever!! ) it was a false alarm, but he wanted to look around anyway, so I let him in. He had one of those deep "policeman" voices that are difficult to say no to. To say nothing of his face, and the rest of him ...

Oh, er, anyway, what a nice stadium and sports field. I think the juxtaposition of the cultural sector on Bloor right next door to a stadium is a charming idea. I'm so glad they maintained the university athletic traditions of the neighbourhood and didn't build condos, or a shopping centre, or offices on this site. I like how it is wide open to view from Bloor.

WHAT?!? You didn't arrange yourself in a prone position and demand mouth to mouth?

No, but I'll be staking out at the lovely little art deco fire station at Carlaw and Gerrard on a regular basis from now on.

Back