News   Jul 12, 2024
 818     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 740     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 311     0 

U of T: New Varsity Stadium (Diamond + Schmitt)

AoD:

I'm glad to hear the University wants to take back the building with Club Monaco in it. I don't like it when the University sells out!

"I don't like it when the University sells out! "

I wouldn't call leasing out unused space "selling out", exactly.

U of T is in the process of planning to take back the Club Monaco site (Lilian Massey Bldg) and turn it into the University Arts Centre/Gallery.

It's not U of T's to take back. It belongs to Victoria College.

It's not U of T's to take back. It belongs to Victoria College.

....a federated college of the University of Toronto. Big deal. Don't be so pedantic.

Federated yes. But its property is its own, and separate from that owned by the University.

^ He's not just being ornery. It's an important point, because the money that comes from that kind of land ownership goes to Victoria, not the other colleges. So some U of T colleges are flush with cash, and others... not so much. It's a cause of some resentment.

Re: Open to the street

My guess is 12 ft high primary school chain link fence (I'm not joking either).

I will be pedantic and point out the Trinity, Vic (and St. Mikes?) are universities in and of themselves, regardless of their U of T connections.

Yes, St. Mike's, as well...all three could separate and become independent degree granting universities.

My guess is 12 ft high primary school chain link fence (I'm not joking either).

A long time ago I asked Bruce Kidd what would happen if the referendum on the Varsity Stadium proposal of the day didn't go through. He said it would wind up like Central Tech: 12 ft primary (secondary?) school chain link fence.

He wasn't joking, either.

The University of St. Michael's College
The University of Trinity College
and Victoria University.

They all are universities, but really in name only. They all grant degrees, but not very many. I think Trin and St Mike's are limited to theological degrees I think. The vast majority of degrees people attending these colleges obtained are U of T degrees, and the same regardless of which college you attended.

Vic has sold a lot of land for $$$. I think Vic has sold out, personally, as has St Mike's by selling off greenspace on Bay Street. Vic because they were greedy, and St Mike's because they were desperate. You'd think U of T would want to maintain its borders. Odd how U of T is being encroached on on the East and Northeast, but its expanding on the North (the Medical Arts Building) and South (former TDSB HQ).

I agree with Buildup, this is a wasted opportunity and one that will be regreted later. Such prime real estate in an area that is quickly becoming Toronto's 'museum mile'!

Vic's transactions have all been ground leases. They still own the land under the Collonade, and McKinsey & Co., and the Club Monaco/Ombudsman building.

BA degrees, at least, from Trin are granted by the University of Trinity College, not the University of Toronto. I don't know what Vic and St. Mikes do.

^ And that's why Vic is filthy rich while St. Mike's is broke...they made like $30 million off the land they just sold but they'll blow through it in no time instead of raking in a lot more in rent over a long period.

As for the chain link fence, they've had one there since the stadium was demolished.

"I agree with Buildup, this is a wasted opportunity and one that will be regreted later. Such prime real estate in an area that is quickly becoming Toronto's 'museum mile'!

Again, a silly response...where else is the stadium going to go? The only other thing they could do is move the facilities structure to the north end to front Bloor so that a few stores or restaurants can go in there but there's no incentive to do so when there wont be any retail on either side or across the street. Maybe everything between the RCM and Bata should be razed so that Libeskind can build more ridiculous crap on these prime sites.

Back